Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,364

1 members and 3,363 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Learning about Tank

Actually Tank's nature does bring up one question though. I've never had a Pit or Pit-cross and as some of you may remember I'm actually quite afraid of Pitbulls since moving to Toledo. Tank is changing that though. He is obviously some sort of Pit cross. I do want to do right by his temperment and am wondering about something.

Is it natural for Pits to be so protective even as a big pup? We think Tank is about 6 to 8 months tops.

When we are out walking on lead and he automatically protects me, I don't want to tell him no as in my neighbourhood in this city that's not a bad thing at all. I do want to let him know when it's appropriate and when it's not. So far I've been just reaching down to pat him and tell him "it's okay Tank" in a gentle, calm voice. He does calm down pretty quickly, though often will still call a warning bark out to the stranger a few more times till they move out of range. He doesn't try to break away from me or act horribly aggressive (though I don't doubt he might bite if someone actually went after me on the street). It's actually rather odd that as soon as they move a certain distance, he basically ignores them - like he has some pre-determined space they must keep back from when he's out with "Mom" (or "Dad" for that matter). Though the guy on the street last night seemed to worry him and he was flat out determined to take me home immeidately LOL.

Anyway, is this the appropriate way to handle a Pitbull cross when he's doing his "job" or should I be doing anything different? I want Tank to mature into a well behaved dog that is safe but I don't want to mismanage his temperment or frustrate his seemingly natural protective instinct. I know a lot of you own this breed so I'm thinking you have a lot of wisdom to share.

Gunnar is part Boxer and also a more protective breed than I'm used to, having owned Labradors for years (they would help a burglar steal your tv if the thief would just hand them a cookie please LOL). She's also naturally alert to strangers on the street and so I must say I feel very secure lately.
    ~~Joanna~~

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Learning about Tank

If it gets to be a problem you could just call the dog whisperer but I think that as long as hes not actually full out attacking them you should be ok
    -Matt-
    When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace

Thanks

We used to have two pit puppies and yes they do get very protective of their famlies. I think as long as you reasure him when he startes getting on edge he should be fine. Just make sure if he does start to try to lunge at a person or animal, you let him know (very firmly) that you don't like that and that he shouldn't do it. You aren't going to make him stop being protective by training him, but you do have to let him konw what is acceptable and what isn't. Pits will do anything to please you, and they are wonderful dogs (I would get another on in a heartbeat if I could). They do ok with strangers if you are there and let them know it's ok. But like I said, you want him to know that he can't just chase stranges down the street, so if he ever does start lunging, or getting more aggressive than you like, make sure he knows it. He's not going to stop protecting you, but they can protect you and behave well at the same time

He sounds like a sweetheart, and I think Tank is the most perfect name ever! ^_^ But just to let you know, since he is still pretty young...ours loved to chew on everything, so just make sure he has chewy stuff he can shred. hehe
    ~ Shannon

1.2 normal bp ~ Lilly (06) ~ Delilah (09) ~ Joey (06)
    1.0 cinnamon bp ~ Doughnut (08)
    1.0 mojave bp ~ Jay (08)
    0.1 pastel bp ~ Patsy (09)
    2.0 cats ~ Lil Bit (08) ~ Toby (08)

Thanks

Oh no nothing like that (response to Phreak's comment re "attack")! How to describe it (you Pit owners probably know what I mean) but with my Labs if I was walking and someone came down the other side of the street, well they'd either not even notice or wag and wonder if that person perhaps had a cookie they could beg for? Tank (and Gunnar to a less extent) go into a sort of alert squared up body posture, stop and stare at the person across the street and give big loud WOOFS that sound like "hey you! what are you doing! go away from us!" That sort of thing - just an automatic response. Does that make sense? No attempt to bite or chase...just this automatic alert thing. Both dogs also bark to alert me if they hear noises near the house or when the downstairs neighbours come home (we live in a upstairs big duplex).
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Thanks Shannon, great info there! I like to understand and work with a dog's natural temperment as I think forcing them to act otherwise can frustrate them and you end up with a nervous biter or that sort of mess. Gunnar's been a challenge to Mike and I and actually having Tank around to help her expend her massive amounts of energy has been a god send. She is definitely a dog that needed another dog in the house LOL.

Tank is a MAJOR chewer. I'm going through chewies like crazy but did run out and get some better toys (Kongs). He ripped up all of Gunnars squeeky balls the first day here (boy was she ticked off!). And of course I know own ONE pink slipper LOL

We use a Gentle Leader head halter on Gunnar and will be getting one for Tank shortly. I swear by those. He's pretty good on a standard leash and collar but the Gentle Leader will likely give us even more control while on walks. He's wonderfully well tempered with the family and good with our 5 year old (though both pups and the youngest child are always supervised anyways so neither bugs the other). Seems like a very smart dog and has learned "sit" and "no" already in only a few days.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Yeah pits and boxers are both fairly 'high maintance' dogs. They have alot of energy, and they will do something with it But as long as you walk them, and give them enough exercise they should do great. I think the only thing my pits like better than going out was sleeping in my lap.

And we found out hte hard way too that those cute soft little chew toys are like air to a pit ^_^ Those Kongs are great (we had a few) but I do suggest keeping your laundry someplace safe. haha We would find lots of socks and underware all over the back year if they could get to our laundry baskets! haha

I've never used a Gentle Leader, we just had regular harnesses, but your probably right to get something more than a regular coller, b/c you do occasonally need the extra control. And they do learn so fast!! ^_^ IMO the "sit" is almost as important as "drop it!" haha (I resued alot of socks that way...) Just one more tip, b/c they are so smart, they will most likely try to figure out how to get out. They are pretty good at it, so you may want to watch for an excape artist!
    ~ Shannon

1.2 normal bp ~ Lilly (06) ~ Delilah (09) ~ Joey (06)
    1.0 cinnamon bp ~ Doughnut (08)
    1.0 mojave bp ~ Jay (08)
    0.1 pastel bp ~ Patsy (09)
    2.0 cats ~ Lil Bit (08) ~ Toby (08)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by frankykeno
    Tank (and Gunnar to a less extent) go into a sort of alert squared up body posture, stop and stare at the person across the street and give big loud WOOFS that sound like "hey you! what are you doing! go away from us!" That sort of thing - just an automatic response. Does that make sense? No attempt to bite or chase...just this automatic alert thing. Both dogs also bark to alert me if they hear noises near the house or when the downstairs neighbours come home (we live in a upstairs big duplex).
    My pitties are the same way. I really don't walk them as much as I should, but I used to. I would actually bring along some soft chewy treats and when we would approach someone walking another dog I would tell them to sit. Then give the treat. (This however doesn't work with "loose" dogs, which I increasingly began to encounter...and is also the reason why we don't go for walks as much as we should )

They would also act the same as Tank when approaching other people. I would calmly tell them, "it's ok" or "be nice" before they actually went into alert mode. That actually seemed to work.

Hope this helps!

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Growing up we mainly had pure breed dogs (Sheppard’s), most bonded more with the my mum and I rather then my dad, and were more protective of us.

My parents now have a Pit Bull/ Boxer mix (rescue) and he is a big sweetheart would not hurt a fly, you can do anything with him, however when outside he is very protective of my mum, and show is presence.

I adopted my girls almost 3 years ago she is a Rhodesian Ridgeback / Pit Bull Mix and she is also very sweet but until she feels that other people are ok she is cautious, and I would dare anyone to touch me, she is very protective and loyal to me, more then she is with my hubby.

I don’t believe it is the breed I believe that every dog is different and some bond with their owner stronger then others, especially with women, maybe they sense that we might be “weaker” and need protection, who knows.

I also know that rescues seems to be more grateful and showing it by over protecting the one that rescue them.

Now being protective is a good thing but any dog must understand that not everyone is a threat and need to socialize, that is why I love to take my dog to the park and let people pet her so she does not see a threat in people, because there is nothing worse than a dog that fears everything or everyone, because often their fear transform into aggression.

If she has her reserve when it come to someone, but without having an aggressive attitude, I start talking to the person and she seems to understand that the person is ok and she is then very sweet.

She has shown an aggressive behavior outside only with one person, she would not stop barking and I could tell she did not like that person at all, even though I talked to the person and say it was ok, she did not care, it was my former neighbor, she just never liked him, yet she has no problem with any other people. I think dog have a good sense that I trust.

You have to keep in mind that Tank just arrived and if he is a puppy and he needs training, has to get used to people.

Right now you might be the only one that has been good to him who knows what he went through and are much interaction with human he had, he just need to learn and trust, get him to socialize with people.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Oh good idea to give the command to relax before they actually alert...I'll be trying that...thanks! Sometimes Tank and Gunnar sense a person before I even know they are nearby (I have to take them out at night sometimes alone when Mike is working) but I will definitely try to interrupt the response and redirect them if I'd rather they didn't bark at that particular person.

We actually had a problem with loose dogs on our walk earlier. Our neighbours have (how to say this nicely) two of the littlest, ugliest, yappiest dogs on god's green earth. Some sort of crossbred little things that are sadly not terribly well cared for and have no clue about listening to their owners. Mike and I had Gunnar and Tank out on a walk on leads and of course the yappers come across the road (one almost got hit by a car), yapping and dashing at our much bigger dogs. Both our dogs were okay as we grabbed them by their collars, told them to settle down and no they couldn't eat the irritating things. I think Tank was a bit confused about whether they were actually dogs or some sort of mutant rats (he found out quick he can't eat rats in our house LOL). Gunnar knows these two dogs and hates them on principle. They are always loose and try to start fights with bigger dogs walking on leashes.

Not to say I don't like tiny breeds folks but I swear these two dogs are, well there's no kind way to say it...butt ugly and have personalities to match.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

I just thought of one more thing! This is just based on my personal opinion and experiences, but my male pit seems to be more protective over me, where my female seems to be more protective over my household.

Not really sure if that makes sense!

But by my household I mean she is the first to bark at any noise, and the first (and sometimes only )to go investigate.... etc

Just thought I'd share that...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast