Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,111

0 members and 1,111 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42

Thread: Close call

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Close call

this afternoon I have spent most of my time on spider forums and websites and usually I go back and forth checking on my spiders. I didn't want to bother them too much so I left them alone..Then a few minutes ago I went back in there to check on them and my N. Vulpinus is hard to see through the tub because its camoflauged with the substrate. So I opened it up and low and behold my N. Vulpinus slipped through the tub top and the side of the tub this made my hear race because one I have havent been bit yet and don't want to, second if I didn't catch him when I did (because this little guy is fast) he would have got lost in that room and he is small enough to slip under the door without a problem. Thank god for a catch up and critter keeper I had close by. So now I neeed some important information is my N. Vulpinus a terresterial? semi-aboreal? aboreal? I ask this not only because of my close call but also because since he is been in the critter keeper he has stayed near the top of the lid. I want to house him properly so he doesnt get out....

Thanks

Re: Close call

They are terrestrial, and opportunistic burrowers. It is normal for it to stay toward the top of the tank until it gets settled in. I would expect it will start using a hide before long, don't worry. Also, it is always a good idea to keep a cup handy in case of escapes.
    Rats in the hold. Crew is dead, I fear the plague.....

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ErikH
    They are terrestrial, and opportunistic burrowers. It is normal for it to stay toward the top of the tank until it gets settled in. I would expect it will start using a hide before long, don't worry. Also, it is always a good idea to keep a cup handy in case of escapes.

Erik thanks for all your help, not only are you giving me a lot of usual information you also respond quicky. well what I did was change its enclosure. I went from a tub to keeping it in a tank. now its in a 20 gallon tank with a sliding lock so he /she should be fine in there. as soon I put him / her in there they walked on top of a hide then went into the hide so I guess they'll be fine in there. have you or anyone else ever did business with www.surenastarantulas.com if so are they reliable? are they not with doing business with?

Thanks

No, I am not familiar with that dealer. You can try posting in the inquiries section of arachnoboards. That 20 gallon tank might be kind of big for your vulpinus, though. I can't really tell from the pictures, but I am going to guess it is around 2" across? A large kritter keeper is plenty big enough if that is the case. Figure 1.5 time the legspan for distance between the lid and substrate, 2 to 3 times the legspan for container width, and 3 times the legspan or a little more for length of the container. (This is just for terrestrials) So a 4" tarantula could be housed in a container that is 8-12 inches wide, 12 to 18 inches long, and has 12 inches deep with six inches of substrate. For deep burrowers and arboreals, people often turn tanks on their side to allow more height or burrowing depth.
    Rats in the hold. Crew is dead, I fear the plague.....