Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,877

0 members and 2,877 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    BPnet Veteran recycling goddess's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: for all you spider owners out there...

is head wobble a problem with spiders?
    in light, Aleesha

You have 1440 minutes a day... how are you going to spend yours?

Banned
    Thanks

Smile Re: for all you spider owners out there...

Head wobble....
    Quote Originally Posted by recycling goddess
    is head wobble a problem with spiders?

BPnet Veteran recycling goddess's Avatar
    Thanks

no seriously... is it?
    in light, Aleesha

You have 1440 minutes a day... how are you going to spend yours?

Thanks

Yes. Some show signs of minimal wobble while others have it so severe that they cannot even function normally just as some do not show any signs of it.

Avoid ones with a wobble. It is believed to be a neuroligical problem associated with the spider gene.

The bad part is a spider without a wobble can produce babies with the wobble and vice versa.

I looked for a long time but finally found a spider with no wobble that was produced by an adult spider that never showed the wobble.

Thanks

Here is a link to a thread I started a while back on Fauna regarding the wobble on some spiders. Lots of good information regarding the topic was posted by many people.

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...=spider+wobble

Thanks

Here's the deal...lots of people are beginning to notice that at some point in the life of a spider, they exhibit some sign of a "motor control" issue. Keep in mind that normals can exhibit this trait too!

Where the issue comes into play is when you are talking about selling spiders and buyers having all the facts on the issue. There are people out there that, without knowing all the facts, will go on a message board crying and making waves about how so and so sold them a spider that wasn't a spinner but then it did exhibit some spinning behaviors. That's the reason why some sellers don't want to touch the issue.

Some spiders spin to a very high degree, to the point that no responsible breeder would even think about selling or breeding it. Others spin to such a lesser degree that their keeper probably never ever notices it. And just because a hatchling doesn't show signs of spinning, there's no way a seller can guarantee that it never will.

But here's some food for thought - look at how many spiders are making it into collections everywhere...look how many spider combos there are out there...they are obviously eating, growing, and breeding well....so it can only be concluded that spinning obviously isn't any more a health issue in spiders as it is in normals.

As a buyer, just don't be surprised when one day you observe some 'funky' behavior by your spider.
    -Brad

7. The Following User Says Thank You to elevatethis For This Useful Post:

whispersinmyhead (05-05-2013)

Banned
    Thanks

Smile Re: for all you spider owners out there...

Brad, I applaud your honesty and courage with this post! it is exactly what a Spider is all about. Spiders will do things that you will never see other ball pythons do. it makes me cringe when I hear a breeder tell someone that their Spiders dont exhibit these behaviors. the facts are that Spiders are strong feeders that grow well and breed.
    Quote Originally Posted by elevatethis
    Here's the deal...lots of people are beginning to notice that at some point in the life of a spider, they exhibit some sign of a "motor control" issue. Keep in mind that normals can exhibit this trait too!

Where the issue comes into play is when you are talking about selling spiders and buyers having all the facts on the issue. There are people out there that, without knowing all the facts, will go on a message board crying and making waves about how so and so sold them a spider that wasn't a spinner but then it did exhibit some spinning behaviors. That's the reason why some sellers don't want to touch the issue.

Some spiders spin to a very high degree, to the point that no responsible breeder would even think about selling or breeding it. Others spin to such a lesser degree that their keeper probably never ever notices it. And just because a hatchling doesn't show signs of spinning, there's no way a seller can guarantee that it never will.

But here's some food for thought - look at how many spiders are making it into collections everywhere...look how many spider combos there are out there...they are obviously eating, growing, and breeding well....so it can only be concluded that spinning obviously isn't any more a health issue in spiders as it is in normals.

As a buyer, just don't be surprised when one day you observe some 'funky' behavior by your spider.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Here's a great write up that Adam recently did on Spiders:

The Real Spin on Spiders

Hope that helps! And I think my favorite all time spider was the one that Susan (daaang) got from Adam this year - I hope she posts a picture of it!

Thanks

I like them all, but I like this one the best, because he is mine!!

Rik

0.4.0 Normals
    1.0.0 Albino
    1.2.0 Spider

Thanks

I agree with syclone! Everyone has some killer spiders going on!!! But Ganoush is my lil hottie!

Ok...how many times have I posted this pic now? Hehe!

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast