Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,934

0 members and 2,934 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Thor - Scratching on Glass

Hey guys, I'm new around here. I found this place when Googling for info on my beardie, and it looks great.

I just moved my 6-8 month old BD (named Thor) to a new 15 gallon tank day before yesterday (upgraded space), however ever since he was put in there, he's been trying to dig in the back left corner, scratching on the glass. He's been doing this for hours and hours, and I'm starting to get a little worried.

I found another recent thread that was similar to this, but he's still eating well, and I've taken him out, but he gets really antsy and keeps darting off.

Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

Thanks

Re: Thor - Scratching on Glass

You probably need a bigger enclosure. An 8 month old bearded dragon should be reaching at least 12-16" inches TL and needs to be in a 40 gallon breeder size enclosure (36"x18" base). Also make sure you are providing places for the beardie to hide if it wants to have shelter.

What type of substrate are you keeping it on?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by daniel1983
    You probably need a bigger enclosure. An 8 month old bearded dragon should be reaching at least 12-16" inches TL and needs to be in a 40 gallon breeder size enclosure (36"x18" base). Also make sure you are providing places for the beardie to hide if it wants to have shelter.

What type of substrate are you keeping it on?
    First, thank you for the quick reply.

Maybe he's not quite that old then (bought at a petstore, and they were clueless). He's about 7-8 inches long, nose to tail. He looks tiny compared to how much room he has, and he only leaves that corner if I drop crickets in the other side, which he runs over, eats, and returns to his corner to keep scratching. I've never even seen him explore 90% of the tank. I've picked him up and put him different places, and he goes right back to his corner.

Edit: And you asked about substrate. I'm using very, very fine grain sand (the bag said it was made for beadies).

Thanks

Do you have places for it to hide? Scratching at corners is a sign of insecurity.

How are you heating the enclosure?

Sand is not a good substrate for young bearded dragons(dispite what the packaging may say).....so you should probably take that out and put in either newspaper or paper towels until it gets larger.

The more you describe how you are keeping the animal, the easier it will be to help out

BPnet Veteran recycling goddess's Avatar
    Thanks

greetings,

daniel is right. sand is not a good substrate for a young dragon. they eat it and get impacted... esp the calcium sand - horrid stuff!

i have a website which has some great links to information on it... all of which can probably assist you to some degree.

http:www.timelessspirit.com/enclosure.html
    in light, Aleesha

You have 1440 minutes a day... how are you going to spend yours?

Thanks

Hum, his old habitat had the same kind of sand, and it was no problem.

He has a hollowed out log to hide under, but he never goes under there. I think you might be right about the insecurity part, since it's a new cage. I just rearranged a few things to try and give him a little more privacy. Later tonight I'll run out and get some new batteries for my camera, and I'll post picture of him and his setup.

Thanks for all your help so far though.

Edit: This is the kind of hollowed-log I'm talking about:
    http://www.timelessspirit.com/images/dragons/1.jpg
    Last edited by komodo9; 02-06-2007 at 02:36 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by komodo9

Edit: This is the kind of hollowed-log I'm talking about:
    http://www.timelessspirit.com/images/dragons/1.jpg
    Warning, be very careful with those half logs. They are made of pine, when put under hot lights such as the type you use for a desert lizard, they can and usually do put off pine fumes... you may not be able to smell it, but I can gaurantee your dragon can. I had one of these logs and the dragon who was using it had neuro issues until we took this log out and replaced it with something not made of pine. Her neuro issues showed within about 4 months of using that log, and took about 2 plus months to clear up after removing that log. I personally do not reccomend the use of these with desert lizards if you intend to put them under the lights to be basked on...
    *Jeanne*

"To acquire knowledge, one must study; but to acquire wisdom, one must observe"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by komodo9
    Hum, his old habitat had the same kind of sand, and it was no problem.
    becoming impacted is a gradual thing. they eat the crickets... take a piece of sand in with them. eat more crickets... eat more sand and then one day... they have this lump of cement in their belly.

i ALWAYS fed my dragons on their loft... or in a bucket. i had them trained... they saw the bucket come to the enclosure and they just climbed right in and pigged out... and then climbed back out again LOL

silkworms... i'd put up on their loft... in with their greens or sometimes i'd set them around the enclosure on the driftwood... but most times... their food was up on the loft.

and my dragons were full grown before they were on sand. i purchased playsand at the hardware store.
    in light, Aleesha

Thanks

the sand - no sand issue is a dispute which will never be decided one way or another... but everyone agrees... sand for young beardies is a no no.
    in light, Aleesha

Thanks

Okay, I'm convinced. Newspaper is okay, right? Or what do you recommend that's easy to clean?

Also, this doesn't explain his perpetual obsession with scratching his way out of that back left corner? He's doing it nonstop for hours... no matter what I do, he keeps going back there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast