Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,936

1 members and 2,935 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

Getting a New Lizard

I was thinking about getting a new lizard. I used to have a juv. Bearded Dragon but he died due to impaction in early December. I currently have two cats that live in my room (its a basement set up as a bedroom) some fish, and one Snow Corn Snake. My grandmother says this is all I can have, but I think if I were to bring a lizard home she couldn't say much once its here.

As for available tanks, I have none. My 5 gallon had to be used to rescue my Betta fish when my cat knocked over his 3 gallon tank. (at 2:30am) I have no plans on getting one now as I don't have the money, but I'd like some suggestions on a lizard that can live in a 20g or smaller, preferablly 10 or less, handable (doesn't have to be, but its nice.), and they can either be kept alone or in a small group.

I saw this one lizard at Petsmart that was really awsome. It was a name I can't pronouce, and began with a U I think. I got to hold him and while very active, was really neat.

*A note about my house. It can get very cold, especially in the winter time. My grandmother thinks we have to live in winterwonderland, indoors. On average, the temperature stays around 65. I use a space heater to help with my room, but it is still pretty cool. I can use heat lamps, ect, but I'm just worried about when the power goes out. We have gas heat, so the temp in the house will stay the same, but I don't know how the reptiles will fair without a heat lamp.
    Under Construction.....

Thanks

Re: Getting a New Lizard

I would NOT advocate bringing home a lizard without getting permission.

Crested geckos can tolerate room temperatures, however I would still add extra heating, at least for the winter with the temperatures in your house. A single leopard gecko can live in a 10 gallon, however you will have to provide additional heating.
    Check out my gallery! www.schlyne.deviantart.com I am not really active on forums anymore, but I am on facebook.
    Please Click the Dragon eggs/hatchlings!

All of my Dragons can be seen here http://dragcave.ath.cx/user/48959

Thanks

That is why I'm not getting one now. I'm going to do a little research for a while then talk to my grandmother. I would love a leopard gecko, but I'm still wondering what that lizard was at Petsmart. I can't remember its name. It was brown in color and had a spikey tail. Lived in very hot desert conditions (basking area to be near 115, or something near it.) Its name began with a U.
    Under Construction.....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jay_Bunny
    That is why I'm not getting one now. I'm going to do a little research for a while then talk to my grandmother. I would love a leopard gecko, but I'm still wondering what that lizard was at Petsmart. I can't remember its name. It was brown in color and had a spikey tail. Lived in very hot desert conditions (basking area to be near 115, or something near it.) Its name began with a U.
    uromastyx?
    lots of snakes

Thanks

sounds like a uro. they are great lizzards but need at least a 30-40 gallon tank as juvies. i would stick with a creasted. they are only like 40 at petsmart or petco. and extreemly easy to care for. just my .02

Thanks

can you handle cresteds?
    Under Construction.....

Thanks

Oh, and I've bumped the possible tank size up to 20g. If I get a lizard, I will be getting a 20g to keep it in.
    Under Construction.....