Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,255

2 members and 3,253 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
    Thanks

New Spotted Python Pair

OK I need the opinion of some with more knowledge about spotted pythons. I think I got a hell of a deal or someone made a mistake and that is why I got a heck of a deal!

I just went to the NARBC in Arlington a the other week. Walked around a lot but did not see too much I had to have. Almost picke up a rufus beak but held off. While at the Glades Herp booth I saw a pair of spotteds.

They have always been a well someday may be snake. They were a 1.1 pair and selling for 60 each. 120 for a pair, the guy looked em up and said they were CB06. I plunked down the money and left happily.

Now I never really researched them and figured heck can't be too much trouble and they are real easy to care for. They eat like mini retics! Heck they squeeze a FT mouse like all get out. What I am now wondering about is size.

The larger animal is about 30 inches and about the girth of my thumb the smaller about 26 inches and the girth of my first finger (My ring size is 13.5 big fingers). Now reading about spotteds I am wondering.

Do you think I got a pair of CB05 for the price of CB06s. Hell the record size is only like a meter and a but more. That would be a tiny bit over 40 inches. Can a spotted get to 30 inches in one year.

I kind of feel bad about it if I got them way underpriced but I did not try it on purpose. What do ya'll think that have spotteds? With the size would you think there is any way they are only a year old?
    Jack Spirko

Check out "the site" on the African House Snake - and get a free copy of "The Reptile Book", by Raymond L. Ditmars.

Find stuff you won't find ANYWHERE ELSE! Social Networking at HaterOrLoved

Spammers are scum! If I had my way they would all get reincarnated as feeder mice!

Thanks

Re: New Spotted Python Pair

Jack,

I would have to think that they were a pair of 05's with that size. But, if they feed them REALLY well, I guess they could get that big. I don't know for sure because I have never pushed mine to eat that much for that fast of growth.

We are going to have to meet up one day, as I tend to be at the same shows and I guess we either pass by each other or are there at different times.

Thanks

Not a bad deal on the pair at all. Around here I have seen spotted and children's going for about $75each. I picked up my children's at the 05 NARBC show in Chicago for like $45 the last day of show after some haggling. I agree that you could have an 05 at that size, my children's is a little more than a year old and is still much smaller than what your describing and a great eater.

I just had my children's out last night, I love that little guy!
    www.ASFRats.info African soft-furred rats information and exchange.

www.WarrenReptiles.com
    Website Hosting available see site for details

Thanks

Yea I am just getting to where I have to believe they were miss marked as 06s. Like you said if VERY WELL FED it MIGHT be possible for them to get this big in a single year.

I just figure a reseller isn't going to go out of their way power feeding snakes. Simply because when you are looking to sell an animal it is inventory so you feed enough to keep it healthy but that is about it.

Just when I actually saw how small a hatchling was I was pretty sure I got older snakes then advertised,
    Jack Spirko

Check out "the site" on the African House Snake - and get a free copy of "The Reptile Book", by Raymond L. Ditmars.

Find stuff you won't find ANYWHERE ELSE! Social Networking at HaterOrLoved

Spammers are scum! If I had my way they would all get reincarnated as feeder mice!

Thanks

Pictures??

....congrats on getting the spotteds. Sounds like you got a well established pair

I love my two Children's pythons......Little pythons are cool

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

Based on the sizes you've given I would say they are in the range of 18 months old.

I remember seeing a growth chart somewhere on-line for the maculosa comparing 6 or 7 snakes monthy over the course of 24 months. That would be a good yardstick for approximating their age.

Congrats on the pickup - fun snakes - we love ours.