Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,974

0 members and 2,974 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

GTP... a few questions!?

I've been dreaming of getting a lovely GTP for a while now, and have been on google quite a lot looking for the best way to take care of one!

I'm kind of concerned about humidity.
    -I've read about an automatic mister but some ppl say they are great and other say they are bad?!?!?
    -I'm also hoping to get a glass tank only because they are more of a snake you watch and not hold. I dont want to put him/her in a tub and not be able to see its beauty. Any suggestion on that?? I do know it is hard to keep humidity in them.

Would anyone suggest I get a snake hook?
    I will get some thick gloves right!?!
    I'm a little nervious about gettin bit but I'm expecting it to happen more then once! Has anyone gotten really hurt from them big teeth?? It pictures they look pretty big and deadly?!?!

Tanks size 2x2x2 good enough for an adult right?? I might even go 3 feet high eh?

I will probably have some more questions later, but for now that all I can think of.

Thanks gang!

Thanks

Re: GTP... a few questions!?

Here is one of the best information sites for GTPs out there IMO. I would take a look through all the info (cage plans, care info, etc.).

http://www.finegtps.com/

Thanks

A glass tank probably wouldn't be bad, but a PVC cage would be better. It's not too difficult to keep the humidity up. I mist mine once a day and adjust the air flow so that it is relatively dry by dusk. I use a small, half gallon pump garden-type sprayer filled with half tap/half distilled water.

As far as agression and big, scary teeth... I think it's blown out of proportion. You're likely to find just as many calm ones as you do bitey ones, although they probably ALL get bitey when the sun comes down. I've handled mine often during the day and have never received so much as a hiss, but she often strikes if I look at her wrong during the night.

My only suggestion would be to keep handling to the very minimum if you get a neonate... for at least a year. Their spines are very fragile and they can kink very easily. A great reference book for GTPs is "The More Complete Chondro" and in it the author mentions that you should treat a neonate as if they are made out of wet paper towels.

-Lawrence

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

a simple spray bottle is enough misting wise. once or twice a day is good and i keep a water bowl in the enclosure at all times.

a snake hook would be a good idea especially if you have one that doesnt like being removed off its branch. you dont really need gloves and bites arent too bad...(from babies...). they will draw blood, unlike a bp.

for an enclosure 3ft by 2ft by 2ft is good for an adult.

well thats my advice...

definitely check out greg maxwell's site!!

Thanks

Yeah I was over at Gregs Site.

I have a friend who is gonna let me read some of his books on them too!

I think I will go for a little hook in any case!

I havent found much info about shedding except for keeping humidity high.
    Would they need a rock??? I know they sit on branches but how do they get the shed started?
    My BP and Corn seem to rub there heads on the rocks to get it started.
    What do the GTP do??

PS - I found a great breeder in central New Brunswick where I live. (proreptiles.com) "his site is down right now", anyway he has some Sorongs coming around February or March for 450 CND. he also said he has others for like 1200 but I don't know what kind they are yet.
    He also sells Boas and stuff like that if anyone is interested.
    I cant wait... I'm so excited! But I think I will not get one for another 6 to 12 months! I dont know know. I dont wanna rush into it!

Thanks

Question...
    I was looking at them cages at http://www.animalplastics.com/ and my buddy was telling me GTPs are super good at escapes.

He told me I should get a lid that slides closed and not one that just snaps on.
    any suggestions?? The cages they are selling look like its a regular door? Kinda swings eh?
    Can anyone share some experiences?

Thanks

I have a similar cage as the AP one, but from Boaphileplastics. The door swings down and has two latches that need to be turned. Unless my GTP grows hands, and then thumbs... I doubt if she'll be getting out of there anytime soon.

As far as shedding, none of my snakes need anything rough to rub up against to get their shed started. They might rub against the substrate or air holes, but I've never seen them and they all have perfect sheds every time. The strange thing about my GTP is that I can never tell when she is about to shed. She doesn't turn blue like my others, nor does her belly turn pink (at least that I can see). The only indication is that she might be a little dull looking.

-Lawrence

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xdeus
    The strange thing about my GTP is that I can never tell when she is about to shed. She doesn't turn blue like my others, nor does her belly turn pink (at least that I can see). The only indication is that she might be a little dull looking.
    lol. I have this same problem with my thayeri. They get a little bit dull and the eyes cloud up just a little bit, but they never get really blue. They also have such darkly patterned bellies that they don't really pink either.
    Check out my gallery! www.schlyne.deviantart.com I am not really active on forums anymore, but I am on facebook.
    Please Click the Dragon eggs/hatchlings!

All of my Dragons can be seen here http://dragcave.ath.cx/user/48959

Thanks

As long as he doesnt get out! I just needed a 2nd opinion!

What about when its a tiny tot. 24x24x36 would be a lil too big for that lil guy eh???
    I'm still looking for cage ideas but, all I'm seeing is rubbermaid stuff... I would like to be able to view it! Even when it's little...
    I'll keep googleing but if you can think of any ideas let me know.

Cheers

Thanks

I'm gonna make my own GTP enclosure.
    Do you think it would be ok to use melamine or fiberboard?
    I'm not sure how I'mm gonna attact the boards together (not much of a handy man) but I think I'll screw them together and them maybe use a caulking substance or soemthing to seal the deal??

any suggestions???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast