Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,234

2 members and 3,232 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

some questions on my baby blood

1. yesterday she threw up this clear liquid which looks like the medicine i gave her earlier for her RI.should i concerned that someone has gone wrong or did she just reject the medicine? thats the 1st time shes done that since she started with the medicine.the temp is at around 95 degrees F now since the last time i checked on it.

2. the vet told me a good way to keep the temp steady is to get a blue(preffered to leave it on during the night) light bulb instead or a regular bulb with no color so that even during the night,she could keep warm and the light wouldnt bother me while im sleeping.would that be a good idea to get a blue light bulb and leave it on 24/7 to keep the temp steady?

3. bloods need low humidity right? what would be a good way to help keep it dry at 50%-60% as the caresheet suggests? i have her in a 20 gal tank.not too sure about the measurements.
    FB: https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile....00001688532105
    Upcoming concerts:
    October 10: KoRn
    October 11 - Bon Jovi
    October 19: Death Angel
    October 26 - Avenged Sevenfold, Deftones, Ghost
    October 28: Slayer
    November 8 - Nine Inch Nails
    November 15 - Kreator, Overkill, Warbringer
    November 27: In This Moment
    -Misael

Thanks

Re: some questions on my baby blood

Can you go into more detail regarding the setup, etc? 95 is *awfully* hot for a young blood.

Also, humidity should be higher when they're up against an RI. Not sopping wet moldy high, but blood pythons are prone to drying out (especially if you're using a 95-degree overhead bulb to heat the cage), and irritated lung tissue is not what you're after here.

If you can do a simple rubbermaid style setup with a heating pad, newspaper substrate & a water bowl, I think you'll find that your snake's environment is a lot easier to keep consistent & within the desired temp/humidity range. Light bulbs are not your friend when you're trying to deal with a sick blood python. We want warm, humid (but not wet), secure, safe, quiet, peaceful and CONSISTENT.

Explain this "regurge" of clear fluid - did you actually see the snake regurgitate it, or is there the possibility that the snake might have been drooling after consuming a large quantity of water?

K~
    Kara L. Norris
    The Blood Cell - BloodPythons.com
    Selectively-bred bloods & short-tailed pythons
    Quality is our only filter.

Thanks

yeah i saw the liquid when she regurgitated it.the liquid came out from her throat and there were bubbles on the side.as for her set up,she has newspaper for substrate and some balled up newspaper for "security" and she has her water bowl.as for the rubbermaid setup you were talking,do you mean a large one like that ones you use, or a small one thats used for food? i can find plastic tubs at a nearby store with no problem if maintaing humidity would be easier with those for her RI.so too keep it warm and humid, what would you recommend? i have a heat mat as well.should i use moss from the stores for humidity levels?
    Upcoming concerts:
    October 11 - Bon Jovi
    -Misael

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Snakeman
    yeah i saw the liquid when she regurgitated it.the liquid came out from her throat and there were bubbles on the side.
    Ok, to clarify - did she drool the liquid out, or did she regurgitate it? Regurgitation is a somewhat violent process since snakes aren't actually built to upchuck - there's a big difference between this & drooling out a lot of liquid, and you'll know it when you see it. So please clarify.

Quote Originally Posted by Snakeman
    as for her set up,she has newspaper for substrate and some balled up newspaper for "security" and she has her water bowl.as for the rubbermaid setup you were talking,do you mean a large one like that ones you use, or a small one thats used for food? i can find plastic tubs at a nearby store with no problem if maintaing humidity would be easier with those for her RI.so too keep it warm and humid, what would you recommend? i have a heat mat as well.should i use moss from the stores for humidity levels?
    You want a box as long as the snake is. The box doesn't have to be particularly big/wide/tall, but your snake MUST be able to stretch out completely at least down the length of one side. Blood pythons have a very big primary lung - half their body length big. It's important that your snake have room to really stretch out & get comfy & be able to breathe without being constrained. Setting up a basic rubbermaid box with a heat pad on one end, a thick pad of newspaper substrate, a water bowl, and a hide box. If your snake is seriously sick & trying to clear the lung, you may see it propped up on the hide box from time to time in order to help it breathe. This is where rounded plastic hides come in handy, as they're easy for the snake to lay across & also easy to disinfect - just run them through the dishwasher.

Check your temps & humidity & see where your snake is comfortable - 70% humidity is a good range, but forget using moss or making the box dripping wet. Lightly misting the newspaper substrate should be more than sufficient. Hot spot of 88-90 degrees will also work, provided you have a box that is of appropriate size. The Sterilite 1756 size box is a good one & can usually be picked up at any Target store. If this size is too big, go one smaller (how big is the snake in question?). Ambient temp should be around 82-ish. Set your snake up, tweak the environment as necessary, and then leave the animal alone except for basic husbandry. No feeding, no handling, no undue stress.

K~
    Kara L. Norris
    The Blood Cell - BloodPythons.com
    Selectively-bred bloods & short-tailed pythons
    Quality is our only filter.

Thanks

Misael - Was it a slimy, liquid, bubbly ball of goo that had no smell to it at all?

I know my one BP "puked" one of those up when she was getting over her RI. It was like a clear mucus ball.
    ---=ALLISON=---
    "Not everyone is going to agree or listen to what you say but I have learned to do my best to educate and hope they listen in the long run. Just keep trying to educate. There will be people out there that actually do listen and learn. -Me"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lillyorchid
    Misael - Was it a slimy, liquid, bubbly ball of goo that had no smell to it at all?

I know my one BP "puked" one of those up when she was getting over her RI. It was like a clear mucus ball.
    yes it was something like that.to clarify it, she had her mouth open for like 20 seconds and then her body started to twitch a bit and i heard a "squish" noise and then the water(or whatever it was) came out.i didnt stop to smell it because she got it on my bed and i cleaned it up(this was while i was changing her newspaper and putting fresh water).
    Upcoming concerts:
    October 11 - Bon Jovi
    -Misael

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KLG
    You want a box as long as the snake is. The box doesn't have to be particularly big/wide/tall, but your snake MUST be able to stretch out completely at least down the length of one side. Blood pythons have a very big primary lung - half their body length big. It's important that your snake have room to really stretch out & get comfy & be able to breathe without being constrained. Setting up a basic rubbermaid box with a heat pad on one end, a thick pad of newspaper substrate, a water bowl, and a hide box. If your snake is seriously sick & trying to clear the lung, you may see it propped up on the hide box from time to time in order to help it breathe. This is where rounded plastic hides come in handy, as they're easy for the snake to lay across & also easy to disinfect - just run them through the dishwasher.
    ok i see what you mean.but just in case,would you happen to have pics of this setup? that way i make sure im doing the right thing and not messing up.
    Upcoming concerts:
    October 11 - Bon Jovi
    -Misael