Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,803

1 members and 2,802 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

are burmese pythons good snakes to breed to make money off of

hi,

i was wondering if burmese pythons were good to breed to make mone off of. right now i have a albino burmese python not sure if its a male or female i am looking to start breed but was wondering if burmese are good pythons to breed and resell

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: are burmese pythons good snakes to breed to make money off of

Moved to appropriate forum.

Thanks

wow. to make money off of? no no no no no. you need to love a snake then breed it. to answer your question , burmese are in very low value now and unless its extremely rare or possible an albino granite(500$) you are far better off breeding ball pythons

ps: albinos are worth basicly nothing as i could go to my local shelter(reptile) and get 10 for basicly free or i could wait till someone gives one to me. you will spend more money on food and caging to actually make money
    jeff

steve,

the man that started it all 5 years ago. thank you for getting me into the wonderful world of herpetoligy.
    you are and will always will be my idol.

Thanks

They can produce a lot of eggs, but the snakes themselves aren't worth a lot currency wise, and it takes a lot of money to cage and feed all those babies until you find buyers for them all.
    -Diana

Support Captive Breeders
    http://www.lunarboids.com

Thanks

As with every snake, you wont make money right at first, maybe not for years and years. You have to pay for food, housing, electrical, and everything else that comes with it.

Burmese Pythons take a few years to get up to breeeding size and that time they will be on rabbits, that will get very exspencive. Burms require a very large enclosure and with 50+ eggs in every clutch you will have to have alot of room, food ,ETC. Snake breeding isn't a grab a male and a female and put them together type of thing, it will take a few years of planing and growing. The money you make from selling the snakes normally has to go back into the snakes, many times you may have to pay more than what you earn.

DO YOUR RESEARCH!!! It helps! I haven't bred snakes before, but this is alot of what I have learned. I am not ttrying to discourage you, but I would really think about this very carfully.

I hope you understand,

Justin

Thanks

Please do not breed more giants. There are enough in shelters and as more and more are introduced each year, that just means more and more will be sold to ignorant people who will not know what to do with a 10 foot snake. Once they get to those sizes, they can be very hard to give away much less sell. If you want to breed large snakes, stick with boas.
    lots of snakes

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tmlowe5704
    Please do not breed more giants. There are enough in shelters and as more and more are introduced each year, that just means more and more will be sold to ignorant people who will not know what to do with a 10 foot snake. Once they get to those sizes, they can be very hard to give away much less sell. If you want to breed large snakes, stick with boas.

I have to agree, and honestly, you just want to breed to breed and make money, doesnt seem like you care for the offspring at all. And if you did you'd look into on big constrictors and in snake reascue and realize there is just too many unwanted Big Snakes and realize the bigger the snake gets the more people say "I cant handle it" and get rid of the snakes.. I agree, stick with snakes that peopel tend to want adn not "give up" as the snake gets bigger, Ball pythons dont get that big, and a child could have one without possible fatalities, unlike bigger snakes.

Thanks

Breed ball pythons instead!

If all you care about is dollars and sense...look at it like this:

Albino Burmese: Free at local shelter
    Albino Ball: $1200-1500 current market price

Any questions?
    -Brad

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries

I think that if your going to breed then you need to first understand the market and the current market curve and depresation(sp). To ask if burmese python are a good snake to make money breeding the answer is yes if you can sell them. Now consider if you breed and have 15 eggs and none sale then what,? house them all or give them up? The burm has lost is hold in the main stream pet trade because of their giant adult size people aren't as willing to buy. Prime example got a guy I know bought a burm. Loves the "little" guy. I asked him what he was going to do when it got to be 8' to 12' and eating rabbits once a week? His answer sell it... LOL LOL LOL. People think that when they get that big they will just sell it and then move on. Not as easy as most people think. And FYI your local Zoo doesn't want it either. I know the reptile curaitor of the Jackson Zoo here in Mississippi he said he get hundreds of emails and calls a year about people wanting to get rid of large constrictors. All things to look at ..

Just my two cents.
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

im guessing that this is your only snake?

what is the size and age of your burmese right now?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast