Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 651

0 members and 651 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Litter size vs. coat colour in rats?

Are some colours more prolific than others?

This is unrelated to specific strains; just talking about your generic undocumented feeder rats.
    ~Jess
    Balls: 2.10 normal, 1.0 pastel, 2.2 het albino, 1.0 50% het pied, 1.2 poss. axanthic, 1.0 pinstripe, 1.0 black pastel,
    Misc. snakes: 1.1 blood python, 1.0 Tarahumara Mountain kingsnake, 0.1 RTB
    0.0.1 Red-eyed casque-headed skink
    1.2 dogs (Lab, Catahoula, Papillon-X), 6.1 cats, 1.0 foster dog
    6.4.8 ASFs
    1.0 Very Patient Boyfriend

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Litter size vs. coat colour in rats?

I don't have a huge group to get examples from, but my blue self had 13 babies and my black hooded had 10.

I think that weight of the mommy is important to size of litter - I didn't breed either one of them until they were over 250 grams.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Back when I first started breeding rats and didn't know to buy high quality food I feed some cheap stuff and the rats didn't do to well they where malnourished. The litters were small and the pinks all looked like little runts except for the Rex babies they all did extremely well despite the cheap feed. The rex gene seems to make for a very robus rat that tends to throw large litters. Maybe there other factors duno, Just my 2 cents

Ever since then I've feed Mazuri and the avg litter is in the high teens with some in the twenties. When the girls are in their prime.

BPnet Veteran Pork Chops N' Corn Bread's Avatar
    Thanks

My brown rex(not sure on exact name) only have 6 or 7 babies her first litter, my black hooded rex had 13 her first litter and my Black rex with some white on her belly and I think chest had 16 her first litter but unfortunately she had a prolapse and I had to gas her....These were all rexes from my hairless females(I know bad to breed) first litter of only 3 babies that survived. These females were both bred at just under 200 grams and all had pretty good size litters.
    ~Jake~
    Too many boas to list and a few balls as well

Thanks

i think the biggest factor i've noticed in size and health of litters is proper feeding , and proper maintenence . having said that , i do think the rex rats on average produce slightly larger litters . my dumbos average about 11 or 12 per litter while my rex females will give me 13 or 14 . in another year i'll have hopefully bred some blues a few times to see how they compare .
    Mark

reborn herper
    0.4 ball pythons
    1.1 pastel ball pythons
    1.0 het orange hypo ball pythons
    0.1 bci
    0.0.4 paulsoni
    0.1 coastal rosy boa
    1.1 mexican rosy boas
    1.0.1 kenyen sand boas
    0.0.4 house geckos

Banned
    Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Litter size vs. coat colour in rats?

I have to agree with Larry on this, I switched from dog food to mazuri about 1 1/2 years ago and alot of the litters are in the high teens and some into the twenties. I picked up 20 females that were brown wild type looking rats from a friends closed colony, these brown rats are soo prolific and are throwing all kinds of colors.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Suttles
    Back when I first started breeding rats and didn't know to buy high quality food I feed some cheap stuff and the rats didn't do to well they where malnourished. The litters were small and the pinks all looked like little runts except for the Rex babies they all did extremely well despite the cheap feed. The rex gene seems to make for a very robus rat that tends to throw large litters. Maybe there other factors duno, Just my 2 cents

Ever since then I've feed Mazuri and the avg litter is in the high teens with some in the twenties. When the girls are in their prime.

Thanks

I don't see a real pattern in our colony at all. I think it's more about the female rat being of proper age, body weight, good condition and fed very well before breeding and during pregnancy that more likely directly affects her ability to produce large, healthy litters. Also genetics of course. I always keep back a daughter or two from any breeder female that consistently produces big vibrant litters that grow into top feeders.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

something else i do that seems to make a difference is this . i seperate the prego mothers form the rest of the breeding colony to give birth and raise her young . then once the babies have been weened i give the mother another week or two alone to build up a bit before putting her back with a male . i think it allows the females to regain some weight and makes sure she has a short break before getting prego again . if you leave them in the breeding group , they can become pregnent again within 3 or 4 days of giving birth . IMHO not a good thing to have them continuously pregnent .
    Mark

reborn herper
    0.4 ball pythons
    1.1 pastel ball pythons
    1.0 het orange hypo ball pythons
    0.1 bci
    0.0.4 paulsoni
    0.1 coastal rosy boa
    1.1 mexican rosy boas
    1.0.1 kenyen sand boas
    0.0.4 house geckos

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by markface
    something else i do that seems to make a difference is this . i seperate the prego mothers form the rest of the breeding colony to give birth and raise her young . then once the babies have been weened i give the mother another week or two alone to build up a bit before putting her back with a male . i think it allows the females to regain some weight and makes sure she has a short break before getting prego again . if you leave them in the breeding group , they can become pregnent again within 3 or 4 days of giving birth . IMHO not a good thing to have them continuously pregnent .
    Sounds very similar to what we do with our adult female breeder rats.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by frankykeno
    Sounds very similar to what we do with our adult female breeder rats.
    I know a lot of people will say they leave their females with the 1.2 or 1.4 or whatever and let them raise them up, but that never works for me... if I pull the mother and let her give birth by herself I average having 12-14 pinks left at the end of the week.... if I leave a mother in, i will be surprised to find more than 8-10 on average, and not as plump and healthy as the mothers I pull.

I find 2 mothers together sometimes works, but in with the males and more than 1 extra female always hurts my production
    bryan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast