Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,578

0 members and 1,578 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Arrow I made my choice

have decided (honestly this is it) to get a Cameroon Red Baboon (Hysterocrates gigas). I know this isn’t a beginner spider and I’m ready to try something aggressive that is a burrower so this is my choice. Anyone who has one please give me your opinion about it.

Here is some information I got when I did research on this species so if someone or a few of yall can read it and just tell me if its right or wrong and just add information so I know some more stuff about the species

"This is a large African burrower indigenous to the West African countries of Cameroon, Congo, Gabon, Equatorial Guinea, Guinea and Zaire. It was first described by Pocock in 1897. This tarantula is often commonly called the "tawny red" baboon. This Tarantula has varied colorations depending on it’s molting cycle. Just after a fresh molt, it is generally pretty much black looking, it will gradually turn a reddish brown color and even pick up some orange coloration prior to molt. This Tarantula is not "striking" in appearance, but very beautiful in it’s own way. It generally looks "tawny red" hence, the common name. They have thick rear legs which are believed to aid them in burrowing, though not as pronounced as the "King Baboon". As with all tarantulas, it is very important to research their natural habitat so that you can duplicate it as much as possible in captivity. This will keep your tarantula from being stressed and more happy, which in turn, will lead to a longer life. The Cameroon Red is a burrower in a tropical environment. It is very important to provide a suitable depth of substrate and humidity to properly care for this tarantula.

The Cameroon Red is a very reclusive tarantula. It will dig some pretty elaborate burrows and tunnels and remain there most of the time. This is not a great display tarantula. Cork bark is a shelter they will appreciate as well. Sometimes, they will just burrow down one of the corners of a tank, which makes them visible even while in seclusion. They will often venture out at night, and certainly at feeding time. Like most tarantulas, they do not like bright light. While normally shy, if provoked, this tarantula becomes a super aggressive beast! They will rear up and strike repeatedly, and hard, much like a cobra. I have even seen them flop over on their back and kick their legs much like a child throwing a temper tantrum! This is not a beginner’s species due to their aggressive nature. It is also worth noting, that these tarantulas can seem almost lethargic, but can move with alarming speed. Not much is known about the venom of this species. From my research, I would rank it’s potency as greater than your typical "New World" species, but less toxic than say, a poecilotheria. In any event, I would not want to take a bite from this species and always use care when working in its cage.

These tarantulas are fast growing and will attain a maximum leg span of 6 to 6.5 inches. They will attack and eat anything that moves.

Food: Crickets, cockroaches, superworms, pinkies, and small fuzzy mice.

· Note on roaches: avoid catching these on your own or any other food source outdoors, as they may be laden with pesticides that can harm or even kill your tarantula.

· Note on mice: If you feed your tarantula mice your probably not squeamish, so I advise knocking them unconscious, mice have teeth and will defend themselves which can injure your tarantula. Please note in some countries it is illegal to feed live mice to another creature. To avoid possible prosecution, please only feed pre-killed prey to your arachnids.

Housing Requirements: These tarantulas need to be able to burrow. I use a 10 gallon aquarium with 7" of peat moss/ potting soil mix. I have a live African Violet planted inside which makes the aquarium look nice. This tarantula will often hang out around this plant during pre-molt. A larger tank with even deeper substrate can be used, but I would not use less than a 10 gallon tank once the tarantula reaches sub adult size and up.

Temperature: 80-85 degrees is best.

Humidity: Keep humidity high, 80-90%. I use a Mayonnaise jar lid for a water dish, Always clean and full. I water the Violet every couple days and mist the substrate, not to the point where mold develops, but it is not dusty. I mist daily.

Growth: This is a fast growing species, they can molt 6-8 times in their first year easily if you feed them daily up to pre-molt. Males will mature in a year, 2 years tops. Females will mature in 2-4 years. Males will live 2-4 years, females have been known to live up to 16 years but 12 would be average. Expect this tarantula to molt once a year after the first year, females may molt twice a year until they reach maturity. Mine did.

Cleaning: It is very important to keep a clean tank. I try to keep prey from going into burrows. That is why I often feed this species pinkies. It is important to remove leftover food items as these can attract mites. Keep the water dish clean. I remove food leftovers with salad tongs. Crickets have a tendency to hop right to the tarantula in it’s burrow. You will have to dig around a little to remove unused food items. Use tongs of some type. Change substrate every 6 months to ensure a clean, healthy tank.

Handling: There is no need to handle a Cameroon Red. They are very defensive and can be downright hostile. They can and will inflict a painful bite. Enjoy these from a distance."

Thanks

Re: I made my choice

I think the info you have is pretty good. I am told to give them 7 or 8 inches of substrate to burrow in, and you probably won't see it much, once it settles in. Is it an adult, a juvenile or a sling? That will determine how large an enclosure you want to provide. I have heard of people having very good luck with keeping burrowers in the containers you can buy for cereal at The Container Store. Keeping the substrate moist should provide the humidity you will need; it will spend most of its time in the burrow, so that's where you want the high humidity

I personally don't have any keeping experience with old world species, but I do know people who keep them, and I will probably be adding some to my collection in the future.

Congrats, by the way.
    Rats in the hold. Crew is dead, I fear the plague.....

Thanks

Maybe I should have elaborated a little more about the humidity. Mist the substrate every other day, that should keep it moist enough. I have heard of some keepers misting daily in the spring/early summer months to simulate the rainy season in Cameroon. You may want to pre-start the burrow for it as well.
    Last edited by ErikH; 02-13-2007 at 06:10 PM.

Thanks

an H.gigas huh? good choice for an old world.they're inexpensive and they get H-U-G-E. burrowing is one factor,agressiveness is also another.but keep in mind that once they settle in and burrow, you wont see it for a LONG time.hopefully it'll make its burrow on the side so you'll be able to see from the side.luckily that happened with my H.lividum(Cobalt Blue).
    FB: https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile....00001688532105
    Upcoming concerts:
    October 10: KoRn
    October 11 - Bon Jovi
    October 19: Death Angel
    October 26 - Avenged Sevenfold, Deftones, Ghost
    October 28: Slayer
    November 8 - Nine Inch Nails
    November 15 - Kreator, Overkill, Warbringer
    November 27: In This Moment
    -Misael

Thanks

Some people have had luck viewing deep burrowers by starting the burrow up against the side of the enclosure and covering the outside along the hole with black construction paper or cardboard. You may then remove the paper in a darkened room to view the tarantula. Of course, some T's tend to line the burrow with alot of silk, so you still may not see it. By the way, I forgot to mention that this is a fast growing species, so if it isn't an adult already, you will be rehousing it when it outgrows its enclosure. Keep that in mind before you settle on an aggressive/defensive species.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

here are two pictures from different angles what I'm going to put my H gigas in and I'm going to put in more peat moss and mix in some vermaculite..should I mist it and make it moist the night before it gets here or do it after it has settled in?

http://www.ball-pythons.net/gallery/...ingHLiv003.jpg

http://www.ball-pythons.net/gallery/...ingHLiv002.jpg
    Last edited by JLC; 02-15-2007 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Pics too wide...please keep to a max of 800px wide...or use links for larger pics

Thanks

I can't tell how deep the substrate is. Is it at least 7" deep? Yes, I would moisten the substrate up before housing it. I don't think it will use that flowerpot hide, though. Pre start a burrow under the pot, or use a piece of cork bark or similar item. It will burrow pretty deep once it gets settled. How big is it? (The spider, I mean ) Oh, yeah, and tamp the substrate down some when you moisten it, so that it will hold together well for a burrow.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ErikH
    I can't tell how deep the substrate is. Is it at least 7" deep? Yes, I would moisten the substrate up before housing it. I don't think it will use that flowerpot hide, though. Pre start a burrow under the pot, or use a piece of cork bark or similar item. It will burrow pretty deep once it gets settled. How big is it? (The spider, I mean ) Oh, yeah, and tamp the substrate down some when you moisten it, so that it will hold together well for a burrow.
    The spider is going to be 3" inches and can you show me a picture of a "piece of cork bark" I can't recall how that looks and I want to make sure I have the right stuff...and what do you mean by "tamp the substrate down?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ballpython2
    and what do you mean by "tamp the substrate down?
    basically, using your hands, press down on the peat moss so that way when your H.gigas burrows, the peat moss will hold.
    FB: https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile....00001688532105
    Upcoming concerts:
    October 10: KoRn
    October 11 - Bon Jovi
    October 19: Death Angel
    October 26 - Avenged Sevenfold, Deftones, Ghost
    October 28: Slayer
    November 8 - Nine Inch Nails
    November 15 - Kreator, Overkill, Warbringer
    November 27: In This Moment
    -Misael

Thanks

http://http://www.invertsupplies.co.uk/product-16.html
    This will give you an idea of what it looks like. You can find it in pet supply stores. I suggested cork because it is mildew/mold resistant, and the humidity in your spider's enclosure is going to be high. Just get a piece that looks like half a tube, or even just a piece that sticks up enough to form a sort of cover over the burrow hole, but still leaves access to the hole. It looks like you have everything else well in hand; just place a water dish a short distance from the burrow entrance so it doesn't have to go hunting for it.

Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast