Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,467

0 members and 3,467 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Wild Caught or Captive Hatched?

Just wondering how many people own wild caught or captive hatched Ball Pythons? I have considered captive hatched. My local pet store can get adult female wild caughts or 06 captive hatched for $65. I also know I can get captive born and raised for the same price. But just wondering what everyone thinks and owns.
    Thanks
    Trey

Thanks

Re: Wild Caught or Captive Hatched?

if you have the option go for the captive bred

Thanks

I'd buy a captive hatch. Generally I'd think the wild caught ones would be more prone to stress.

Thanks

I have a WC subadult female that hasn't eaten for me yet...

And out of 4 CH babies, all had health problems and only one survived. I know a lot of people have success with CH, but this year I did not.

Whichever you decide to get, make sure you know you are getting them from a good source.
    -Diana

Support Captive Breeders
    http://www.lunarboids.com

Thanks

You'll probably have more problems with wild caught. Being imprint feeders, the wild caught snakes are usually difficult to get to feed on the types of rodents that you'll find at a pet store or frozen rodent provider. Unless you have a supply of their natural food source, you might be in for a long fast.

Usually people that are in a hurry to breed will purchase WC snakes so they can pump out whichever morph they want to produce. However, many people have had success getting them to eat with soft-furred rats from Africa which are getting more popular, but plan on breeding them yourself.

CH snakes are a better alternative, although many of them will still have the same problems as WC ones such as parasites, mites, ticks, etc. Many of them have never eaten before, which may be a good and bad thing depending on how soon you get them.

CB snakes are usually much healthier and established, so they would be your best bet if you were looking for a healthy pet.

-Lawrence

Thanks

There are plenty of captive bred animals available on top of the other benefits already mentioned. However at what point does the inbreeding go to deep? I think this is one of those debates that could go on forever.

That said, I find myself looking for captive bred animals more often than not...but that doesn't mean I don't look at the WC and CH.
    www.ASFRats.info African soft-furred rats information and exchange.

www.WarrenReptiles.com
    Website Hosting available see site for details

Thanks

I bought 20 CH 06 females in May 06....All have been thriving for me. They all eat weekly and are all in the 450+g range now.....(I'm growing them slow and steady...)

I have only heard horror stories about WC adults.
    I also have a bunch of CB BP's. They are all thriving also.
    Bascially if you get your CH or CB from a reliable source, they should do well for you.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

In my collection, I have 10 CH babies that were well started by dealers that I trust and would buy from again. All are thriving and all are parasite free. My first ball python (would make 11 in my collection) is also CH, but he did have internal parasites which were diagnosed after he regurged his first meal with me. That was before I was BOI savy and that company has since gone out of business.

Joanna has an additional four that I purchased that were CH and have since sold to her from the same trusted sources that are thriving for her.

The key is to buy from someone who has a reputation for getting CH babies well started, who get in the very first imports of the season (tend to be hardier and healthier) and who won't sell you one until they've had three or four successful feeds.

Edit: My avatar is one of my CH girls - J-Lo. Oh - and hey neighbor! Just noticed you're in Marietta too!

Thanks

I have never even thought about getting a wild caught till I started looking into expanding my collect. I never knew there were so many. The more research I do the more people I find that have them. I am currently in the market for a few femals. There are so many people with snakes for sale. I don't know who to trust. Plus the Atlanta show is only two weeks away. I am trying to hold off to see what they have but it is really hard.

Has anyone done business with Ball Room Pythons?

Hey Rabernet. Since you live in Marietta, where do you get your rats from? I have been getting mine from Animal Atlanta. There prices change with who ever rings up my order. One guy is $25 the other is $30. Would you mind sharing who your dealer is?
    Trey

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Trey, Animal Atlanta charges by the size. So one guy might ring them up as smalls and the other as mediums (or large). You have to stay on top of them. I was getting rats from them, I've just started producing my own, because I don't like how they keep their rats. I still buy mice from them, but I hate paying $1.65 for them (but have no interest in breeding mice).

I don't feed anything larger than a small rat ($2.99). I've just started producing them, so I don't have any extra, but if I start to produce more, you're more than welcome to get some from me (a buck each).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast