Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 766

1 members and 765 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Aggressive species

Ok Soon I'll be getting another tarantula but I'm one of thos super extra caution tarantula owners so I want an aggressive terresterial one.

so from this list what should I choose?

( leave out the ones on this list that maybe aboreal because when i choose from botar's list his descriptions sometimes leave out of its terresterial or aboreal Also if its not aggresive dont pick it as choice because in some of his descriptions it doesnt say if its aggressive or not)

My favorite one so far is the Usumbara Baboon (Pterinochilus murinus) if I get this one I'll be getting it at 4.5"

Thai Tiger (Haplopelma longipes)
    Cobalt Blue (Haplopelma lividum)
    Haitian Brown Tarantula (Phormictopus cancerides)
    Pedersen's Ornamental (Poecilotheria pederseni)
    Indian Ornamental (Poecilotheria regalis)
    Trinidad Chevron (Psalmopoeus cambridgei)
    Suntiger Tarantula (Psalmopoeus irminia)
    Usumbara Baboon (Pterinochilus murinus)

Thanks

Re: Aggressive species

Haplopelmas are burrowers so unless you want "pet dirt", not a wise choice for terrestrial.

P.cancerides is a good species.

"Pokies" are arboreal

The Psalmopoeus species are arboreal

P.murinus is a good terrestrial species.

so if you want a terrestrial, either P.cancerides or P.murinus.
    FB: https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile....00001688532105
    Upcoming concerts:
    October 10: KoRn
    October 11 - Bon Jovi
    October 19: Death Angel
    October 26 - Avenged Sevenfold, Deftones, Ghost
    October 28: Slayer
    November 8 - Nine Inch Nails
    November 15 - Kreator, Overkill, Warbringer
    November 27: In This Moment
    -Misael

Thanks

Poecilotheria and psalmopoeus are arboreal species, so you probably don't want any of those on your list.
    All of the rest are quite capable of throwing you a threat response.

Haplopelma are aggressive/defensive and are deep burrowers; people often refer to them as "pet holes" If you don't have a problem with the fact that you won't see them very often, they are good choices. You can house them in the same manner as your h. gigas: Deep, damp substrate.

I don't know a whole lot about phormictopus cancerides, except to say that they are supposed to be fairly fast growers, and somewhat aggressive/defensive. They typically are more visible than the other choices you mentioned, and are somewhat slower too, but any t. can move quickly when it wants to. They are supposed to be eating machines.

Pterinochilus murinus are very defensive, and very fast. People often describe them as being able to "teleport" from one end of the tank to the other. They are very hardy and forgiving to poor husbandry. They prefer a drier environment than the other choices you mentioned. They web alot and although most people keep them as burrowers, they are semi-arboreal and some will build a web tube above ground instead of using a burrow. People typically set up their enclosure with some crossed pieces of bark that they can burrow or hide under. Their bite is supposed to pack quite a punch, and they are quite capapble of biting you 3 times before you even realize what has happened. People often refer to them as OBT's (orange bitey things).
    They typically top out at around 5.5", and are reputed to live about 10 years, although males don't live that long.

That said, I guess it really depends on what you are looking for. If you want something that is a little ball of hate, and don't care if you only see it twice a year,go with one of the haplopelmas. If you want to see alot of webbing and an occasional evil orange blur, get the p. murinus. If you want something that will pounce on anything you put in the enclosure, flick hairs at you, and throw an occasional threat response, the p. cancerides might be a good choice.
    Rats in the hold. Crew is dead, I fear the plague.....

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Ok so I have decided to get the 4.5" Usumbara Baboon (Pterinochilus murinus).

what size tub do I need to buy that will be deep enough for this tarantula?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

ok well botar just sent out his last orange baboons so I'll be getting a 2" Haitian Brown Tarantula (Phormictopus cancerides)

Thanks

If you have your heart set on the p. murinus, you can try swift inverts or krazy8's invertebrates, too. Swift was offering .5" p. cancerides as a freebie if you spend $30.00. If you are o.k. with the p. cancerides, then stick with the 2" one from Botar. Another thought, too, have you considered c. crawshayi (king baboon)? They are slow growing and burrowers, but they are among the largest of the African species, don't move as fast as p. murinus, and can actually hiss at you by stridulating the back legs when they get some size to them.

Thanks

Correction: They (Citharischius crawshayi) stridulate their front legs together. That's what happens when you try to post and talk on the phone at the same time