Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 898

1 members and 897 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2

Thread: Question.

Thanks

Question.

I've been told that i can keep 2 ball pythons in a cage but if i put a 1000 gram female and 213 gram male in a 90 gallon ( i havent yet but wondering )
    and raised the young male with the female until its big enough to breed along with the female (still in the same 90 gallon cage that whole time) would they breed? Thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts

Re: Question.

Quote Originally Posted by P00NIS
    I've been told that i can keep 2 ball pythons in a cage
    You sure can ... but it's one of the worst thing you can do for the two snakes.

and raised the young male with the female until its big enough to breed along with the female (still in the same 90 gallon cage that whole time) would they breed? Thanks.
    They might at some point, but not predictably or reliably.

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

Thanks

A 90 gallon cage is HUGE for one Bp, even for two.

Housing them together isn't a good thing. Many problems can arise, like if one gets sick the other gets sick, premature breeding which can be extrememely detrimental to both of the snakes. I am not sure about this but I assume its possible but maybe cannabalism?

Going back to the cage size you could get a really good cage divider and put one one each side of the tank. I would make sure that its blacked out. But That could be a possibilty when they smaller one is older. But even if you were to house the two together now it would stress them both out, especially the baby being in such a huge enclosure.
    Kristina Rogers
    http://www.myspace.com/kristinarogers
    1.0 Ball Python
    1.1 Crested Geckos
    1.0 Pastel BCI
    0.1 Beardie (Pop Tart)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,370 Times in 943 Posts

BP's are solitary animals. The only time you would put two together is for breeding. They also like smaller enclosures where they would feel more secure.

Thanks

That's what i thought. Ok thanks alot for the response. dont worry i havent done anything bad like that.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

I've been told that i can keep 2 ball pythons in a cage but if i put a 1000 gram female and 213 gram male in a 90 gallon ( i havent yet but wondering )
    the real question is should you? And the answer is NO

Ball pythons are solitary animals and the only time they should be put together is male being introduce to a female during breeding season and during breading season only. Even then this is not a permanent housing situation as the male will only spend 48 to 72 hours at the time with a female (This also require that both are the proper weight)

2 Ball Pythons housed together can create problems such as going of feed, spreading of diseases, parasites, mites.

If one regurgitate how would you know which one did? You are also at risk for serious injuries and sometimes even death.

Bottom line 1 BP =1 Enclosure 2 BP =2 Enclosures so if you cannot afford 2 properly house each snakes individually you should only have one snake.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

I don't support keeping them together, either. What you could do is buy a tank separator or get a nice piece of lumber to put in the middle, then you would have two ~45 gallon tanks(still pretty big.)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sausage
    I don't support keeping them together, either. What you could do is buy a tank separator or get a nice piece of lumber to put in the middle, then you would have two ~45 gallon tanks(still pretty big.)

I was thinking of that idea. The tank is just very tall but it is as big as a 30 gallon if i split it so that may work.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

I would think that size enclosure would be challenging to heat properly, especially if it's tall like you say. Lots of wasted space (the height) since they are naturally ground dwelling. My tallest enclosure is 6 1/2" high (I use tubs and racks).