Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,865

3 members and 2,862 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

African Soft Fur Rat Questions

Ok...I just saw how great Ed's babies looked and after showing my wife (who raises rats as pets..colors, dumbos, etc.) we are hooked but I have some questions.

From a feeder perspective do those of you that feed them see a stronger feeding response? Or is there a reason you feed ASF over normal rats?

They appear smaller (when full grown - seeing Ed's pictures) is this true?

Anyone know where I could get a starter colony in the Indianapolis area?

Finally are they a lot more expensive to get started with them normal rats?

Thanks so much.

Thanks

Re: African Soft Fur Rat Questions

Quote Originally Posted by lord jackel
    Ok...I just saw how great Ed's babies looked and after showing my wife (who raises rats as pets..colors, dumbos, etc.) we are hooked but I have some questions.

From a feeder perspective do those of you that feed them see a stronger feeding response? Or is there a reason you feed ASF over normal rats?
    I have seen my BP's strike at them much quicker than rats or mice.

They appear smaller (when full grown - seeing Ed's pictures) is this true?
    I would say they are a little larger than a preggo mouse.

Anyone know where I could get a starter colony in the Indianapolis area?
    Check out: http://www.asfrats.info/index.php

Finally are they a lot more expensive to get started with them normal rats?

Thanks so much.
    I got my first trios for about $10 a trio. I got mine in mid Dec. and all 4 of my females have had 2 large litters so far. I think 2 of them are pretty preggo again. I let them have a beather after the second round.

As you may have read, they tend to be a little more nippy than a mouse or rat. They are not much as far as a pet goes.

Just my
    Keeper of many different types of animals and plants.

http://www.jbffarms.com

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jbkd
    Thanks Great Info and Great Site. I found a dealer in upper Indiana so I sent him and email...hopefully will hear back soon.

Thanks

Thanks

You couldn't pay me to switch my snakes from regular old rats to this ridiculous fad of ASFR. I wouldn't feel right trying to sell someone a snake that might be imprinted on them. They are not readily available at pet stores and most likely will never be.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jglass38
    You couldn't pay me to switch my snakes from regular old rats to this ridiculous fad of ASFR. I wouldn't feel right trying to sell someone a snake that might be imprinted on them. They are not readily available at pet stores and most likely will never be.
    They ARE becoming more widely available than you think friend! I'm not picking on you but don't knock what you haven't tried...and if you have tried it and it wasn't successful for you please share your experience. I am very happy with the change. I wouldn't sell any reptiles feeding on asf rats without the buyer knowing the facts but then again any of my bp's on asf rats are not for sale anyway. It hits a sore spot with me when folks try and make something "new" sound like a bad thing.

The ONLY thing I have seen nay sayers rely on to make asf rats look like poor choice is availability. This very weak assumption is further from the truth every day. Obviously there is size difference also but with my adults I have had zero issues with steady growth when feeding on asf rats.

People interested in asf rats should not be turned away until they have consumed as much info as they can so they can make their OWN decision.

*Not trying to be a jerk just passionate about the animals I work with
    www.ASFRats.info African soft-furred rats information and exchange.

www.WarrenReptiles.com
    Website Hosting available see site for details

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TekWarren
    They ARE becoming more widely available than you think friend! I'm not picking on you but don't knock what you haven't tried...and if you have tried it and it wasn't successful for you please share your experience. I am very happy with the change. I wouldn't sell any reptiles feeding on asf rats without the buyer knowing the facts but then again any of my bp's on asf rats are not for sale anyway. It hits a sore spot with me when folks try and make something "new" sound like a bad thing.

The ONLY thing I have seen nay sayers rely on to make asf rats look like poor choice is availability. This very weak assumption is further from the truth every day. Obviously there is size difference also but with my adults I have had zero issues with steady growth when feeding on asf rats.

People interested in asf rats should not be turned away until they have consumed as much info as they can so they can make their OWN decision.

*Not trying to be a jerk just passionate about the animals I work with
    I have no need to try. All my snakes feed perfectly fine on regular rats. What is the purpose of breeding these animals? Its only going to cause problems for the people that buy them (snakes imprinted on them). Try getting a snake imprinted on <insert your non rat/mouse rodent here> to switch. You have every right to defend what you have chosen to work with. I just don't get the point. Most breeders don't either.

Thanks

You might want a different acronym for them to. From Urban Dictionary:

ASFR

Adult Sexuality Fetish Robots

To be sexually attracted to robots. To fantasize about men or women being turned into robots. The term also includes the transformation of ones partner (or fantasy) into any solid surface material, I.E., Stone, marble, mannequins, plastic, metal, statues, artwork.

A form of roleplay.

Thanks

I have no need to try. All my snakes feed perfectly fine on regular rats. What is the purpose of breeding these animals? Its only going to cause problems for the people that buy them (snakes imprinted on them). Try getting a snake imprinted on <insert your non rat/mouse rodent here> to switch. You have every right to defend what you have chosen to work with. I just don't get the point. Most breeders don't either.
    Dude, what's up? Thats like a mouse guy asking you why you imprinted your snakes on rats. There are plenty of breeders that feed a wide variety of rodents to animals to that do better on them. Hell, even Adam has a few snakes on mice. The ASF rats are becoming more and more available on a regular basis. As long as he is upfront when he sells them why does it matter? I will feed my breeders whatever it takes to get the best feeding response. Right now it is mostly rats and mice, but I do have a couple females (possible LTC) that might try ASF rats this summer. IF they feed on them, they will get them. I have no plans to sell those females, but if I do they will be sold as "ASF Rat Eaters".

I love ya man, but come on.
    "Wild" Bill Hicok

Wild Bill's Ball Pythons

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Bill
    Dude, what's up? Thats like a mouse guy asking you why you imprinted your snakes on rats. There are plenty of breeders that feed a wide variety of rodents to animals to that do better on them. Hell, even Adam has a few snakes on mice. The ASF rats are becoming more and more available on a regular basis. As long as he is upfront when he sells them why does it matter? I will feed my breeders whatever it takes to get the best feeding response. Right now it is mostly rats and mice, but I do have a couple females (possible LTC) that might try ASF rats this summer. IF they feed on them, they will get them. I have no plans to sell those females, but if I do they will be sold as "ASF Rat Eaters".

I love ya man, but come on.
    I think there is a difference between mice/rats and these ASF rats. Maybe I am wrong. Seems to me they are more like a Gerbil than a rat and could cause the same imprint problems that Gerbils can. I have switched many snakes from mice to rats and some that eat whichever is offered. I'm just stating my opinions on the whole thing. Whatever people choose to do is up to them...

Thanks

Seems to me they are more like a Gerbil than a rat and could cause the same imprint problems that Gerbils can.
    Well, that is yet to be seen. I have talked to a couple people that haven't had a problem with them imprinting on them. They seem more like a cross between a rat and a mouse than a gerbil. The biggest plus for me to even try to experiment with these is the fact that they they don't outgrow the feeding size I prefer as quickly as rats do. Am I switching all my snakes over to these, no. They're just another tool in the shed.
    "Wild" Bill Hicok

Wild Bill's Ball Pythons

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast