Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,361

3 members and 3,358 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42

Thread: Recomended Boas

Thanks

Recomended Boas

I am looking for a a type of tree boa that a 12 year old can handle. She has alot of experience with snakes and isn't your average 12 year old girl. Can anyone out their recomend a beautiful tree boa theat doesn't get over 8ft long has a docile temperment?
    Thanks!
    We have:
    two 4 ft BP's, Freddy and Kurt,
    one 2ft BP, Ringo
    one 2ft (almost 3ft) red tailed boa.
    Mariah

Thanks

Re: Recomended Boas

Are you mom or are you the daughter? I'm sorry that emeralds don't fit your desire , but you will find that most true arboreals won't tolerate handling on a daily basis. Maybe a semi-arboreal, like a carpet python would be better suited.

True arboreals have specific environmental requirements, which must be met during handling. Otherwise you risk undue stress that can lead to complications that can effect their health. I wish I had an answer for you.

Craig
    Emeralds are real Gems!

Thanks

Tree boas aren’t very keen on handling usually....
    Although, I have a 10 year old son who loves our Rosy boas... And my 5 year old Daughter can also handle them... They aren’t arboreal but they don't mind being handled at all.... Maybe a Rosy boa would be a better choice for her????

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CraigC
    Are you mom or are you the daughter? I'm sorry that emeralds don't fit your desire , but you will find that most true arboreals won't tolerate handling on a daily basis. Maybe a semi-arboreal, like a carpet python would be better suited.

True arboreals have specific environmental requirements, which must be met during handling. Otherwise you risk undue stress that can lead to complications that can effect their health. I wish I had an answer for you.

Craig
    I am the daughter. Can emeralds be tamed? Plus, I am looking for a boa. We have not had the greatest luck with pythons. They are such finicky eaters!
    We have:
    one 2ft BP, Ringo
    Mariah

Thanks

i really dont reccomend any tree boas. go with a rosy or dummerils.

Thanks

What pythons are you having problems with? Just because it is a python does not mean it should not have regular feeding habits. Also, aboreal snakes are more like display only type snakes IMO.
    -Diana

Support Captive Breeders
    http://www.lunarboids.com

Thanks

It isn't a question of "taming" as emeralds given the proper environment and in good health are pretty laid back, in my experience. It is the fact that you can not handle them on a daily basis and must learn proper handling practices as they are not like other boids. You can't sit watching tv and hold an emerald for hours on end as some do with BCI or BCC. Basically, they don't like to be handled. As I explained in your dad's thread, they can be handled on a limited basis and on their own terms.

Craig
    Emeralds are real Gems!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rapture
    What pythons are you having problems with? Just because it is a python does not mean it should not have regular feeding habits. Also, aboreal snakes are more like display only type snakes IMO.
    We have 3 BP and they are all not eating. They haven't eaten 2 months each! We were told to try feeding once a week. Our boa is eating once a week on a perfect schedule. Plus, my dad said no more pythons.
    We have:
    one 2ft BP, Ringo
    Mariah

Thanks

Have you seen inside an emeralds mouth? You may change your mind if you did... Ya don't want to be tagged by that!!! ~OUCH~

Quote Originally Posted by luvmypython
    I am the daughter. Can emeralds be tamed? Plus, I am looking for a boa. We have not had the greatest luck with pythons. They are such finicky eaters!

Thanks

Well I wanted to share a pic I saw here a few weeks back, go to the 6th post down in this thread, http://www.ball-pythons.net/forums/s...ad.php?t=33719 and you can see some pretty mean teeth. Killer Mike is awsome!

If I may ask, why are your bp's not eating? ussually you can track the problem down to something, tho i realise they may just decide to stop eating sometimes.

Really, Boa Vs. Python should not be an issue when considering feeding habits. You really need to look at the care requirements of each species and select one you can provide a good environment for.

I really want a GTP but I dont have the expieriance or space to have one yet, so i have my ball, and he is a happy snake.

Please don't take my post as a negative towards your ability to keep a specific animal. I simply wanted to point out that you cant really take a certain type of snake and "Bend it to your will" so to speak. They are what they are. Alot of it has to do with instinct.