Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,933

1 members and 2,932 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Great news

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Arrow Great news

My friend wanted my corn snakes so I gave those to her. now I have an empty 55 gallon tank I'm going to use for when I purchase my 3" Cameroon Red Baboon (Hysterocrates gigas). So this should fun to set up. If anyone has any ideas on how I should set this up to make it look really nice let me know.

and since I know tanks don't hold humidity well I brought a humidifer that should work great to help that.

also if anyone has any properly set up tarantula tanks that are really decorated I'd love to see pictures of those.

Thanks

Thanks

Re: Great news

A 55 gallon tank is awfully large for any tarantula, even an adult t. blondi.

You might consider dividing the tank. At that size, having substrate 7 or 8 inches deep won't be a problem, as your t. is a very deep burrower. I really don't think you will need the humidifier if you keep the substrate damp, as that will keep the humidity in the burrow at 80% or more, and that is where the tarantula will spend most of his time.
    Rats in the hold. Crew is dead, I fear the plague.....

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

(got this news recently)

I talk to botar and told him I was going to use a 55 gallon tank for my new H gigas. that I値l be getting. and he told me it was a little to big for one.

So what did he tell me I should do? He said I should house two in there by starting burrows on each side of the tank. and he said he has read reports of these guys diving into their water bowls after feeder fish.

So What he said he値l do for me is I値l pay for one and I値l get one for free and house them together and see how this goes.

And I have a water dish big enough for the feeder fish to go in so this should be fun.

Also, I知 buying a Brazilian Giant Blonde (Nhandu vulpinus).

Thanks

By all accounts, Botar is a great guy to deal with. I have never heard of housing two without a divider, but I'll defer to his expertise on that one. I have heard of them going after fish too, but it sounds like an awful mess to clean up to me.

Nhandu Vulpinus is a nice looking species, too.

Thanks

*scratching head in confusion*
    I've known Charles a long time and him saying something like that seems way out of character of him, especially knowing the species temperment and aggression level. I'm going to give him a call and ask him what's up with that advice....that's not right.

If you want to put 2 in one tank, that's your choice, just don't be too upset when you wake up one morning with only one....it will happen eventually.

~Denise~
    My pet and critter list......in short form:
    38 different tarantula species
    8 different scorpion species
    0.1.0 MBK
    1.0.0 Bull snake
    1.0.0 Blue point Siamese
    1.0.0 Black/gray tabby
    1.0.0 husband
    1.4.0 Children

Lunacy General, Not Crazy, Just Different

Thanks

I know people have success with communal housing of pokies, and also avics, but in those cases, they came from the same egg sac too. I have never heard of communally housing any African species.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

ok I just did step two, I brought like 5 bags of sphagnum peat moss and got the tank set up.

I used two tops from the repti - shelter caves made for snakes to make pre -made burrows and I have a big water bin in the middle for where the water goes.

Now all I gotta do is place my order tomorrow and get my items friday morning and I dont have to work.

woo hoooooo

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowspider
    *scratching head in confusion*
    I've known Charles a long time and him saying something like that seems way out of character of him, especially knowing the species temperment and aggression level. I'm going to give him a call and ask him what's up with that advice....that's not right.

If you want to put 2 in one tank, that's your choice, just don't be too upset when you wake up one morning with only one....it will happen eventually.
    yeah i agree.i wouldnt house any 2 tarantulas together unless i was breeding them.even if they had their own burrows.
    FB: https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile....00001688532105
    Upcoming concerts:
    October 10: KoRn
    October 11 - Bon Jovi
    October 19: Death Angel
    October 26 - Avenged Sevenfold, Deftones, Ghost
    October 28: Slayer
    November 8 - Nine Inch Nails
    November 15 - Kreator, Overkill, Warbringer
    November 27: In This Moment
    -Misael

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Ok so I went to petco and got a divider for my H. gigas tank and I brought some driftwood also and I知 going to put some terriaum moss within the dens so this should also help make it look realistic. hopefully they wont be able to knock down the divider. This a precautious measure because i do wanna have both spiders as long as possible.

Thanks

A divider is your best bet. You can secure it with aquarium calk if there is no way to secure it from the top. With the depth of substrate you will need for that species, I don't think they will be able to move the divider, just make sure they don't have room to squeeze between it and the tank, or between the divider and the lid.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast