Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,801

1 members and 2,800 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Cali king regurgitated

My poor little guy regurgitated his food. I've had him for 2weeks. He's about 16 inches. His first meal went fine, he ate and it stayed down, but the second didn't. Both times he had F/T pinky. How long should I wait to feed him again?

Thanks

Re: Cali king regurgitated

I would wait a week to 10 days, as long as he is in healthy shape, it will give him time to build back up his stomach digestive acids. Mine did that too, when he ate right before gong into shed. maybe he is getting ready to do that also. Just keep an eye on him. If his eyes cloud, don't feed him, let him shed first.

Thanks

Okay...

This may sound weird, but I live by it! I had a friend buy f/t pinks for her snake. She got what I called a bad f/t pinkie and the snake... died. The snake was a corn snake that was bred by Cathy Love. It was a great little guy!

So what I now live by now is I buy ALL my snakes food items live, kill them off myself and write the date I got them/killed them. Just so I KNOW that when I killed them, they were all alive and kicking. When you buy a f/t prey item from a pet store you do not know why that or how that thing died. It could have been sick and died and someone could just just thrown it in the freezer, etc.

I'd wait atleast 10 days... maybe even 15 days before trying another feeding. Next time you might want to try a HALF of a pinkie!
    ---=ALLISON=---
    "Not everyone is going to agree or listen to what you say but I have learned to do my best to educate and hope they listen in the long run. Just keep trying to educate. There will be people out there that actually do listen and learn. -Me"

Thanks

If any of mine regurge I skip a week then offer the food again. Offer the smallest pinky you can find.

Kings and other colubrids usually recover from regurges very well.

April
    My art gallery (herp related) http://cerulean-serpent.deviantart.com/

Thanks

Thanks. Otherwise he's doing really well and looking good. I usually always buy live food for my snakes but it's so hard to get live pinkies around here. I will look around this weekend though because I haven't been happy with the feeders at this petstore lately.

BPnet Veteran recycling goddess's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lillyorchid
    Okay...

This may sound weird, but I live by it! I had a friend buy f/t pinks for her snake. She got what I called a bad f/t pinkie and the snake... died. The snake was a corn snake that was bred by Cathy Love. It was a great little guy!

So what I now live by now is I buy ALL my snakes food items live, kill them off myself and write the date I got them/killed them. Just so I KNOW that when I killed them, they were all alive and kicking. When you buy a f/t prey item from a pet store you do not know why that or how that thing died. It could have been sick and died and someone could just just thrown it in the freezer, etc.

I'd wait atleast 10 days... maybe even 15 days before trying another feeding. Next time you might want to try a HALF of a pinkie!
    Allison, no disrespect meant but really... aren't you overreacting just a smidge? if you get food poisening, then will you no longer eat any meat that has been raised and butchered by someone else?

~~~~~~~~~~~

it's important to allow your snake to have no stress after a regurge. so no handling at all. leave it for a minimum of 10 days before attempting to feed again and find the smallest prey item possible. since it's already on pinks i would suggest 1/2 a pink. continue to feed the smaller prey items for another 3 feedings before you bump back up to a pink.

once they regurge... if they regurge again... it's bad news... my corn had some regurging in june/july but he's doing better now.
    in light, Aleesha

You have 1440 minutes a day... how are you going to spend yours?

Banned
    Thanks

Theres always a reason for a regurge, could be too large of a food item, to hot or to cold. or maybe handling to soon after a meal. and the worst thing would be crypto. There are alot of things to consider, check your environmental conditions first. And good luck.

Thanks

He's in 10 gal tank right now, but he has lots of places to hide and burrow because he's on aspen. Temps are 90 on the hot side and 80 on the cool. Do I still need a UTH with those temps, because he doesn't have one right now.

Thanks

Wait for around a week and try again. I've never had a problem with f/t mice/rats, but then again I get mine from a guy who kills them and freezes them himself.

Thanks

Thanks. Otherwise he's doing really well and looking good. I usually always buy live food for my snakes but it's so hard to get live pinkies around here. I will look around this weekend though because I haven't been happy with the feeders at this petstore lately

I am a bit shocked that you live in such a big town as Toronto and there is not one snake-store around. I mean ... I live in the littlest hicka** town in america and we have a snake-store with great variety of mice & rats.

Don't rely on Petco, Petsmart, etc ...

Just look around. There has to be someplace.
    Chris
    1.0 100% Het. for Awesome (Fluffy)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast