Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,195

1 members and 2,194 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Question about hognose feedings (WARNING TO SOME)

Has anyone else watched where they're hognose would sit and chew (guessing they're geting the saliva into the mouse) and then it suddenly turn into a blood bath.
    Its only happened with my hognoses, never the old ball python, old cornsnke, my anaconda, or my False water cobra. Maybe I could see if the saliva is doing this but cant tell. What happens is they eat and suddenly blood and who knows what else comes out. Its white in color and sprays. The first time FREAKED me out because I thought it came from the hognose and I was a reck.
    Any reply are greatly appreciated(SP?)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Question about hognose feedings (WARNING TO SOME)

Also, pictures can be taken IF someone needs a better description. I dont want to take any then post but if it help I will.
    Thanks
    PJ

Thanks

Remember.. very important note....hognoses are rear fanged. They do have some venom. The chewing action is, more than likely, your snake getting the venom into the prey. The mess you are seeing could be the results of the venom actually doing what it is intended for, the beginning the breakdown of tissue. If I am wrong, please someone correct me.

Thanks

that's only happened to me one time, it was during a live feeding. he'd chew and chew and occsionally bash the pinky against the side of the cage. it looked like a slow death so i feed frozen now without incident... he just slithers up and swallows it down. the white stuff is possibly brain matter.
    i would imagine they're basically punching the mouse full of holes as they purposely do this to toads in the wild because of the way toads puff up as a defense mechanism.
    i dont believe their fangs actually inject venom, though i could be wrong.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kzooherpetoculturist
    that's only happened to me one time, it was during a live feeding. he'd chew and chew and occsionally bash the pinky against the side of the cage. it looked like a slow death so i feed frozen now without incident... he just slithers up and swallows it down. the white stuff is possibly brain matter.
    i would imagine they're basically punching the mouse full of holes as they purposely do this to toads in the wild because of the way toads puff up as a defense mechanism.
    i dont believe their fangs actually inject venom, though i could be wrong.
    Alright, thanks. It was live as this guy will not take f/t. I have a hard time believeing that it was caused by its saliva (some concider saliva, others concider venom) as its delievery could not inject enough to cause it to start breaking down the prey that quick. I was thnking about it more and more today.

Thanks

After doing a little research, i have found out the hognose do have enlarged teeth in rear of their mouth. The rear fangs are generally used to deflate toads in the wild. They are slightly venomous. The venom is said to be harmless to humans, but I have seen a hognose bite on this site that looked pretty rough to me.