Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,126

2 members and 2,124 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 618 Posts

Exclamation New rodent room part 2!

Well it's not done yet, but it has come a long way. We are definitely over budget, but it looks like it will be done on time. My scheduled complete date was Feb. 28. For those of you who have been waiting for an update, here it is.
    First pic is the new door.

This is the wall with the window. This is where the A/C will go. In my last two construction projects, I just made a hole in the wall for the window unit. Well, when your unit craps out, and you have to replace it, if you have to get a different model, it never fits. So this time, I said I would do it right.

This is the long wall. Most probably it will be filled from one end to the other with racks.

This wall is opposite the window, andwill probably be insulated and walled up last.

This is the second long wall. It will probably have a bunch of racks and plenty of bags of rodent chow. It does have some insulation already installed. It is next in line for plywood.

By the way, all of these walls will eventually be covered with what I call shower board. It will be glued onto the plywood walls. Makes for easy clean up of urine from bad aiming rats.

This last picture is of the two vent fans that we installed into the ceiling. They are independantly operated, so that if only one is needed, say the day after cleaning, the other can be turned off.

Hopefully in about three weeks I will have some more pics of a nearly complete room. And of course, we'll put up pics after the room is done and inhabited. Hope you enjoy the pics. If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask.
    Tim Bailey
    (A.K.A. MBM or Art Pimp)
    www.baileyreptiles.com
    The Blog

Thanks

Re: New rodent room part 2!

very nice i love seeing pictures of reptile rooms...PLEASE post more pics

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nathanledet
    very nice i love seeing pictures of reptile rooms...PLEASE post more pics
    Pssst....Nate...it's a rodent room!

Looks like it's coming along nicely Tim! Can't wait to see it when it's finished!

Thanks

that's what i said...who edited my post?

Banned
    Thanks

Really nice Tim! Looks like you are taking the time and $$$ to do it right. You will be flooded with rodents in no time at all

Do you have your racks designed yet??

How are you going to finished the floor??

Thanks

Tim, my jaw just hit the floor. That is awesome!

What kind of flooring are you going to put in? Any drains in the floor? I so wish I had those two vents fans in my garage!

Keep the pics coming.

Alice

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 618 Posts

There are no drains in the floor. I thought about it after I poured the slab(a little late I think). However, I water, and will continue to do so, with 3 gallon buckets. I thought of hooking a water line strsight to the racks, but decided that I didn't like the potential for a flood to keep flooding because of a continuous flow of water. With the 3 gallon buckets, after a tub is full, there is very little water left to run on the floor, if any. As far as flooring goes, I will use the same thing that I put in my other rodent room and snake room, solid roll vinyl flooring. I like it because it is cheap, easy to install, and therefore easily replacable every few years if necessary. Let me know if you all have any more questions. And Chris, I'll be using the same design for my rat racks that I have been using. (By the way, the DIY Rat Rack page should be coming to my website shortly after the room is finished, as I'll be building about 5 more) Also, we are probably going to be adding one of the ARS Rodent racks in March. I'll post pics of it when we get it, and let you know what we think of it.
    Tim Bailey
    (A.K.A. MBM or Art Pimp)
    www.baileyreptiles.com
    The Blog