Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,861

0 members and 2,861 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Eye caps question

I was wondering if anyone could tell me the best way to remove retained eye caps. thanks

matt

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Eye caps question

Quote Originally Posted by mrubeck
    I was wondering if anyone could tell me the best way to remove retained eye caps. thanks

matt
    If they are just retained from the most recent shed....the BEST thing to do is nothing. You run a high risk of permanent injury by trying to remove them yourself, when the actual eyecaps themselves are virtually no risk to the snake as they are. Just leave them alone and they will likely get rubbed off by the snake in time anyhow. Or come off with the next shed.

If you're talking about multiple retained eyecaps on a severely neglected snake...those should be attended to by a vet qualified and experienced treating snakes.
    -- Judy

Thanks

I have a question about eye caps that have lasted more than one shed.

My BP is a rescue and I dont know what conditions she was kept in prior (as i said in my intro post). She went a long time (3 months) without shedding and I thought that was because she might be near full grown. So she shed and retained her eye caps (a really broken shed) and I did not worry. Now about 1 month later, she shed again and the most partial shed I have ever seen and hardly anything off her head. So we fast foward to this past weekend and I went to feed her and I thought snakes did not hunt visually, but she could not catch that rat. I have never pre-killed or pre stunned because she has always eatten without problem (until now).

so my question is this,
    Can a snake be blinded by double retained eye caps?
    also,
    Can a BP become acustomed to low humidity?

When I first got her she came from a house where she had no humidity( hardly ever had water even) and I keep her tank 55 - 60% most always.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JESSiKA
    so my question is this,
    Can a snake be blinded by double retained eye caps?
    Not 2 caps, but I definitely would manually remove them if there are, in fact, 2 retained eye caps. If you haven't done this yourself, you may want to take it to an experienced vet to do the procedure.

also,
    Can a BP become acustomed to low humidity?
    No. All ball pythons need moderate humidity in their enclosure to stay healthy. Not only does humidity help them shed, but also has an affect on their respitory system.

When I first got her she came from a house where she had no humidity( hardly ever had water even) and I keep her tank 55 - 60% most always.
    Good job, keep it up!
    -Brad