Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,048

0 members and 3,048 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero

Thread: Tokays Mean?

Thanks

Tokays Mean?

Hi i went to my pet store and i was going to pick up some viper geckos but then i saw this cool little guy sticking to the side of a cage and i asked the guy what this was and how are they as pets. well he told me that they are tokay geckos and then asked if i wanted something mean and of course i said no and left so i was wondering are they actually mean so you can't handle them and such? and then should i go back and buy 2 vipers or should i get a tokay?

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Tokays Mean?

They are the Godzilla of the gecko world..
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

Thanks

Hi there!

I did some research online.....here is what I found:

Tokay's personality: Really Agressive

They are known for their nasty temperament, biting the hand that feeds, cleans or otherwise comes into anything resembling close proximity to them, if their space is violated, a fight will definitely come about..

Their bites are powerful...one might say they are the pit bulls of the gecko world...they hang on and let go only when it suits them.

They can become tame, but they are usally very aggressive to other lizards and keeper. Don't buy this lizard thinking that you can tame it.

The majority of the tokays in pet stores are wild caught and, like all wild caught imported reptiles, heavily stressed, usually dehydrated, often emaciated, and always parasitized.

On a side note they are very awesome looking, I think as well. I saw one that I was interested in last weekend, did some research, and decided against buying one....

I'm going to purchase a bp instead.

Thanks

Wild caught tokays are known for being nasty, but captive bred ones can be very nice. I held one of NERDs tokays.. super docile!

April
    My art gallery (herp related) http://cerulean-serpent.deviantart.com/

Thanks

Tokays care is fairly simple but 98% are WC and have bad dispositions. I love them to death, they remain an all time favorite of mine, I had a pair for years and just recently got 2 more . If you want to get one to calm down, go with a CB baby, not that easy to find though. I know a couple breeders so if you want I can point you in the direction of a breeder.

Thanks

If you can find a CB baby, you have a really good chance of having a tame adult which is a very impressive animal.

The ones in petstores and online are mostly WC and will in all reality NEVER calm down.
    In the case of CB tokays, they are a LOT more than what a typical WC goes for but well worth it for the quality you will get IMO.
    CB is the only way to go if you are considering a tokay. Otherwise plan on buying lots of bandaids.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SPJ
    If you can find a CB baby, you have a really good chance of having a tame adult which is a very impressive animal.

The ones in petstores and online are mostly WC and will in all reality NEVER calm down.
    In the case of CB tokays, they are a LOT more than what a typical WC goes for but well worth it for the quality you will get IMO.
    CB is the only way to go if you are considering a tokay. Otherwise plan on buying lots of bandaids.
    Tokays are really more display geckos then anything. Handling them just causes stress and like you already said, lots of bandaids lol