Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,281

0 members and 3,281 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Question California Mountain King Snake

I hate to ask this here, but this dial up is driving me crazy.

Does anyone know:

1.) Are there a laws against owning a Cali Mountain King in Cali (other than the areas mention HERE

2.) Does anyone know where I might be able to get a CBB?

3.) What exactly is "Musking" that I've read about? Is it just the oder that is put out by some snakes as a defence or does it refer to something else?

I live in the Sierra Nevada Mountains, and these are wild here (that's one of my concerns with the laws + it's Cali and we have all kinds of silly laws). I could wait until later and catch one, but I know that's not recommended due to parasites and other problems that could arise.

I don't plan on getting one real soon, but I'd love to have one of these beauties for a display snake in my living room (again why I would rather buy a CBB than to take one out of it's free and wild habitat).

Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by smasharama13; 02-09-2007 at 06:06 AM. Reason: stupid spelling errors
    - Rick

1.1 Pastels - Gunnar and (Ren) short for Renenutet Trust me it's a girl name.
    0.1 spider - Anansi
    1.3.?? Domestic Rats ....... it changes too much to keep track.

= and + =

Thanks

Re: California Mountain King Snake

Greetings,

Zonatas are legal to own and even take out of the wild, but I wouldn't recommend it as there should be plenty of CBB available.

Here's a quote from the regulations:
    General Provisions: Only the following reptiles may be taken under the authority of a sportfishing license, subject to the restrictions in this section. The limit for each of the species listed below is two, unless otherwise provided. Limit, as used in this section, means daily bag and possession limit. No reptiles shall be taken from ecological reserves designated by the commission in Section 630 or from state parks, or national parks or monuments
    This was taken from this website.

I'm not sure where they might be available right now, but you can try Shannon from High Sierra Reptiles and if she doesn't have any available, I'm sure she could point you in the right direction.

Finally... musking. All snakes have musk glands located by their cloaca and primarily use them as a defense mechanism when they feel threatened. It's nothing to be concerned about, but it can be rather stinky and messy. Kingsnakes and Milksnakes tend to do it frequently when they are young, but they quickly grow out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by smasharama13
    I hate to ask this here, but this dial up is driving me crazy.

Does anyone know:

1.) Are there a laws against owning a Cali Mountain King in Cali (other than the areas mention HERE

2.) Does anyone know where I might be able to get a CBB?

3.) What exactly is "Musking" that I've read about? Is it just the oder that is put out by some snakes as a defence or does it refer to something else?

I live in the Sierra Nevada Mountains, and these are wild here (that's one of my concerns with the laws + it's Cali and we have all kinds of silly laws). I could wait until later and catch one, but I know that's not recommended due to parasites and other problems that could arise.

I don't plan on getting one real soon, but I'd love to have one of these beauties for a display snake in my living room (again why I would rather buy a CBB than to take one out of it's free and wild habitat).

Thanks for the help.

-Lawrence

Thanks

Thank you, I'll go check out that shop. I probably won't be getting anything until late spring/early summer as it stands now.
    - Rick

1.1 Pastels - Gunnar and (Ren) short for Renenutet Trust me it's a girl name.
    0.1 spider - Anansi
    1.3.?? Domestic Rats ....... it changes too much to keep track.

= and + =

Thanks

Where are you located in California?
    0.1 ball python (Cleo), 0.1 surinam bcc (Carmen)
    1.0 sunglow motley corn (Jenson), 1.0 albino burmese (Lourdes)
    1.0 cat (Nicky), some mooses and ratters, 1.0 hubby (Rick)