Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,882

2 members and 2,880 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Surrendered my girls today.

I called the vet today and they said theyd take my two sick female geckos. They are going to treat em then either find them homes or keep them at the vet for mascots, obvisouly if they get better. I was out of ideas and money to help these geckos so this was the best possible thing for them, im sure you will agree. I kept the male who is now housed in a 10g tank as he seems very healthy. I want to move him to the 20 high but not until I can thoroughly disinfect the cage and hides. Im still not possitive its crypto but am next to possitive it is. So id like to disinfect as you would if you were possitive it was crypto. any suggestions?

Thanks

Re: Surrendered my girls today.

What makes you think it is Crypto? Have fecal tests been run? So far, nothing that I am aware of has been proven to be 100% effective in killing Crypto although ammonia based products have shown some promise. The best option would be to disinfect any plastic or glass with ammonia, then boiling water. Anything porous such as branches, plants, etc should be thrown out. Good luck!

Thanks

I think its crypto cause they have all the signs. losing weight not eating.very foul smelling diarhea. all for about 3 weeks. they have been tested for parasites and it can back negative , I cant afford a crypto test or treatment.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by moespeaking
    I think its crypto cause they have all the signs. losing weight not eating.very foul smelling diarhea. all for about 3 weeks. they have been tested for parasites and it can back negative , I cant afford a crypto test or treatment.
    Just curious...but if a vet has taken them in to rehab...then they would have to run the tests themselves, wouldn't they? They should let you know what the results were so you can know for sure if you have crypto in your house. That's some nasty stuff and you definitely want to know if you're really dealing with it or not.
    -- Judy

Thanks

yea thats a good call I only surrendered them about 2 hours ago, I do plan on calling them in a few days to see what they have come up with. But Ive also read that crypto doesnt always show when they run the test, so I kind of want to play it safe. The male was with the females for a few days so I fear he too may be infected even though hes not showing any signs as of yet.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JLC
    Just curious...but if a vet has taken them in to rehab...then they would have to run the tests themselves, wouldn't they? They should let you know what the results were so you can know for sure if you have crypto in your house. That's some nasty stuff and you definitely want to know if you're really dealing with it or not.
    Very true..Also, there is no treatment for Crypto at this time. Those symptoms could just as well be indicative of any other Protozoan. Possibly something easily treatable. Crypto is definitely nasty and its best to be sure.

Thanks

I treated all the geckos with panacur for 5 days the vet said that should of cleared out any parasites excluding crypto.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,326 Times in 1,368 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by moespeaking
    The male was with the females for a few days so I fear he too may be infected even though hes not showing any signs as of yet.
    any exposure at all, even just to you after you handled an infected geckos means that he has it. many times a gecko will carry the disease but not show symptoms as long as their bodies are strong enough to fight it back. any stress or other ailments could bring it to the surface, so do keep an eye on your male, and plan for possible testing and treatment for him if necessary. this all said, IF of course it is actually crypto that you are dealing with here.
    - Emily