Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,281

1 members and 3,280 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42

Thread: 1st conda

Thanks

1st conda

my husband broke down and is going to let me get a yellow anaconda. of course i want to wait till i can get his encloser compleatly set up before ordering him. i have a breeder picked out and did all of my research my question is does any body have any tips for set up? i'm a baby so i wanted to start with a 55gl glass tank, i have some what of an idea in my head but i am looking for tips.

Thanks

Re: 1st conda

Baby anacondas can actually be quite shy.. a 55 gallon tank is really huge for a baby.. you may have trouble getting it to eat. Something along the lines of a 10 gallon tank (or better yet a plastic tub) will be better for a young snake. As it gets older and more confident/settled in, you can move on to the 55g tank.

Are you getting a male or a female? Adults will need either a 4'x2' cage or a 6'x2' cage depending on how large they are.. females of course are considerably larger, but anacondas are slow growers.

April
    My art gallery (herp related) http://cerulean-serpent.deviantart.com/

Thanks

I agree, 55 gal is a little large, I would throw it in a 10-20 gal or a rubbermaid style tub, at least until it's taken a few meals. Yellows tend to thrive fairly well though, good luck!!!

Thanks

i'm getting a male, the tank is custom designed and is about 4'x2'. will that be for an adult? what kind of heat source should i use for a plastic tub? thanks for all of your help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelby
    Baby anacondas can actually be quite shy.. a 55 gallon tank is really huge for a baby.. you may have trouble getting it to eat. Something along the lines of a 10 gallon tank (or better yet a plastic tub) will be better for a young snake. As it gets older and more confident/settled in, you can move on to the 55g tank.

Are you getting a male or a female? Adults will need either a 4'x2' cage or a 6'x2' cage depending on how large they are.. females of course are considerably larger, but anacondas are slow growers.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Kat
    i'm getting a male, the tank is custom designed and is about 4'x2'. will that be for an adult? what kind of heat source should i use for a plastic tub? thanks for all of your help.
    Plastic tubs... tanks... same thing as far as what to use for heating. I don't know the temperature requirements as far as anacondas go, but Flexwatt on a Johnsons Controls/Ranco (or Helix/Herpstat, whichever you want) will meet your needs.
    flickr
    Reptiles: 0.1 Colombian BCI

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Kat

4'x2' will be fine for an adult male yellow.

I recommend using flexwatt heat tape for your cage. It needs to be plugged into a thermostat though (like all under tank heaters) otherwise it will get too hot and burn your snake.

Yellows can be kept in the same basic temperature range as ball pythons.. perhaps a degree or two cooler.

April
    My art gallery (herp related) http://cerulean-serpent.deviantart.com/