Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 485

1 members and 484 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
    Thanks

Maybe missed it in the FAQ, but how long before breeding a mouse after removing babys

I win the long title award!

So Rick and I are playing with the idea of keeping the surprise prego mouse we got in December and having another go at babies with her. I just pulled her last 5 babies out, CO2 euth'ed and tucked them away in the freezer for Jenson to munch on later. The last 5 were 3.5 weeks old; the mouse had 11 total, several of which Jenson had already eaten and a few more I pulled out a week or so ago to euth and freeze to have an in between size.

Anywho, cleaned out the momma cage, gave her fresh food and water and nice leftover T-bone bone to chew on...how long would be good to wait before introducing an adult male mouser to her? Two weeks? Three? One? =)
    0.1 ball python (Cleo), 0.1 surinam bcc (Carmen)
    1.0 sunglow motley corn (Jenson), 1.0 albino burmese (Lourdes)
    1.0 cat (Nicky), some mooses and ratters, 1.0 hubby (Rick)

Thanks

Re: Maybe missed it in the FAQ, but how long before breeding a mouse after removing babys

I give my rats a week off after I take their babies before I introduce her to a male again.

-Lawrence

Thanks

Re: Maybe missed it in the FAQ, but how long before breeding a mouse after removing babys

Not so sure with mice Cass but with my female rats I go by the size of the litter they nursed. Less than 10 they get 7 to 9 days minimum, 10 to 15 they get at least 12 days, more than 15 they get 15 to 18 days. Just rule of thumb really though as I also go by how that particular female did coming out of her the maternity tank. Some of them handle litter raising better than others. Some need more of a rest between litters than others. I tend to be very conservative on that and if I'm not sure I just give the female a few more days before she goes back into the breeding tank with one of our male rats.
    ~~Joanna~~

BPnet Veteran Pork Chops N' Corn Bread's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Maybe missed it in the FAQ, but how long before breeding a mouse after removing b

Just be careful. Mice have a tendency to fight if reinterduced(sp?). I would have just left the male in there myself but thats just me.
    ~Jake~
    Too many boas to list and a few balls as well

Thanks

Re: Maybe missed it in the FAQ, but how long before breeding a mouse after removing b

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chops N' Corn Bread
    Just be careful. Mice have a tendency to fight if reinterduced(sp?). I would have just left the male in there myself but thats just me.
    I don't have a male; the momma is a mouse I bought as a feeder and didn't notice she was preggers until I got her home. =)

I'll give her a week or so and then she how she looks. She's definitely snoozing a lot right now, poor thing, =)
    0.1 ball python (Cleo), 0.1 surinam bcc (Carmen)
    1.0 sunglow motley corn (Jenson), 1.0 albino burmese (Lourdes)
    1.0 cat (Nicky), some mooses and ratters, 1.0 hubby (Rick)

BPnet Veteran recycling goddess's Avatar
    Thanks

and feed her lots of healthy food before you breed her again.

the healthier the mom is... the healthier the babies will be and the better she'll handle nursing them.
    in light, Aleesha

You have 1440 minutes a day... how are you going to spend yours?