Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,930

1 members and 2,929 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Re: For those who have used Equate to treat mites...

mine is about 250 a month. whats yours.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BALLISTIC BOAS
    you can use pam in your monitors cage. just use it in small doses on the sided. dont spray the bedding. i treat my monitor cages all the time and have not lost one yet.
    The fact that insects go into to the monitor cage as food items....I do not want insecticides present. Unlike most monitors, my v. storri are very small....so exposing them to any amount of poison is way too much of a risk. One pesticide dosed cricket might not do to much to a bosc or even an large ackie.....but it could kill a storri.

Banned
    Thanks

I've used oth Equate and PAM. I've had incredible results with both. I had a mite infestation a little while ago in my Blood Python rack and one of my Ball Python racks, so I moved these racks to the quarantine room, and used equate instead of PAM. To say the least after one treatment with Equate, I haven't seen mites again

To add to this though. If your going to treat mites, remember to follow the directions, and treat the snake as well. Give the snake a warm bath to help drown the mites on the animal. You can add a drop or two of Ivory soap, or another very mild soap to the water, after the snake has drank to avoid the snake consuming the soap. This will eliminate air pockets on the animal, and help kill off the mites. All of this information, as well as being recommended Equate came from a friend, Jim. It worked wonders. I see no problem at all with using Equate as long as you use it properly.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BALLISTIC BOAS
    mine is about 250 a month. whats yours.
    More than that a week.

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

Banned
    Thanks

Smile Re: For those who have used Equate to treat mites...

I use proventamite and other products as well. they all work equaly well in killing mites and not harming reptiles.

I will not talk about the other products, as I dont want to argue with all the so called experts here!

There is always more than one way to accomplish something. and its important to keep an open mind.

Thanks

And whoever said Ivermectin was only a dewormer, isn't correct. It can be used as a mite/lice killer as well as I've used it to treat lice on rats before(yay rescues... *sigh*). The Ivermectin goes through their blood stream and when the parasites go to take a blood-meal, they ingest the ivermectin and die. We use it to kill ear mites too in conjunction with topical treatment.

I use Provent A Mite, when I need to, because that $17 extra I spent may well save one of my snakes' lives. I think that's all what we need to be concerned about here... Not the cost...

Sounds like some people I know who would rather spend $7 on a bag of crappy dog food, only to have to fix their dog's allergy problems, bladder infections/stones, joint problems later down the road, instead of spending $25 on a good quality dog food and never having any of those problems... All I can say to these people is DUH!
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SatanicIntention
    And whoever said Ivermectin was only a dewormer, isn't correct. It can be used as a mite/lice killer as well as I've used it to treat lice on rats before(yay rescues... *sigh*). The Ivermectin goes through their blood stream and when the parasites go to take a blood-meal, they ingest the ivermectin and die. We use it to kill ear mites too in conjunction with topical treatment.

I use Provent A Mite, when I need to, because that $17 extra I spent may well save one of my snakes' lives. I think that's all what we need to be concerned about here... Not the cost...

Sounds like some people I know who would rather spend $7 on a bag of crappy dog food, only to have to fix their dog's allergy problems, bladder infections/stones, joint problems later down the road, instead of spending $25 on a good quality dog food and never having any of those problems... All I can say to these people is DUH!
    Brilliant! Bottom line, if you are not experienced with home brews or alternative treatments, use PAM and don't risk your animal's life. I know Ed is referring to home brew that he has used for years but if used wrong it can and will cause serious neurological damage or death. If you are willing to risk your snake's life to save $17, you probably shouldn't own a living creature. I can't stress enough that owning, feeding and caring for a living, breathing creature is never cheap.

Banned
    Thanks

Smile Re: For those who have used Equate to treat mites...

Jamie, Thats why I did not talk about my treatments that I use. I am so anal about mites, I mop the floor with one of my home remedies every month. just incase I pick up a mite egg on my shoe after a reptile show. being anal about mites is the reason I have none!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ECLARK
    Jamie, Thats why I did not talk about my treatments that I use. I am so anal about mites, I mop the floor with one of my home remedies every month. just incase I pick up a mite egg on my shoe after a reptile show. being anal about mites is the reason I have none!
    I hear ya! The only thing worse than being anal about mites is having anal mites..Or so I hear!

I had mites with my first Ball Python. Never had a single one since.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ECLARK
    as I dont want to argue with all the so called experts here!
    Who do you mean ED?

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast