Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,914

0 members and 2,914 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Held my first Kingsnake

I went to the petstore yesterday and held my first Kingsnake. My fiance was the one to fall in love with it. Didn't even want to put it back in its tub. It was such a beautiful snake and very very calm. My fiance wanted it so badly, but his mother would have said "No". When we brought pictures back to the house, his mother thought the snake was beautiful, but she still didn't want a snake in the house. A pity because the snake was just awsome.

So I was wondering. My next snake was going to be a corn, but now I'm wondering if maybe I should get a Kingsnake. So all of you with Kingsnakes, tell me a bit about them. The man at the store said they'd do nicely in a 30-40g tank. They eat full grown mice when they reach adult size and they are more likely to put out a musk smell than to bite you, correct?

Oh and there was also a Mexican Kingsnake. It was all black. That one is definatly on my list!
    Under Construction.....

Thanks

Re: Held my first Kingsnake

I've got 6 kings (I think.. haha)

On the whole, they tend to be more apt to bite than corns. Young ones especially.. but if they're worked with they can be docile pets.

One of my adults musks and bites every time you try to handle her.. another adult (a cali king) will bite, and the rest are pretty well behaved.. my subadult cali king and my mexican black king both have not bitten since they were babies.. my greyband king has never bitten.

April
    My art gallery (herp related) http://cerulean-serpent.deviantart.com/

Thanks

The guy at the petstore said the kingsnake my fiance was holding had never bitten anyone, another tended to musk, and another was a biter. The snake we were looking at was very docile and the guy said that he would be suprised if it ever bit someone. Of course, all snakes can bite, no matter if they've never done it in the past.

I might get one this summer, but the man said they do better in tanks rather than tubs. Is this true?
    Under Construction.....

Thanks

I see no reason why they'd do better in tanks.. all mine live in tubs and they are doing great.

April
    My art gallery (herp related) http://cerulean-serpent.deviantart.com/

BPnet Veteran Pork Chops N' Corn Bread's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jay_Bunny
    I might get one this summer, but the man said they do better in tanks rather than tubs. Is this true?
    I see no reason why tanks are better other than to make you spend $100's more at the place you buy the snake from. Kings like most colubrids are relatively active so they will use all the space you give them, ecspecially adults. A 41 qt tub is an awesome size for adult kings but may be called overkill by some breeders, ecspecially for corns.

I've had no bad experience with kings other than that they are so darn cute. Never gotten a bite from one or a musk.
    I'd say go for it if you are ready
    ~Jake~
    Too many boas to list and a few balls as well