Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,321

1 members and 3,320 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Is there something wrong with my gecko (s)?

I have three leopard geckos thought two be two females and a male, but not im sure i have three females. in the last two weeks ive noticed the consistency of their waste has changed to almost look like diarhea. Is this something to worry about , what are your guys thoughts. Its a 20 gallon high, 75 watt heat bulb, and a heat mat. has a humid along with driftwood. I have them on vita sand now but they were just placed on it this week so thats not the issue. the three geckos are about 6"-7" total length and weigh in about 35-40 grams each.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,326 Times in 1,368 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Is there something wrong with my gecko (s)?

change the substrate to paper towels for now, until their feces returns to normal. this will be much easier to keep clean and will help you to monitor things.

what are the temps in the cage?

make an appointment for them to see a vet and take fecal samples. diarrhea in leos can be a sign of internal parasites or other more serious health issues. this needs to be diagnosed and treated with veterinary help.

for help sexing your leos, see the sticky at the top of this forum: http://www.ball-pythons.net/forums/s...ad.php?t=42968
    - Emily

Thanks

daytime temp is about 80-83 i felt this may be alittle low, what wattage bulb do you guys use on a 20h for leopards. nighttime temp varies from 70-73.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,326 Times in 1,368 Posts
    Blog Entries

i use flexwatt heat tape connected to a thermostat to heat my leo cages. i don't like using lights for heat because they dry out the air so much.

you want to create a temperature gradient in the enclosure. the cool side should be 78-80 degrees and the warm side should be 88-90 degrees. no night drop is necessary.

a 20 tall tank is also a little small for a trio of adults as they don't need the vertical space but rather ground space--something like a 20 gallon long would be better and also easier to heat via a light bulb.
    - Emily

Thanks

i plan on moving them into my 33 long when my ball python gets a little bigger and move her into a 40 breeder.