Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,174

1 members and 3,173 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: excited PART 2

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

excited PART 2

Ok so today I got my three new tarantulas. two of them are Cameroon Red Baboon (Hysterocrates gigas) and the other is Brazilian Giant Blonde (Nhandu vulpinus).

One of these guys gave me my first scare.

I took them out of the box then out of their bottles and one by one I unwrapped them from their paper towels they were in and two of them imediately got active and I seen they were fine.

Then I unwrapped the second H gigas. and it didnt move at all it stayed it very still. As stupid was I was acting at the moment I put it really close to my face to see if it was dead obviously a dumb move but nothing happened.

Then I slowly seperated it each toe off of the papertowel real gently because it looked as if it couldn't move then I slowly set it back down into the tank I have it in.

It didn't move at all so I'm like ok its dead then I was about to email botar and tell him its dead and even take a picture of it.

So I went back in the room and used a long stick type thing to nugde it one more time to make sure it wasn't dead and low and behold it rose up and turned around towards the stick as if it was about to bite the stick this kind of made me jump because all this time it didnt move then suddenly before I could blink its alive..I find this very funny because just a few minutes before I had it close to my face so clearly he is alive and well lol.

This is going to be a fun experience with these three T's pictures coming soon.

Thanks

Re: excited PART 2

Not much of a creepy crawly fan but that was a funny story and I wanna see pics haha.
    "I can't even spell spaghetti never mind talk Italian. How could I tell an Italian to get the ball? He might grab mine." Brian Clough

1.0.0 Normal BP Havok

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Even though pictures are coming soon, the blonde is brown with kinda light brown legs. One of the H gigas are black which means its a freshly molted tarantula and the second H gigas is brown. the one that is brown, on the very back of the abdomen it is bald however there is hair over it still...was it kicking hair or is going to moult soon?

Thanks

H. gigas is OW and does not have urticating hairs. OW species still can get bald spots though for a variety of reasons, (stress from shipping, etc.) Most t's look pretty ragged prior to a molt. I wouldn't worry about it as long as it is acting normally. The bald spot will disappear with the next molt. Of course, by then, you probably won't be seeing much but a hole in the substrate and an occasional leg sticking out of it.
    Rats in the hold. Crew is dead, I fear the plague.....

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ErikH
    H. gigas is OW and does not have urticating hairs. OW species still can get bald spots though for a variety of reasons, (stress from shipping, etc.) Most t's look pretty ragged prior to a molt. I wouldn't worry about it as long as it is acting normally. The bald spot will disappear with the next molt. Of course, by then, you probably won't be seeing much but a hole in the substrate and an occasional leg sticking out of it.
    Yea, it was funny last night I kept checking on them just to see what they were doing because I was estatic (sp) to have them. So one time when i check on them the brown one's abdomen and two back legs was sticking out of a hole so I think he was either digging a new hole and got tired and stayed there for a minutes or was on his way down. when I came back he was on the top side of the tank.

I have a question, when H gigas make holes, do they bring the dirt back up out the hole and put it in a pile or do they just move it out the way and patted down to the sides as they burrow down?

Also, since most pet stores don't sell potting soil for a substrate what kind of substrate can I use for a brazilian giant blonde?

Thanks

I think they do a little of both, they move some of the dirt out, and pack the rest down and put web on it to strenghthen it. It may take a while before they are completely settled in; some burrowing species may remain visible for weeks.

As far as substrate goes for the vulpinus, you can use either peat moss or coconut bark substrate (eco-earth, or similar). Actually, I have never heard of a species that couldn't be housed on peat moss, as far as that goes.

I can't wait for pictures!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ErikH
    I think they do a little of both, they move some of the dirt out, and pack the rest down and put web on it to strenghthen it. It may take a while before they are completely settled in; some burrowing species may remain visible for weeks.

As far as substrate goes for the vulpinus, you can use either peat moss or coconut bark substrate (eco-earth, or similar). Actually, I have never heard of a species that couldn't be housed on peat moss, as far as that goes.

I can't wait for pictures!
    I asked about the substrate for the Vulpinus becausd right now its on a potting soil mix and the potting soil mix is brown with the white perlite and this stuff is light brown and my vulpinus is light brown so its like I have to look REALLY close when I do maintence in the future because its camaflouge lol this is bad because its camaflouge and quick on its feet lol

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Here go two pictures from different angles of my brazilian giant blonde. enjoy leave

Thanks

Very nice! As it gets bigger, you will see more pinkish highlights in the coloring.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I had a cricket in there with him from last night up into a few minutes ago he didnt touch it so i took it out..how many days should I wait before I put another one in there?

Also are these burrowing? aboreal? i couldnt find much info on these guys.
    Last edited by Ballpython2; 02-28-2007 at 05:27 PM. Reason: typo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast