Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 949

4 members and 945 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

she finally ate!

ok so my baby blood finally ate a fuzzy yesterday.but im still not comfortable because i had to "force feed her".she flicked at the mouse and looked interested,but she didnt take it.since she hasnt eaten for me, i opened her mouth with a Q-tip and put the fuzzy at the beginning of her throat,then i removed the Q-tip and left my baby blood with the fuzzy in her mouth.it took her a few minutes to swallow it down.idk if she actually was hungry, or swallowed it by instinct since i've read that snakes will swallow food once it's in their mouth.so my question is...did i do the right thing by doing this or was it something reckless? i guess she accepted it since i checked this morning and she didnt regurgitate it or anything.
    FB: https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile....00001688532105
    Upcoming concerts:
    October 10: KoRn
    October 11 - Bon Jovi
    October 19: Death Angel
    October 26 - Avenged Sevenfold, Deftones, Ghost
    October 28: Slayer
    November 8 - Nine Inch Nails
    November 15 - Kreator, Overkill, Warbringer
    November 27: In This Moment
    -Misael

Thanks

Re: she finally ate!

You got her back in Oct right? She hasn't eaten for you since then? Bloods are known to be good eaters. So that is off. Also I remember you saying she had a RI. Are you sure that s cleared on up?

What are her temps and humidity level?
    What kind of enclosure is she in?
    She is WC, CH, CB???

I'll jump out and say that yeah I'm not going to flip out and tell you, you did a wrong thing because well I don't think you did in this case. She probably was hungry and just needed a little enforcement. Some babies and other snakes who have had a ruff starting need a bit of help along the way. Also she probably could take on a med sized mouse or a large rat fuzzie/small rat pup. Offer her another food item in 5 - 7 days and see if she takes it on her own. If not, wait a week and try again. I'd check and then do a double check on your temps, humidity, maybe get a smaller enclosure, make sure her RI is 100% cleared up.
    ---=ALLISON=---
    "Not everyone is going to agree or listen to what you say but I have learned to do my best to educate and hope they listen in the long run. Just keep trying to educate. There will be people out there that actually do listen and learn. -Me"

Thanks

im not 100% sure if her RI is cleared up but she looks fine now,she's not showing anymore symptoms.temp is at 84,humidity is at 60%.i used to have her in a glass tank but i moved her into a 32 qt. rubbermaid storage container.i got her from LLLReptile so im pretty sure she was CB.i told myself that i'll try feeding her next week and she if she takes it on her without having me feed her again like that.

P.S. i dont have internet access at my house right now so i'll check back on replies on monday.
    Upcoming concerts:
    October 11 - Bon Jovi
    -Misael

Thanks

glad you got your baby blood to eat which is a good thing , however I think force feeding should be a last resort and am not a fan of it for the most part, especially in babies that have not not had sufficient settling in time etc although yours had it seems 5 months without eating.
    Force feeding can sometimes do more harm and stress the snake out to an extent it goes off feeding rather than getting it started, in your case it was worked out so I am pleased for you and hope it is not something you feel you need you attempt again.

I dont know the history of your snake to make any comment on whether you were reckless so I will dutifully bite my tongue there as there can be health issues that take time to get over.

I do know that on occasion people will rush or panic when attempting to get their new snake to do everything it should, as in eating or shedding and defecating etc

I am not saying you acted in a negative way as above btw just talking outloud in relation to your problem.

The fact that your on this site means you have access to alot of knowledge and help should you need it which in turn shows a responsible keeper.

Can you post a pic of your set up ? How many hides do you have in there if any ? Sometimes , especially for babies and more so in bloods in some cases they need to feel very secure and safe, what is the location of your snakes home ? Is it near a noisy busy area for example ?

Do you use lighting in addition to heat mats etc ? If so what cycle do you have it on ? Bloods dont really need supplimental lighting although some use it but it should be 12 on 12 0ff cycle if they do.

And also as has been said has the RI definately cleared up ? If it is still suffering in any way "force feeding" wont do it alot of good. Snakes in general will as a reflex action swallow food when it reaches the throat although some will regurgatate afterwards.

It is worth checking out all health concerns before attempting to assist feed ( I dont like the term force feed lol ) as there may be an underlying reason it is not eating well.

Generally a captive bred Blood in correct conditions will usually be an avid feeder, and more times than not if they are not IMO it is either a health issue or its environment is not right , which could be anything from no hides to too big a space , temps not right, humidity wrong ( too high or too low )

By process of elimination I would ensure all the criteria is met 1st, 2nd get a health check done by a reptile vet where possible by sample etc.

3rdly ...........I have just realised I have went on and on here ... oops ..... my apologies if you have answered anything elswhere in another thread and I went over old ground.

I really am stopping now...

There is a moose loose aboot this hoose !

Thanks

well she has newspaper for substrate,she has a log for a hiding spot and i have about 5 balled up pieces of newspaper on the other side of her tub so she can use that for hiding(which she does).i used to use a heat lamp, but i removed it and went only with the heat mat.she's in my room,away from my family since my mom doesnt like being around them.only im in my room and the most noise i do is the TV and music.and after i fed her,she didnt regurgitate it so again idk if it was a good thing or bad. i'll try to get a pic of her setup but i think my sis is hogging the cam(like always) so if i cant use the digital cam,i'll get a pic with my webam.
    Upcoming concerts:
    October 11 - Bon Jovi
    -Misael

BPnet Veteran MATT FISHER REPTILES's Avatar
    Thanks

sometimes after you force feed them it jump starts the system again. (so i have read) keep us posted.
    MATT FISHER REPTILES

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/74
    i keep about 105 balls. and a few boas. creasted and lepord geckos.

Thanks

Just a shot in the dark here, but perhaps she would appreciate having some substrate that she can cover herself in.

Quote Originally Posted by Snakeman
    well she has newspaper for substrate,she has a log for a hiding spot and i have about 5 balled up pieces of newspaper on the other side of her tub so she can use that for hiding(which she does).i used to use a heat lamp, but i removed it and went only with the heat mat.she's in my room,away from my family since my mom doesnt like being around them.only im in my room and the most noise i do is the TV and music.and after i fed her,she didnt regurgitate it so again idk if it was a good thing or bad. i'll try to get a pic of her setup but i think my sis is hogging the cam(like always) so if i cant use the digital cam,i'll get a pic with my webam.
    -Diana

Support Captive Breeders
    http://www.lunarboids.com

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rapture
    Just a shot in the dark here, but perhaps she would appreciate having some substrate that she can cover herself in.

actually for nearly 2 days now she's been under the newspaper(her actual "substrate",not the balled up newspaper) near the heat mat.
    Upcoming concerts:
    October 11 - Bon Jovi
    -Misael

Thanks

Personally I would get rid of the log and give it a snug fitting hide at each end of its enclosure so it does not have to choose between feeling safe and thermoregulating.

Just my opinion mind.
    There is a moose loose aboot this hoose !

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Snakeman
    actually for nearly 2 days now she's been under the newspaper(her actual "substrate",not the balled up newspaper) near the heat mat.
    I was thinking more along the lines of a loose substrate that would be a little more form fitting and offer a feeling of security.
    -Diana

Support Captive Breeders
    http://www.lunarboids.com