Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,645

4 members and 2,641 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Worthless Thread

Because there are no pictures, and can be no pictures, because my camera is dead!

But.....some of you know that I was convinced that Mrs. Snuggles, my b/w hooded girl was sterile, because she showed no signs of pregnancy, and Scarlett who was in the same enclosure with Mrs. Snuggles and Caesar, had her babies two weeks ago last night.

Well......Mrs. Snuggles was set up in a maternity tank Tuesday night when I noticed some nesting behavior and a slightly swollen tummy - and Karl calls me today to say that she had her babies last night (I wasn't expecting them until this weekend, so I didn't even peek in on her this morning)! Woo Hoo!!!!

Sadly, some of Scarlett's litter are scheduled to be fed off on Saturday - this is truly the tough part of raising your own feeders, especially with something as cute as rat pups (their eyes are just opening).

Thanks

Re: Worthless Thread

Awww I hope Santa brings you a new digi cam for Xmas Robin! Congrats on your second rat litter. Some females really do hide their pregnancies well. I've had a surprise litter or two myself from a female I was sure hadn't caught as she was only slightly chubby looking.

I know it's tough feeding off the first litter hon. I can only tell you it does get easier over time and repitition. Try to keep in your mind that you really are just an agent in the process of predator meeting prey. They were both put on this earth to do this dance of nature hon, you are just a cog really in that big wheel that's been turning for eons and will do so long after you and I are gone.

Also it helps to know that you are providing through your careful breeding and management of the rats, a very good life for the rats while they exist in your colony and an absolutely top notch food source for your lovely snake collection.

~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Feeding them off is definitely the hardest part. Especially when they are so cute after they open their eyes and start crawling around. I keep trying to figure out reasons to keep a couple more, but I don't have the room for that many rats. (nor would the hubby be happy about it)

Congrats on the second litter. (you're right... we need pics, but we'll forgive you for awhile. )
    Christie
    Reptile Geek

Cause when push comes to shove you taste what you're made of
    You might bend, till you break cause its all you can take
    On your knees you look up decide you've had enough
    You get mad you get strong wipe your hands shake it off
    Then you Stand

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Mrs. Snuggles and Caesar are proud to announce the birth of 10 bouncing baby rats! All have dark eyes, so no albinos.

It's so wild to compare their jelly bean size to their half siblings, children of Scarlett and Caesar who are two weeks old today with eyes just opened!

BPnet Veteran recycling goddess's Avatar
    Thanks

ah it's not totally worthless... after all... we are talking about cute little rattie pups!!!!

my two girls are not showing any signs of pregnancy... which is too bad. hopefully they'll surprise me!
    in light, Aleesha

You have 1440 minutes a day... how are you going to spend yours?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Don't give up hope, they really don't start showing until about two weeks or a little longer into their pregnancy. Mrs. Snuggles had her litter five weeks after being introduced to Caesar, Scarlett took right away!

We have another female, a beige hooded (which is when I discovered my camera was broken) named Foxy, who looks suspiciously pregnant, but we'll see!

Thanks

I was going to buy plain white rats to breed for feeders but SOMEONE (I know you are reading this!) told me to get the cute ones, not the ugly plain white ones... Now I have a bunch of cute little babies that are going to be fed off.... Hmmm... maybe they will be mean rats and I won't feel so bad feeding them off.... Thinking about building another rack and keeping a few more, but then I guess I will be breeding cute to cute making MORE cute ones.... then the next thing you know I'll have like 3000 cute rats....... that's just no good.
    Be good to your family.

Thanks

LOL don't worry dear, after all the cute factor wears off and you are quite happy to see the cute and full snakes and a few less rats to manage believe me. Congrats on another fine litter there Miss Robin the Rat Breeder! Looks like Caesar is doing his work well. See I told you going around pet stores peering at the working end of young male rats would pay off with a good studly one LOL.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Today's feeding day - so, I have to get over this cuteness factor really quickly. We decided not to keep one of Scarlett's sons THIS time, as we still need a few more enclosures. Now Mrs. Snuggles has one that I'm hoping is a girl that has a hood, but rather than a stripe, a cute circle on her back of pattern (keeping in mind they're only 3 days old at this stage, but we can see the patterning - all hoodeds).

Thanks

Congrats Robin! Rats are a lot of fun....

My siamese girl just had her second litter (I was starting to worry that the lightning face was a dud). Ill get some pictures up eventually!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast