Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 573

0 members and 573 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Wild vs. Captive Rat... it's ON!

As some of you may know, I live out in a rural area and we frequently have a variety of critters around the house including deer, skunks, raccoons, field mice... and wood rats.

I keep my breeder rats in the garage on a rolling shelf unit. Anyway, I went to check on them a few days ago and as soon as I entered the garage I saw something that made me freeze in my steps. There was blood EVERYWHERE. Smeared all over the rat cages, dripping from the rack, spread all over boxes and the floor. It was like a scene out of Saw... or maybe Saw II. I immediately thought something had managed to get in and made a feast out of all of my breeder rats. Fortunately, that wasn't the case.

Although the cages were covered with blood and even some of the rats had blood on them, not one of them was injured. Apparently a wood rat managed to squeeze under the door and discovered a veritable cornucopia of food for the taking. However, I think he may have underestimated the irritability and fortitude of a captive rat. From what I gather, the wild rat managed to abscond with a significant amount of lab blocks before my breeders had enough. They must have bit him on some pretty vulnerable areas, because I couldn't believe the amount of blood that was spread around. We followed the trail to a corner of the garage where the lab blocks were stashed, but then he must have given up that plan because we found another trail that led outside. He hasn't been seen from since, so I have no idea whether or not he survived. If so, I hope he told his rat friends about his encounter and maybe they'll decide the free food isn't worth it.

P.S. I know this thread is worthless without pictures. I was focused on making sure my rats were okay that I didn't think to take any until after I cleaned everything up.

-Lawrence

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Wild vs. Captive Rat... it's ON!

who needs guard dogs...?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xdeus

P.S. I know this thread is worthless without pictures. I was focused on making sure my rats were okay that I didn't think to take any until after I cleaned everything up.
    You use of imagery bridged the gap. Interesting story!
    ~ 1.0.0 Python regius ~ Wild-type ~
    ~
    1.0.0 Canis familiaris ~ Blue Italian Greyhound ~

~ 0.0.9 Danio rerio~ Wild-type and Glofish

Thanks

Just to keep your captive population safe I'd invest in some good rat traps (like the ones restaurants buy...they are black plastic). Put them against the wall here and there (wild rats run the wall edges first before venturing out from them). These should deal with the wild wood rats sneaking in and stop them before they get to your captive colony. I'd make sure the captive colony's racks are away from the walls too. Also make sure your feed is in big metal garbage type bins that can't be chewed into or emit much smell. That will stop the draw for the wild ones seeking food.

Typical example of rat traps that are used by a lot of restaurants on their outside walls to keep rats from coming in.....(yes even nice restaurants attract unwanted "customers" LOL).....

http://doyourownpestcontrol.com/protecta.htm
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

use PB as bait on the traps. works like a charm!

(i worked in a restaurant that got some of those unwanted guests)
    lots of snakes

Thanks

I would also think of doing a parasite treatment on your captive rats, who knows what that wild rat could pass on to them.
    "Wild" Bill Hicok

Wild Bill's Ball Pythons

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by frankykeno
    Just to keep your captive population safe I'd invest in some good rat traps (like the ones restaurants buy...they are black plastic). Put them against the wall here and there (wild rats run the wall edges first before venturing out from them). These should deal with the wild wood rats sneaking in and stop them before they get to your captive colony. I'd make sure the captive colony's racks are away from the walls too. Also make sure your feed is in big metal garbage type bins that can't be chewed into or emit much smell. That will stop the draw for the wild ones seeking food.
    Thanks, Jo. The rack is in the middle of the garage, and I have my food securely stored in a Rubbermaid-type bin. I know it's not as good as the metal ones, but it seems to work. The wild rat actually got on top of the rat cages and was eating the food from the hopper. That's when my rats apparently attacked the wild one. I have since sealed the door so hopefully no more rats will be able to get in. Just in case, though, I went ahead and picked up some rat traps...

Quote Originally Posted by frankykeno
    I would also think of doing a parasite treatment on your captive rats, who knows what that wild rat could pass on to them.
    Are there very many parasites that can be transmitted via blood? I was more worried about rabies and have been keeping a close eye on them for any symptoms that might show up.

-Lawrence

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigballs
    who needs guard dogs...?

Forget about huard dogs, what about kitties? Ones.. that one care about caged cats but freer unning ratties...?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xdeus
    Are there very many parasites that can be transmitted via blood? I was more worried about rabies and have been keeping a close eye on them for any symptoms that might show up.
    I am not sure, but if he has been around their cages and eating from their food I would say the chances of passing something are rather high.
    "Wild" Bill Hicok

Wild Bill's Ball Pythons

Thanks

Okay how'd you quote me but it's Bill's words???? LOL Well since Bill is a pretty cool guy I'll take that as a compliment (though I'm not Bill, nor a guy...just wanted that real clear okay folks - I'm sure my husband appreciates those facts LOL)
    ~~Joanna~~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast