Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 665

1 members and 664 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

New Pet Suggestions?

Hi guys!

I've got a ball python, some fish, and a hamster, but everytime I go to the petstore for supplies, I beeline right over to the lizards and frogs. I think this is a sign!

So, I just moved the fish out of a hexagontal-ish plastic? fish tank. I'll give it a few more scrubs before I'm satisfied with it (plastic was GREAT at holding algae *grumble grumble*), but I'm already browsing caresheets for something that would fit nicely in this tank.

I don't think it's ten gallon, but seems bigger than a 5 gallon? It had a black plastic lid with an encased bulb...pretty standard desk fish tank. I'll hunt for a link of something similar and post later, or take a picture...

But in the mean time, any suggestions on what kind of amphibians would do well in this type of tank?

I'm seeing adult leos will need larger (awww, dang it, time to save for another 20 gal)...how about frogs?

Also, I'm not adverse to handling grubs and crickets, etc.; I'm used to checking heat/humidity on the snake cage daily; understand the importance of heat gradients etc. new pet concerns.

Thanks in advance for suggestions

Thanks

Re: New Pet Suggestions?

I can't really suggest any other pets because I do not know much about anything else besides cats and red eared sliders. The only advice I can give you is read care sheets and research every possible angle of whatever animal you choose. Who likes to spend money on a setup only to find out it was wrong or even worse the animal dies.
    lots of snakes

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

well if your short on cash for an enclosure but you dont mind using plastic then why not just go out and get yourself a nice big rubbermaid to keep something in??? you probably know this but they are easily modified to hold reptiles. but (like tim said), make sure to do proper research before bringing home an animal to put in it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tmlowe5704
    ...read care sheets and research every possible angle of whatever animal you choose. Who likes to spend money on a setup only to find out it was wrong or even worse the animal dies.
    I agree totally. I wasn't really in the market for yet another tank in the house, but I figured if I can find something that will thrive in this size, I'll do my research and check them out

Thanks

I'm not very well read on the proper husbandry of dart frogs but I am fascinated by them and plan on getting some this summer.
    SamsPython.com
    1.0 bp - Darth

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

research dwarf leaf chameleons. i had a couple before and they were fine in a 10 gal.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigballs
    nice big rubbermaid

I'd prefer using the tank I already have. Also, I like the visual appeal of display tanks.

thanks though

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

i was just saying if you cant afford tanks and screen tops and you must have a new animal then a rubbermaid may be a cash friendly solution for you.

good luck with your pet search!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigballs
    research dwarf leaf chameleons. i had a couple before and they were fine in a 10 gal.
    Thanks! I'll look into those. My main concern is keeping the animal fairly ground dwelling, since the tank is a little wider than it is tall.

This is the closest thing I could find to my tank.
    http://www.amazon.com/5-Gallon-Aquar...3383281&sr=8-4

Thanks

hey guys
    after doing some researching, I think I'm leaning towards african dwarf frogs. Anyone have any?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast