Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 521

0 members and 521 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
    Thanks

Wow, Rats can be fast....

So I'm not sure if I mentioned it before, but I had a black male rat escape on me one day in my garage...... TONS of places for him to run away and hide, so it was a bit tricky catching him..... he was out for 2 or 3 weeks, and we finally spent 45 minutes trapping and catching him.

All I can say is wow... I've never seen a rat move that fast, they can be like greased lightning... We chased him towards a tub blocking his exit, and he was in it and we put the lid on it before he realized it...

He was skittish for 2 or 3 days, but once he was back in with a gf he calmed down. He was fairly calmed down after a week, but we put him in with a bunch of mediums that I was going to sell the next week. Well the mediums were mostly black and they grew fast, so as I was cleaning out the tubs that next week, he saw his chance for escape and lept a few feet onto a rack and was unreachable...

Shortly after that I got more food/bedding giving him more places to hide. He has been MIA for about 2 months now, other than one or two sightings of him flashing around to verify that he was still hanging around. He hasn't been chewing on my watering pipes or anything, and he has plenty of food access via toppers, but there have been no opportunities to catch him...

Well I ran out to the garage yesterday to water one rack and lo and behold there he was on top of the mother racks... I glanced around and made sure he wasnt an escaped mother, and then waited for my wife to join me.... He went up and down and around the rack like a jungle gym , but on the floor he ran into my wifes hand and bounced off and i grabbed him and tossed him into a 1.5' tall tub... he hit the bedding and immediately bounced 2 feet in the air and kept on trucking across the floor and up behind some scrap wood and storage

So he is still at large. He is at least 1.5 lbs now, so I know he is doing well, hopefully one of these days we can catch him and re-domesticate him before he dies of old age and loneliness Do you think he visits the other rats through the caging enough to keep from getting really lonely?
    bryan

Thanks

Re: Wow, Rats can be fast....

What an escapee he is LOL. I guess a humane live trap probably won't work as he's got tons of access to food but it might be worth a try with something really stinky and interesting to lure him in.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

LOL... too funny. Hope you catch him one day. Too bad you couldn't get a video with the Benny Hill theme playing in the background.

-Lawrence

Thanks

I would loved to have seen a video of that last chase!!!!!

Hope you catch him soon. That live trap idea might be worth a try, I know mice cannot resist peanut butter ....

Neil
    Bunch of BP's
    0.1 3 Toed Box Turtles (Thunderball)
    2.1 Labradoodles (Duke, Vinnie, Sophie)
    0.1 Awsome Wife - 1.2 Awesome Kids

www.sunsetpythons.com