Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 489

0 members and 489 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

help with weanling

I bought some feeder rats for my snakes, and due to a feeding accident I have decided to quit feeding live prey. A lone weanling rat was left after I decided to quit feeding live and I want her to survive. I don't know much about rearing rats so maybe some of you can help. She is pretty small, about the size of a medium mouse. Shes got fur and gets around just fine, but I don't know if shes expecting mom's nipple. She seems to lick my hands a lot when I hold her.

Shes in a critter keeper that seems to be about 3-4 gallons. I put her on some leftover aspen and cut up a paper towel tube for her to play in. I don't have an extra water bottle so i filled a shallow glass dish with water for her for now. She hasn't had any water since I bought her at the reptile show, and there were not water bottles in their holding pen. I tried to syringe feed her some water but I couldn't seem to get her to take more than a drop. I put a piece of carrot in there and she ate some of it. We have guinea pigs and I was wondering if she can have some of their pellets until i can get some lab block. How long will she be able to stay in this small enclosure? And what am I going to do with her, I feel that she has been save from a fate of snakefood and has been chosen to live for a reason. Thanks in advance for your advice/comments.

Jared
    1.0 Normal - Hatched 8/05 (Charlie) Avatar pic (1365g)
    0.1 Bearded Dragon - Lemon Pastel (Daisy)

Thanks

Re: help with weanling

she can have the guinea pig food for now, but it would be best to get her on some mazuri lab block if possible. it can usually be found in pet stores in small bags or at feed stores in 50 pound bags and is lower in corn than most other feeds. they will drink out of a small cup, i used to keep rats and mice in tubs and that is how they got water. i do not suggest carrots unless you like the smell of rat urine. veggies and fruits will cause them to urinate more and more often because of the high water content, so stick to low water foods.
    lots of snakes

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tmlowe5704
    . i do not suggest carrots unless you like the smell of rat urine. veggies and fruits will cause them to urinate more and more often because of the high water content, so stick to low water foods.
    I did not know this, my 2 girls get a cup of fresh veggies and fruit every night. I never notice a urine smell but then I change out their bedding every week.
    -Lisa
    1.0.0 bp Zeke, 2.0.0 chihuahuas- Paco and Peanut, 2.0.0 cresties Chomper and Harley, 0.2.0 rat Snow and Baby 0.2.0 cats-Billie and Bell, 0.1.0 rose tarantula-Rosie,0.1.0 Leopard Gecko-Pebbles, RIP Speedy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ZEKESMOM
    I did not know this, my 2 girls get a cup of fresh veggies and fruit every night. I never notice a urine smell but then I change out their bedding every week.
    If I was wrong, I take it back, but I read in a thread earlier someone mentioned when they started giving fresh celery I think it was, urine increased.
    lots of snakes

Thanks

Ok, I'll give her some guinea pig pellets for tonight. I will be able to get to the pet store tomorrow for some lab block. SHould I buy the brand stuff, its probably kaytee, or should i get the bulk stuff? What shoulld I look for in the ingrediants? BTW thanks for the replies!
    1.0 Normal - Hatched 8/05 (Charlie) Avatar pic (1365g)
    0.1 Bearded Dragon - Lemon Pastel (Daisy)

Thanks

since you only want to feed one rat, just get the small bags of it. it will last a little bit.
    lots of snakes

Thanks
    Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,363 Posts
    Blog Entries

get the mazuri brand lab blocks. i think they sell them in about a 5lb bag at petsmart. definitely get her a water bottle too--much neater/cleaner, etc. fresh veggies are great for rodents, but do not give them lettuce (too watery so it causes diarrhea) or citrus fruits. they can also eat a huge variety of left overs and other food items--see becky's rat food mix (stickied at the top of this forum) for ideas.

provide empty paper towel or toilet paper tubes for hides/something to chew. all my rats have the igloo things you can get at petsmart to hide in, although they like to flip them over and sleep in them upside down. i also give them empty boxes from granola bars, microwave dinners, etc.

if you decide to keep her, keep in mind that rats are social creatures and really don't like to be kept alone. a friend of the same sex will be greatly appreciated.
    - Emily

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ZEKESMOM
    FRESH fruits and veggies are (almost) always a good idea...more like what they've eaten for eons. There are some foods that WE eat that aren't recommended for rats. One of the rat sites said to keep away from the citrus. Things like oranges, avocado and strawberries aren't good. Celery and lettuce will make runny stools, but carrots, beans, peas, we give ours cooked spaghetti (they won't eat the uncooked ). They wuuuuuuuv scrambled eggs, (a LITTLE bit) of broccoli. Most anything leftovers, we give some to the ratties.
    Sweety314
    Fantabulous Daughter, Robin 21 Snakes & counting...Rosie, LTR, corns, Kenyan SB, RTBs, balls of var. morphs/norms; purple albino retic 2 horses, 4 cats, rat mommies, rat daddies and rat babies (mmmm, food!), In Loving Memory: Peekaboo, Goober, Scabbers, Happy (thx 4 35 years), Stripe, Baby, Snoopy, Smudge, Stewie-- You will be missed! Steve Irwin 2/2/62 to 9/4/06

Thanks

Buy just a small amount of the bulk. One LITTLE weanling won't eat much. You don't want or need a great big bag getting stale, or creepy crawlies before it gets eaten....and it will if left long enough. Oh, and if you have cats, MINE dug into the bag and would chew on the blocks. WTH?!?
    Sweety314
    Fantabulous Daughter, Robin 21 Snakes & counting...Rosie, LTR, corns, Kenyan SB, RTBs, balls of var. morphs/norms; purple albino retic 2 horses, 4 cats, rat mommies, rat daddies and rat babies (mmmm, food!), In Loving Memory: Peekaboo, Goober, Scabbers, Happy (thx 4 35 years), Stripe, Baby, Snoopy, Smudge, Stewie-- You will be missed! Steve Irwin 2/2/62 to 9/4/06

Thanks

Jared if you can't keep her and need to rehome her let me know. If you aren't too far away from Toledo we could give her a home here in our colony as a future breeder. As you know we don't feed off our breeders and give them names and so forth, so she'd be fine here. Alternately if you want to keep her you're also welcome to pick a nice female weanling from my group as a companion for her. Rats are such social creatures they just don't do well living alone.
    ~~Joanna~~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast