Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 457

1 members and 456 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Noel is not feeling well

One of my new blue hoodeds is more sneezy (and starting to sound congested) than I prefer, and it's clear she's not feeling well. We're off to the vet now - wish us well. I will mention to him that I have others, perhaps he'll prescribe some extra antibiotic as preventative measures for the others (who knock on wood are not sneezy).

Ironic that it's been 14 days (exactly the length of the health guarantee by PetSmart) since I purchased her.

I adore her, so if she can be helped, it's worth it to me to take her in and get her treated. If he thinks she's in full blown myco, I may have her put down.

Updates later.

Thanks

Re: Noel is not feeling well

Aww, got my fingers crossed for you and your ratties Robin.

Thanks

I sure hope that Noel can be fixed up with some meds. I know how excited you were to find her. Let us know how the vet visit goes.
    Christie
    Reptile Geek

Cause when push comes to shove you taste what you're made of
    You might bend, till you break cause its all you can take
    On your knees you look up decide you've had enough
    You get mad you get strong wipe your hands shake it off
    Then you Stand

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Well, he had an emergency come in, so we got seen an hour after our appointment. Both of them are on doxycycline, Noel on .075 cc 2 x a day, and Holly on .10 cc 2 x a day orally for 21 days. Smells sweet, and they did ok taking their first dose with me when I got home - only the numbers have come right off the syringe!!! GAH! I know that .10 cc is a little less than the size of the plunger, so I may stop by the pharmacy tomorrow to see if I can pick up some more.

I asked him, did he think she should be put down with her congestion, and he said "NO! I don't ever like to see a good rat put down, and I think you caught it time". I asked if we should preventatively treat the others and he said he doesn't like to treat with no symptoms. Holly's being treated because she's slightly sneezy and shares quarters with Noel.

We also talked about snakes (he insists on me bringing Winston in for him to admire when he arrives), and he was amazed that none of my guys fast. He had one ball python when he was in college that fasted, and most of his clients' major complaints are of fasting. We both moaned and groaned about the pet store where we buy feeders, and he understood why I'm breeding my own - it's the only place locally that sells chinchilla food for his chin, so he has to go there too.

So then we discussed that there would come a day when breeders would have to be humanely euthanized as they neared the end of their lives, or if they developed cancer and he told me that he wouldn't charge me anything to do so.

I love this vet - he never charges me an office visit for the wellness exams I take all my new CH aquisitions to, and he charged me $15 to see both rats (rather than their normal $50 - which I was prepared to pay today) and $8 for the medicine. There's lots of it, so I might have to consult Ms. Becky on recommended dosages if any of the other kids get sneezy.

Both girls are settled in and enjoying some of their dinner right now.

Thanks

oh good! i'm so glad things went well, and you have a good vet.

Thanks

She sounds like an easy fix. I've had some so bad off they were open-mouth breathing, had pneumonia, and I still brought 'em back.

I'd be wary of just using the doxy, as it doesn't have good effects on the myco bacteria(suppressing it). If they don't show improvement within 1-2 days, I would recommend adding some Baytril with the doxy. Baytril/Doxy is a good combo and will knock out most infections.

Just watch them and if they don't get any better soon, take them back and he should prescribe Baytril. It's the best possible thing for fighting myco-based infections.
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks

I'm glad to hear they have an excellent chance for recovery.

Thanks

That's good news, and the vet is absolutely TO DIE FOR! You lucky girl.
    Christie
    Reptile Geek

Cause when push comes to shove you taste what you're made of
    You might bend, till you break cause its all you can take
    On your knees you look up decide you've had enough
    You get mad you get strong wipe your hands shake it off
    Then you Stand

Thanks

Oh excellent news Robin! We should all be so blessed to have a great vet like you do hon. Hope the ratties are all feeling better soon!
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks
    Blog Entries

So, Noel has not been making much improvement after 2 days of doxycillan, so I called Dr. C today and told him she was coughing more and almost acting drunk when she walked, which really concerned me. He has added Baytril to her treatment in conjunction with the doxy. She's getting .5 cc of Baytril and .075 cc of doxy twice a day. Holly's getting it too, but she just has the occassional snuffle here and there and much stronger than Noel.

I'm hoping to see some improvement, she's really a sweetie, but my gosh - trying to get a squirming rat to take .50 cc of medicine is not fun! And you can't just shoot it all down her throat, since they don't have a gag reflex and I don't want to choke her.

I'll let you guys know how she does!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast