Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 899

0 members and 899 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Spiders????

Thanks

Re: Spiders????

Quote Originally Posted by Freakie_frog
    I am with Adam I couldn't spend 4500 on a pied so if someone had one at say 2500 or even 1500 yea I be all ove it. I think to some who you got it from is just as important as what the animal looks like. Braging rights basicly. You say oh thats a spider from some dude at an expo and people will go oh its pretty, and never know the differance. To someone like Me and Cue and Tim and some others we get a kick out of saying thats an 8Ball, or I got that one streight for Sean at EBN or Mark Janaus (sp) hand picked that one for me. Now thats not to say that I wouldn't walk by a booth of some unknown and not find something I like. Its all in what you want if you just want a spider or a mojave and don't care about the breeder name then cool more power to you. I have a couple like that. Its all in what you want.
    It should always be about what you want and what you like...
    I myself have never bragged about "who" I bought from... Now if I was walking past booths say Greg Graziani, 8ball, RDR... and I saw an animal I liked... and then I saw some guy with only a couple of tables and a fraction of the animals but he had a stunning spider just as beautiful as any that the others had...but cheaper... I'd still opt for it. To me a Ball Python is a Ball python... Whether it's a RDR or a Graziani... Now of course I'm new to the whole show circuit but I've seen a few unknown or smaller known breeders with animals just as beautiful as the "big guy's"...

Now the question here is this... Everyone's talking about buying from the big breeders... What about the guy on BP.net who has been keeping ball pythons for a few years decides to take on breeding (alot of 'em on here including myself) produces some clutches and decides to put "them" on the market... He prices a little bit lower than the big guys but offers great customer service, has healthy & very beautiful animals keeps track of all of their records; weight, feeding, sheds & ect,... Are you going to not purchase from him because his price is lower? Does that automatically make his animals lower quality?

The fact is... Not everyone buying morphs are breeders, though alot are or have the intent to. Alot of the people that post about a low price aren't really bragging either... It's more so excitement and happiness and the fact that they want to share that. Alot of people are cool with it, the others that see these snakes as $$$ (investment/business) it's a nightmare...

Adam made a comment that "I say good for the people that get the deals! ... They have a right to brag! "

I'd say it's more happiness but ok...

Then he writes: Would you really feel good about a "het" that someone needed to move so badly that they dropped the price at least a thousand dollars below market value?

Well I myself and I'm sure most of everybody on here probably would...why shouldn't you? If you got a good deal and paid below the rest, if you actually paid below market value (I mean who is to say what is market value?). Here you have some saying $750 is market for Spiders and others saying $1000!! Why would you feel bad about it? If I needed $$$ and decided to sell my Pied (say I had one) for $1000, why should you feel bad about buying it?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Wysocki
    The more you buy from pros like Sean and Mark, the more you don't even want to bother with the flippers at the shows ...

-adam
    What about the flippers at the show that are members on BP.net and aren't as big as Sean and Mark but offer just as nice and healthy animals but offer a slightly lower price due to lack of recognition?... Just a thought... Of course I like to root for the underdog though...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Wysocki
    Anyone can guarantee anything is a het ... LOL

-adam
    Sure they can, but if the person has a great rep on the BOI and has a history of selling hets with no negative feedback I'd probably take the chance...
    Last edited by djslurp1200; 01-08-2007 at 04:20 PM.

Thanks

Look at it like this...

Breeder "A" has taxes to pay, large warehouse, employees, insurance, etc. etc. etc to support as well as his personal household. He sells morph X for $1000 in order to clear $400.

Breeder "B", has a couple of snakes as cool pets. Has no overhead, pays no taxes, very little in feed, no employees, has a day job that pays the bills. Down the road he decides to breed his 2-3 pairs of snakes for some extra cash (no full time business in mind and could not care less about being a career breeder). He has a clutch of morph X and decides to price them at $500 for which he will make some extra bucks simply go on vacation and maybe buy some more cool snakes.

Both have great snakes for sale and both stand behind their snakes!
    Question? Why is breeder B automatically made out to be a price dumper, crook, scammer? Doesn't he have the right to sell his snakes for whatever he feels happy with? If he is happy with $500, why should anyone see that as wrong? Why should anyone see a customer who buys from this breeder as wrong? Who is to say that his snakes are not worth $500 and not $1000?

Thanks

Here's the sad thing...

Everyone in this hobby is supposed to be in it for the love of the snakes 1st, not some investment or business project! That's the difference between a career breeder and a hobbyist, they need snake $$$ to live!! We need snake $$$ to buy more snakes and enjoy ourselves!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by djslurp1200
    Here's the sad thing...

Everyone in this hobby is supposed to be in it for the love of the snakes 1st, not some investment or business project! That's the difference between a career breeder and a hobbyist, they need snake $$$ to live!! We need snake $$$ to buy more snakes and enjoy ourselves!

Thanks

Hey Adam weren't you one of those flippers at one time?

We all have to start off somewhere...

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries

Now the question here is this... Everyone's talking about buying from the big breeders... What about the guy on BP.net who has been keeping ball pythons for a few years decides to take on breeding (alot of 'em on here including myself) produces some clutches and decides to put "them" on the market... He prices a little bit lower than the big guys but offers great customer service, has healthy & very beautiful animals keeps track of all of their records; weight, feeding, sheds & ect,... Are you going to not purchase from him because his price is lower? Does that automatically make his animals lower quality?
    I am in this group. This is me to a tee.

I got my het from Daniel Hill Reptiles and my banded female from Ed Clark. I love buying from smaller breeders. If a hobbiest breeder from here has something I like I'd jump on it in a heartbeat. I am hoping when I produce some clutches that people will trust me enough to buy mine.
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Freakie_frog
    I am in this group. This is me to a tee.

I got my het from Daniel Hill Reptiles and my banded female from Ed Clark. I love buying from smaller breeders. If a hobbiest breeder from here has something I like I'd jump on it in a heartbeat. I am hoping when I produce some clutches that people will trust me enough to buy mine.
    Great post!
    Ed, I'm the same way, I love to root for the underdog...the smaller breeders or hobbyists...when you produce some clutches I would love to check out what hatches and if you have something that I like or catches my eye I don't see what would be stopping me from buying from you...

Thanks

Sure they can, but if the person has a great rep on the BOI and has a history of selling hets with no negative feedback I'd probably take the chance...
    Top Shelf Exotics had the #1 reputation on Fauna Classifieds.

We all know how that story ended.

Fauna is the smelly armpit of the reptile trade.
    -Brad

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast