Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,156

0 members and 3,156 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

I picked up this little one today..

We were only going to the Lake County Show to look since Randy has never been to a reptile show before. He told me I couldn't get anything new because I had just got those geckos but he liked this little Baird's Rat Snake.

We named him Ruger.

Thanks

Wink Re: I picked up this little one today..

you fooled me...it really looks like a great plains rat snake. Nice little guy you got there. Eating on his first day? If so, that is a good sign
    Co-owner of a reptile store

Thanks

Re: I picked up this little one today..

Cute little guy but why did you feed him? Should have waited a week and just let him settle in before offering him a meal. I hope he doesn't regurge! I was stupid and did that when I got Jinx... then again Wednesday's where feeding day at that pet store and I was told to go a head and feed him when I got home then next morning I saw what had happened. I know a lot of people tore me a new one for doing that but then again I didn't know better back then...
    ---=ALLISON=---
    "Not everyone is going to agree or listen to what you say but I have learned to do my best to educate and hope they listen in the long run. Just keep trying to educate. There will be people out there that actually do listen and learn. -Me"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lillyorchid
    Cute little guy but why did you feed him? Should have waited a week and just let him settle in before offering him a meal. I hope he doesn't regurge! I was stupid and did that when I got Jinx... then again Wednesday's where feeding day at that pet store and I was told to go a head and feed him when I got home then next morning I saw what had happened. I know a lot of people tore me a new one for doing that but then again I didn't know better back then...
    The guy I got him from told me he hadn't eaten in awhile.
    If he didn't take it no biggie but I thought I'd try.

He's now getting a week to settle in before handling.

Thanks

oh and I've fed the first day before and I've never had any regurges. I know it's possible but so far so good.

Thanks

Nice pick up some day I need to have one of those specificly since they are native to the southwest and Texas.

On the feeding, everyone says wait a day or three or what ever number they seem to pluck from their butt on that day. My view is a stressed snake will not eat, if you offer and he/she eats that tells you they are not stressed.

Read "Keeper and the Kept" by Karl K and learn the orgin of the fame of the Okeetee Cornsnake. You will also read about how Karl (one of the real pioneers of modern herping), fed a new captive corn snake anoles FROM THE HAND only moments after catching.

I think the entire herp world is generaly well over thought. In most instances snakes need the following,

Good temps
    A place to hide
    Water
    Food

If you give them that they are cool. They don't "think" they can't understand time. They only get the moment they are in, that is the entire ability of their mental functions. This is in part why they are relatively content in a small cage much smaller then the area they live in, in the wild.

I actually think it helps to feed a new snake. They eat and they then find a warm spot and sit and digest, how much better could you do for getting a new snake settled in. Think about a couch on Thanksgiving day after dinner, everyone is quite "settled in".

I honestly think when it comes to snakes most people think far to much! Dogma is not true just because it is accepted,
    Jack Spirko

Check out "the site" on the African House Snake - and get a free copy of "The Reptile Book", by Raymond L. Ditmars.

Find stuff you won't find ANYWHERE ELSE! Social Networking at HaterOrLoved

Spammers are scum! If I had my way they would all get reincarnated as feeder mice!

BPnet Veteran MATT FISHER REPTILES's Avatar
    Thanks

and sometimes there is a health guarentee that is only like 3-5 days so if you wait a week to feed and it does not. then you cant return it. i feed most of my snake with in the first 48houst just to be sure they are feeding.
    MATT FISHER REPTILES

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/74
    i keep about 105 balls. and a few boas. creasted and lepord geckos.

BPnet Veteran Pork Chops N' Corn Bread's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MATT FISHER REPTILES
    and sometimes there is a health guarentee that is only like 3-5 days so if you wait a week to feed and it does not. then you cant return it. i feed most of my snake with in the first 48houst just to be sure they are feeding.
    Agreed. I never waited more than a couple days to feed with the boas atleast. Balls may be a different story....
    ~Jake~
    Too many boas to list and a few balls as well

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jjspirko
    Nice pick up some day I need to have one of those specificly since they are native to the southwest and Texas.

On the feeding, everyone says wait a day or three or what ever number they seem to pluck from their butt on that day. My view is a stressed snake will not eat, if you offer and he/she eats that tells you they are not stressed.

Read "Keeper and the Kept" by Karl K and learn the orgin of the fame of the Okeetee Cornsnake. You will also read about how Karl (one of the real pioneers of modern herping), fed a new captive corn snake anoles FROM THE HAND only moments after catching.

I think the entire herp world is generaly well over thought. In most instances snakes need the following,

Good temps
    A place to hide
    Water
    Food

If you give them that they are cool. They don't "think" they can't understand time. They only get the moment they are in, that is the entire ability of their mental functions. This is in part why they are relatively content in a small cage much smaller then the area they live in, in the wild.

I actually think it helps to feed a new snake. They eat and they then find a warm spot and sit and digest, how much better could you do for getting a new snake settled in. Think about a couch on Thanksgiving day after dinner, everyone is quite "settled in".

I honestly think when it comes to snakes most people think far to much! Dogma is not true just because it is accepted,
    I agree

If I pick a snake up at a show I usually offer food right away because generally they weren't fed recently because of travel and I like to see if they are comfortable enough to eat.
    I do limit the handling time as much as possible though.

As you said, seeing them eat and then settle into a new home is a good thing.

Thanks

Beautiful bairds you got there joyful girl. You don't see too many about on the forums. Here's my little guy, Mulligan, fourteen months and starting to morph big time

0.1 Albino Cali King, Gertrude
    0.1 Mexican Black King, Gladys
    0.0.1 Bairds Rat Snake
    1.1 Lavender corns
    1.0 Huachuca Mountain King (L.p. Woodini)
    The wee man, Oscar, Border Collie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast