Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,218

2 members and 3,216 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dwarf Retics...

Thanks

Dwarf Retics...

Seeing the last few recent threads and the pictures of the beautiful retics I remembered someone telling me about a dwarf retic... What's the "going" price and avg. size of a "normal pattern" dwarf retic?...Male.

Thanks

Re: Dwarf Retics...

How long have you had your balls? Are balls the only species that you have kept? Have you kept any large constrictors? Retics arn't good "2nd snakes". Even dwarfs.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stangs13
    How long have you had your balls? Are balls the only species that you have kept? Have you kept any large constrictors? Retics arn't good "2nd snakes". Even dwarfs.
    Well I've had balls since I was in the 3rd grade...21 now. As far as owning anything else I have had a 3ft yellow rat, 6 1/2ft florida king (mean S.o.b.), corn snake, couple black racers (everything I caught myself except for the corn)...I'm currently starting to look into other snakes though because I have a few ball pythons but now i'm interested in having just one of another kind of snake...
    Either a boa morph or maybe possibly a dwarf retic, but I want to find out a little more about them. I have a friend who has a 6ft and 12ft retic and their very docile so far (although I know their known for being somewhat aggressive and very unpredictable). his have never shown any signs of aggression in his ownership but...I just don't want anything that large...Even if I get a boa i'll be getting a male.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by djslurp1200
    Seeing the last few recent threads and the pictures of the beautiful retics I remembered someone telling me about a dwarf retic... What's the "going" price and avg. size of a "normal pattern" dwarf retic?...Male.
    jamps range from $200 - $600 depending on who you get them from...

kayuadis and kalaotoas are a little higher...

i know somebody right now that has a normal retic and a jamp of approximately the same age, they are feeding them on the same feeding schedule and both snakes are about the same size.

"dwarf" retics are not always the best kind of retic to start with as they can be very high strung and have an extremely savage feeding response when compared to a most normal retics.

if you looking for a starter retic you should get a normal male that has a very nice attitude.... you can easily keep a male well fed and have stay under 15ft.

i know NERD use to have a male jamp that weighed over 60lbs and was well over 12ft long.

hope that helps.
    Reticulatus.Net

Brian Watkins

Thanks

Go with a boa because they tend to be a bit more relaxed. I feel they are good snakes for the beginner to heavy bodies.
    lots of snakes

Thanks

yeah it does thank you, i don't know if I'll get one then... Like I said it's more so of an idea...I'm "wanting" to get another snake but...I'll probably get another ball morph before anything. I just dig the colors and pattern of retics so much. The iridescense of their scales is really amazing, especially right after shed.

Thanks

I don't know a whole lot about dwarf retics but I asked the same question you did on another forum and was told there is no such animal as a dwarf, they told me the dwarf's still reach huge sizes. I don't know how accurate that in info is though. I too have been looking at other species, larger constrictors and have decided to go with a Dumerils boa or a colombian male. Due to the fact that they still get large but not HUGE and are easier to care for when you first get into larger species of constrictors.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tmlowe5704
    Go with a boa because they tend to be a bit more relaxed. I feel they are good snakes for the beginner to heavy bodies.
    Yeah, If I get anything differen't other than another ball morph it will be a boa morph. I like the size range they grow in... They are heavy bodied but aren't 15-20ft long as adults...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kristy
    I too have been looking at other species, larger constrictors and have decided to go with a Dumerils boa or a colombian male. Due to the fact that they still get large but not HUGE and are easier to care for when you first get into larger species of constrictors.
    Yeah, I like the dumerils as well...

Thanks

Yes those Dumerils are Beautiful.

I did find this on Dwarf Retics but the updates stop at Feb. 2006. So i don't know how accurate it would be. But its pretty interesting comparing growth and weight to feeding amounts.
    http://mahn001.tripod.com/id28.html

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast