Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,905

1 members and 2,904 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Re: For those who have used Equate to treat mites...

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Wysocki
    LOL ... I'm sorry, but this just struck me as funny. I know you don't want a debate, but you do know that there are products out there that actually come with directions for treating your snakes enclosure and won't make you nervous to try right?

Wish I could be more helpful ... Good luck with the mites.

-adam
    I suppose that did come off as a bit funny... Perhaps I should have said that this person made it seemed like all I had to do was just spray away and all my troubles would be gone (ok, maybe that's a bit too extreme but she certainly didn't mention any specific "guidelines" for using this stuff). Should I just spray away on the enclosure? Should I spray the shelving unit that the tank is on? Should I treat her hides with this stuff as well? I guess that's where my "nervousness" came in... I do realize that there are products out there that actually come with directions for treating my snakes enclosure but even with those I've got a million and one "what if's". Heck, I got step by step directions from my vet for the Ivermectin solution and still got worried that I might screw it up.

Quote Originally Posted by rabernet
    Are the risks of someone with no experience with mite treatments REALLY worth saving $20?
    It's also not the issue of saving a penny either. With the amount of money that i've spent so far on vet bills (initial check up / medication / follow-ups) I'm not worried about $20. I seriously believe they've got you coming and going! And yes I know I probably could have saved a bundle if I had just purchased PAM (or Equate) in the first place but I figured I'd have her looked at anyway to make sure she was healthy in all other areas.

I have read that both were "for the most part" identical and would/could treat and irradiate mites. Since Wally World was on my way home from the swap I figured I swing by, pick some up and give it a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by SatanicIntention
    And whoever said Ivermectin was only a dewormer, isn't correct. It can be used as a mite/lice killer as well as I've used it to treat lice on rats before(yay rescues... *sigh*). The Ivermectin goes through their blood stream and when the parasites go to take a blood-meal, they ingest the ivermectin and die. We use it to kill ear mites too in conjunction with topical treatment.

I use Provent A Mite, when I need to, because that $17 extra I spent may well save one of my snakes' lives. I think that's all what we need to be concerned about here... Not the cost...

Sounds like some people I know who would rather spend $7 on a bag of crappy dog food, only to have to fix their dog's allergy problems, bladder infections/stones, joint problems later down the road, instead of spending $25 on a good quality dog food and never having any of those problems... All I can say to these people is DUH!
    Again it's not a matter of saving a few bucks... In reading past posts and in seeing that people have had success with BOTH products I figured i'd give the Equate a shot. I suppose if you need to call it anything you can call it "convenience" since the store was right there. As i've seen with so many different posts, everyone has their own way of doing things. (I'm not keen on keeping my snakes in plastic bins but that's just me...) I'm not here to knock anybody but simply looking for a few suggestions. I also know that with any product that contains chemicals (if used improperly) can cause harm and even death in any living creature.

Well i've certainly started my first post off with a "bang"... I also suppose my hopes in no lengthy debates has been well...er...um... Oh let's just leave it at that.

So in using EITHER product should I somehow seal up the enclosure after I've sprayed it down or can I just spray it as is and leave it out in the open??? (I got more two cents from someone in passing saying that I should put the tank in one of those large black garbage bags, spray it down, seal it up for about an hour and then open it up and let it air dry) Should I spray the hides as well or should I just wash those in a bleach/water solution? Can I and should I treat the areas surrounding her tank (and with what)?

And thank you to everyone who has contributed in their own little way, shape or form... I do really appreciate it!

Thanks

[QUOTE=SatanicIntention]And whoever said Ivermectin was only a dewormer, isn't correct. It can be used as a mite/lice killer as well as I've used it to treat lice on rats before(yay rescues... *sigh*). The Ivermectin goes through their blood stream and when the parasites go to take a blood-meal, they ingest the ivermectin and die. We use it to kill ear mites too in conjunction with topical treatment. [QUOTE]

Actually after reading all these posts where people are concerned about using a product off lable then my statment about it being only a dewormer is accurate. Sure if want to feed Ivermectin to your snake then yes it will kill mites and ticks that bite the snake...but it you are willing to do this then spraying Equate around your snakes cage shouldn't really concern you now should it?

The person who started this post has been using Ivermectin for weeks and still has mites so for them Ivermectin is just a de-wormer and usless. I will simply relaying my experience with Equate and PAM and trying to simply explain why the Ivermectin wasn't working.
    Last edited by lord jackel; 02-07-2007 at 10:09 PM.

Thanks

I've used Equate bedding spray for Lice several times. Works wonders!
    Mike

Banned
    Thanks

Thumbs down Re: For those who have used Equate to treat mites...

Adam, this was not directed to anyone in particular. maybe to the 12 - 14 year olds that dispense advice freely that really have no business giving advice. owning 1 ball python, 1 leopard gecko, 1 hamster and 1 gerbil does not qualify anyone as an expert and entitle you to give advice! maybe I should have worded my reply differently?

To the negative rep givers, maybe you really need some balls? if your man or woman enought to give out negative rep, at least own up to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Wysocki
    Who do you mean ED?

-adam

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ECLARK
    Adam, this was not directed to anyone in particular. maybe to the 12 - 14 year olds that dispense advice freely that really have no business giving advice. owning 1 ball python, 1 leopard gecko, 1 hamster and 1 gerbil does not qualify anyone as an expert and entitle you to give advice! maybe I should have worded my reply differently?
    I'm curious, Ed....what sort of collection do you think I have? 30-40 ball pythons? 100? ....one. I have one ball python. And one cape gophersnake. And one beardie. By your definition, I should not be giving advice here? Wow....maybe I should take my 10,000+ post count and go home? (with less than 1% of my posts being "just pictures")

Seriously, Ed...I know you have issues with some people here, but this sort of comment was entirely uncalled for. We have some awesome young people here who have helped far more people than most of the "grown ups." And I would think it more than obvious that the number of animals one owns should have no bearing on how qualified they are to help out around here. Thank all that's good that there ARE people actually willing to help out.
    -- Judy

Thanks

Let's not stoop to a back and forth snapping at each other about rep points, good, bad or otherwise. If someone gave you one you don't agree with Ed, then by all means speak privately to a Mod or Admin. That's their job to deal with such things and, in my little old opinion, best left out of topic threads.

As to the PAM vs Equate thing, once again for Mike and I it will never be a debate. PAM's been tested and found safe for use on snakes. Equate was never tested to be safe for use on snakes. It's a $17.00 dollar difference and a bit of inconvenience but for us no biggie. We've never seen a mite, hope like heck we never do but when and if it happens (and it likely will at some point) we'll use PAM, use it with confidence in the research and the years of solid real use by top breeders.

I've never seen the wisdom in reinventing the wheel nor trying to make a square peg fit a round hole.
    ~~Joanna~~

BPnet Veteran recycling goddess's Avatar
    Thanks

this thread is the reason i will always only ever use PAM (provent a mite) for my snakes. it broke my heart when this happened...
    in light, Aleesha

You have 1440 minutes a day... how are you going to spend yours?

Thanks

I have used Equate, not due to price but because it's the only thing I could get within a reasonable amount of time (I tried four different places for PAM and all were out, I tell you the mites had a plan) when I needed it.

I used it according to the PAM instructions and it worked wonderfully. Have had only one mite problem since and it was from a boa someone dropped off that brought a whole other planet with her.

At this point I have both available, I try to stock up on PAM at shows and I also have some cans of Equate as backup.
    Cost shouldn't really be the reason you choose one over the other, and personally I made an informed decision, I didn't expect any trouble and didn't get any. Would I recommend this to a novice keeper? No, if you're not sure just go with the tried and true.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by recycling goddess
    this thread is the reason i will always only ever use PAM (provent a mite) for my snakes. it broke my heart when this happened...
    Wow..that's crazy, Aleesha... she didn't update on that thread--did she post elsewhere about the necropsy results??
    --Kim
    1.0.0 Lemon Pastel (Auryn)

BPnet Veteran recycling goddess's Avatar
    Thanks

not that i can remember... but i'll give her nudge into this thread
    in light, Aleesha

You have 1440 minutes a day... how are you going to spend yours?

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast