Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,007

1 members and 1,006 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Not breeding - but I think I felt follicles!

So, after talking with Becky one evening, follicles came up in the discussion, and I had mentioned to her that I was a little embarassed that when I went to Justin's and he tried to show me how to feel follicles, I honestly couldn't feel anything.

She gave me a tip to use a small dish towel or similar type fabric (pillow case, t-shirt) and how to hold my hand. The idea of the cloth is to allow the snake to move more smoothly through your hands (which was good for me, and as I get more experience will try to wean myself of it). Well, I had Pandora out, admiring her size (she's about 1400 grams now - I'm pretty darn proud having raised her from a baby) and figured, what the heck, I need to start practicing for the 2007/2008 season when I hope she'll be up to weight - if not, we'll wait another season.

Anywhooo, she told me that she'd go through smoothly, then in the back 1/3, if there were follicles, I'd feel "bump, bump" and it would feel like little marbles. Darned if she wasn't right! So, Ms. Pandora is producing follicles!!!!! Woo Hooo! I felt them, I felt them! (though I didn't try to count them this time).

I know, I know - I still get excited over firsts!

Thanks

Re: Not breeding - but I think I felt follicles!

Yay! Glad that method worked for you It's so much easier using the small snakebag or pillowcase, and the snakes relax more.
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks
    Thanked 1,370 Times in 943 Posts

I'm not familiar with the cloth thing, how does it work?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

The towel/t-shirt/pillowcase - whatever you use, reduces the friction of the snake as it goes through your hand, so it made it very easy for me to feel the difference in it going through my hand smoothly, then to feel the bump, bump, bump feel and noticeable small marble size of those "bumps" (several times) in the back 1/3 of the length of her belly.

I cupped my hand in a "C" shape, with the thumb on her back and the other fingers together putting steady pressure on her belly, with the t-shirt (in my case) between my hand and the snake. I placed her head into her tub, and as she made her way into the tub, I just let her slide through my hand, paying attention to the differences.

Ralph Davis has a pictorial of how he does it (without the aid of the "cloth trick" that I used) here (oh, I did feel the gas bubbles too that Ralph refers to). Basically - exactly how Ralph instructs, the only difference is using cloth to reduce friction, somehow made it easier for me to feel the "string of pearls" that Ralph describes:

http://www.ralphdavisreptiles.com/ma.../palpating.asp

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I've been tryin and I still don't feel anything I'll give it another month

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts

Mature females ALWAYS have follicles, most of the time they just aren't big enough to feel.

The cloth thing is how I started paling 8 or 9 years ago ... I was told to start with a paper towel under the snakes belly until I got the "feel" for it.

When I started, I mixed up "stuff" in the digestive tract and follicles all the time ... once you "know" you've gotten follicles the difference is unmistakable, but for a lot of beginners, it's easy to confuse the two.

ROCK ON Robin!

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

Thanks

ohhhh now I have to go feel Scarlett!

*edit* YUP I felt them!!!
    Last edited by joyful girl; 01-11-2007 at 02:09 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rabernet
    time).

I know, I know - I still get excited over firsts!

Dont we all Heehee. Congrats. lol

Thanks

Awesome! This is something I am learning about now also; last night I checked Bela out, and I could distinctly feel them.. it was kind of like "oh! there they are!" popped into my head..
    Maybe it's me, but it seems like mature females get a certain "look" to them, like their lower half is flatter and wider.. I have never noticed this on my full-grown male nor the males of friends or other breeders.. but when I look at Ginger, Bela, and Jenny here (two have been bred, one is to be bred soon) I see it..
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.