Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,821

1 members and 2,820 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Asian Water Monitor and Savannah Monitor

I went to Noah's Pets yesterday to ask about rat pinkies and decided to pop on into the reptile room to look around at new arrivals as I always do. Well they had leopard geckos, two savannah monitors, a handful of baby corns and a couple of king snakes. When I went further into the room to look at the red-tailed boas, one cage didn't have a snake, but this interesting looking lizard. The lable on the cage said Asian Water Monitor. I asked the man many questions about him. What size enclosure it would need (a room, he said), how are thier temperments, are they prone to bite, what do they eat, ect. We also got to see it eat a pinky and I got some cool pics on my cell phone.

I figured this lizard would be hard to keep even if I waited years and years and got experience. After researching a bit more on them, I've decided a 7ft+ lizard living in its own room is not something I could handle years down the road, so the Asian Water Monitor is now off my list of reptiles I want.

But they did have two savannah monitors. One was still a baby, the other fully grown. I didn't get a chance to ask the man about them as much because we had to leave, so I was wondering. Are they easier to keep than an AWM? What size enclosure do they require? What do they eat?

Don't worry, I won't be getting a monitor for many years, but I'd like to know a little bit about a savannah monitor so I know if I should cross it off my list as well. And if a Savannah monitor does too difficult for me to handle, what monitor would you recommend? I've heard there are beginner monitors out there.
    Under Construction.....

BPnet Veteran Pork Chops N' Corn Bread's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Asian Water Monitor and Savannah Monitor

Savanna monitors are pretty cool but you really need to work to get them tame. They eat a lot and will get fat if you aren't careful. 6' by 3' is decent size cage for an adult savanna but I would go 8' by 4' if you have the room. They are burrowers by nature but I haven't seen many that like to burrow myself. Basking lights with a basking surface temp(Pro exotics temp guns rock!!) of 110-130+ degrees. Keep the cage at an ambient of no lower than 70 degrees(75-80 is better). Humidity in the 60% range is fine and they will hold lots of humidity in the burrows. Just plain old dirt from an area of no pesticides is awesome!!! 2'+- deep is good for the burrows. Just be ready to order bulk frozen mice because they can eat a lot!!! My boy would go through 5 mice in less than 2 minutes every other day when he was still growing. In all, awesome captives if you have the time and space.

As for a good starter monitor I would go for ackies. None ever get bigger than 3' and very rarely much over 2'. Like it hot and are mainly insectivores.

Hope this helps a bit
    ~Jake~
    Too many boas to list and a few balls as well

BPnet Veteran MATT FISHER REPTILES's Avatar
    Thanks

good post jake.

yes a water monitor will get way bigger then 7ft try almost9. they are the second largest lizzard in the world.

i have a sav. he is relly tame. when i got him about a year ago he was a little standoffish. but i would get him out about 3 times a week and hold him for about 20 mins. he is now a dog. he eats medium rats every 3 days with some monitor bites in between. but i would also recomend a black throat as they are the close cusion to the sav. and are just a little neater as they get older. just keep in mind monitors = large food bill.
    MATT FISHER REPTILES

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/74
    i keep about 105 balls. and a few boas. creasted and lepord geckos.

Thanks

Are black throats aggressive??I always thought they were i think i have only been around two juvies and they both seemed aggressive. you guys would know more than me.

~mike
    “The richest value of wilderness lie not in the days of Daniel Boone, nor even in the present but rather in the future.” - Aldo Leopold

BPnet Veteran MATT FISHER REPTILES's Avatar
    Thanks

all monitors have the ability to be relly mean. i cant think of a single peacefull monitor. in the wild they are visious hunters. with that said. there are different types that seem to tame down more than others.

akies
    black throats
    savs
    and a couple others.

when i bought my sav i must of looked at 5 diffent stores till i found one that didnt mind being held to much. and we took him home and built on that. black throats are like most lizzards or any herp for that matter they are born with a internal trigger to be scared and flee or attack anything bigger than they are. so as they get bigger and begin to trust you they usually calm down verry nice. my sav is awesome. ( as long as he is not hungery. if he is hungery he will bite anything that comes in his cage but if he is well fed you can reach right in and pick him up.)
    MATT FISHER REPTILES

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/74
    i keep about 105 balls. and a few boas. creasted and lepord geckos.

Thanks

No monitor lizard is ever 'tame' or 'domesticated'. Some species tolerate humans better than others, some can be 'trained', and some are less likely to bite out of defense.......but they are never 'tame'.

If someone is interested in a 'first monitor', I would suggest getting some yellow ackies. They are small (avg. 18" TL) and the generally the 'friendliest' out of the yellow and red ackies.

Savs are not a bad choice for a first, but do require more space. And water monitors should only be kept by someone experienced with large lizards and adequate faculities to keep them.

Thanks

we call them malayan water monitors here in singapore, and they are really common...
    a few months ago, one came up to the house and ate a couple koi from the pond, then lay beneath my dad's car for a rest

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Waters are known for being great as aults. If you work with them, you'll have a great lizard. We have an 8 foot water that we take to shows and kids get to pet it and they take it to all of the educational programns. Never bit anyone at a show or any of the owners. I am sure there has been a bite or two as a baby but thats expected.
    nada

Thanks

What size cage would an Ackie need? I saw my friend's bearded dragon enclosure and it looked pretty big. 6' by 3'. Would that be a decent size for an ackie?
    Under Construction.....

Thanks

i have a tahi water dragon,when they are fully grown, most people put them in pretty big enclosure(6'tall x 6'wide x 3' deep) they are jump and nervous when u first get them but given tim,e they will tame down,mine tamed pretty quickly and will take food from my hand when in the mood.very alert too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast