Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,253

0 members and 3,253 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Of Kitties and Leather Sofas

This goes out to all you kitty-savy people out there! Help me decide if it would be OK for us to get one....

I've had lots of kitties in the past...growing up. And two when my hubby and I first got married (about 100 years ago or so ). But we have not had the warmth and love of a furry mammal in the house for going on eight years now.

The primary reason is that my hubby is mildly allergic to cats...and he's an aviator in the Air Force. "Flyers" are not "allowed" to have allergies and if it were ever diagnosed as such, he would lose his flight status. But we had our two kitties for about 8 years without any troubles, until the very end. One kitty was killed...and shortly after that, we moved...and the remaining kitty sort of went nuts and my hubby's allergies went haywire. We had to find a new home for her.

Now...so many years later...I do believe I can control the allergy issues, and he's willing to give it a shot because he loves cats, too. Although we do run the risk of having to re-home it if it causes a serious reaction.

Other than the allergies...my main concern about bringing a new kitty into the home is that we recently bought some new leather sofas. Spent a lot of money on 100% Italian leather. How dangerous are kitty claws to quality leather??? I have no idea...

Kitty would be strictly an indoor cat. I do not believe in de-clawing. Kitty would be spayed/neutered as early as safely possible.

Our other kitties stopped clawing on the furniture as soon as we got them one of those carpeted cat-trees to call their own. So I'm hoping a new Kitty would also be so easily trained. But even so...they love to run and leap and dash across the backs of furniture. Would the leather hold up to that? Or can I expect tons of tiny punctures? Would regular claw trimmings help?

Any experience folks have with cats and leather furniture would be greatly appreciated! (And tips at reducing allergy risks without using drugs are always welcome!)
    -- Judy

BPnet Veteran recycling goddess's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Of Kitties and Leather Sofas

we've always had cats and kittens... and we got this wonderful "butter chair" as we lovingly referred to it. the softest most wonderful butter leather.... ohhhhhhhhh it was heaven to sit in.

anyway... within weeks it was completely destroyed. not from scratching but because the cats/kittens loved the chair as well and their claws just went right thru when they would stretch after a nap...

i would never have leather and cats myself...
    in light, Aleesha

You have 1440 minutes a day... how are you going to spend yours?

Thanks

I think weekly nail trims and Soft Paws(the little silicone covers that you glue on) would work just fine.
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SatanicIntention
    I think weekly nail trims and Soft Paws(the little silicone covers that you glue on) would work just fine.
    I've never heard of such a thing! How hard are they to get on? How long do they last?
    -- Judy

Thanks

I've seen advertisements for Soft Paws at my previous-2-vets-ago vet...but that was years ago, so I'm guessing you might be available to find them from an online pet- or vet-store...?

My cats destroyed my upholstered seats in my dining room chairs, but never attacked my various sofas or recliners - but then I don't have leather and the sofas/recliners have all been quality Lazboys (which I think use pretty tough fabric). Oh, I guess they did also attack the corners of the carpeted stairs as well. =P

I have regularly trimmed their (now just Nicky ) paws and the addition of a regularly cat-nipped scratching post definitely help entice to that instead of the chairs...

To be honest, I just never got around to trying the Soft Paws, but I had always meant to. I did also use some mild and wide double-stick tape stuff designed to deter clawing for while, but I'm guessing that'd be bad to attach to leather.

*edit*
    I <3 teh interweb: Soft Paws
    0.1 ball python (Cleo), 0.1 surinam bcc (Carmen)
    1.0 sunglow motley corn (Jenson), 1.0 albino burmese (Lourdes)
    1.0 cat (Nicky), some mooses and ratters, 1.0 hubby (Rick)

Thanks

First I have to say that I'd hate to see a kitten brought into a house and then have to be rehomed because your hubby had allergy issues after all. So if that may be the case I'd suggest not getting a cat.

Secondly, Soft Paws are fabulous!! I don't personally use them because I trim nails all the time between the cats and the ferrets but my sister has used them and loved them. You can buy them at Petco or other pet stores.

Lastly.. even with trimming or having scratching posts if you cat does decide to claw at your couch, again, I'd hate to see it rehomed for scratching a couch. I'm glad declawing isn't an option for you. I'm extremely against that myself.

So I guess I'd like to know what you'd do if you had a problem with allergies/scratching after all?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cassandra
    *edit*
    I <3 teh interweb: Soft Paws
    Ooh Sheree! Check out the FAQ - it says folks use these on bun-buns too...
    0.1 ball python (Cleo), 0.1 surinam bcc (Carmen)
    1.0 sunglow motley corn (Jenson), 1.0 albino burmese (Lourdes)
    1.0 cat (Nicky), some mooses and ratters, 1.0 hubby (Rick)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Coolios....thanks for the link, Cass! Looks promising!!
    -- Judy

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by joyful girl

So I guess I'd like to know what you'd do if you had a problem with allergies/scratching after all?
    Thanks for your concerns. First off...we consider it a huge commitment to bring any pet into the home, and would not lightly make this decision. Which is why I'm fishing for information here...because I'd like to know how valid my concerns are about the leather and if there are viable ways around that issue. (Such as Soft Paws, which I'd never heard of!)

I'd never get rid of a cat because it clawed the sofa. I'd just be VERY sad that my beautiful sofa was messed up. And if I'm gonna be constantly stressed about the cat ever coming near them....well...then obviously its not worth bringing it home to begin with. But I'm very willing to put in the effort to make it possible to have a happy cat in a home with leather furniture. (Such as regular trimmings and these funky little nail caps) So...we'll see....but no...I wouldn't toss an animal out just because I didn't like something it did.

As for the allergy issue....again...the decision (if/when we make it) will be made only after closely examing all the issues and possible solutions. I don't think it would be so horrible to rehome a kitten if there turns out to be a problem. Not like I'd be tossing it out onto the street. Lots of animals go through multiple homes before finding their "forever" home...foster care, for instance, for rescued animals. Not to mention pet stores and other transient "homes" between the place where they were born and their final family. This is not to say that I consider cats (or any animal for that matter) to be "throw away" pets that it is ok to just take in and get rid of if it "doesn't work out".....but I'm saying that if there is a slight risk of having to re-home the animal for reasons beyond our control...I don't consider that abusive or neglectful of the animal's well being. And I would personally assure that the animal went to a good home.
    -- Judy

Thanks

With all due respect I'd have to say that allergies are not 'beyond your control' because you already know it's a problem prior to getting a cat. It would be different if this was your first cat and you didn't know about the allergies.

I'm not trying to be the preachy person but any rehoming that can be avoided I think is a good thing. I see far to much of it.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast