Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,910

1 members and 2,909 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

Shedding around the claws

Hi guys. When I was younger my brother kept Leos, he had four, and two are still alive. He sort of outgrew his interest as a child, and so my mom has been keeping them, and they're now about 10 years old. They're not neglected persay, but definetly don't get the kind of attention I think they deserve, so I've been thinking about taking them off her hands. I have a question about the way they shed around their feet and claws. One of the Gecks, Bonnie, is missing all the claws on one foot. This was a result of the shed staying tight around her toes and no one noticing in time to get it off. I was looking at them last night and they both have some remaining around their feet from the last shed. What's the easiest way to get this off without hurting them?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,326 Times in 1,368 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Shedding around the claws

first they need a humid hide in their enclosure. something like a small tupperware container with a hole cut in it will work. put damp paper towels in the hide and mist every few days, replace when soiled or once a week or so. place the humid hide on the warm side of the tank for best results, and so you don't have cold, wet geckos.

if the shed that is stuck on their feet now isn't constricting their toes and isn't built up from several sheds you should be able to remove it fairly easily with a wet q-tip. if this doesn't work soak them for about 10-15 minutes in lukewarm water and then try removing the shed again with a wet q-tip. if still no luck, place them in their humid hide and soak and try again tomorrow. being able to stay in the humid hide overnight should help quite a bit.

if at any time the toes become red, raw or irritated looking stop immediately. this means that the shed is severely stuck and by removing it you are taking off good skin. if this happens rinse the toes with betadine or chlorhexadine/novalsan and put a light coat of triple antibiotic ointment on them. soak the toes in betadine or chlorhexadine/novalsan once per day and re-coat with triple antibiotic ointment until the toes are healed and the old shed has sloughed away.
    - Emily

Thanks

Re: Shedding around the claws

I'm really wanting to take them from my mom... She's doing what she thinks is right but it just really isn't. She doesn't have much for hides, doesn't monitor humidity, uses sand substrate that's pretty stinky, a heat rock (which I tried and tried to warn her about), and from what I've read here, overfeeds.

I will try what you suggested for the shed. Poor thing doesn't have any front claws . One of the gecks that died, Derby, actually lost a front leg to this.