Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,159

2 members and 3,157 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Measured Neptune's last shed

Neptune just shed today/last night, a nice long perfect shed. I haven't had a chance to actually measure him in a long time, especially since he's not particularly cooperative, but this shed measured almost exactly 9ft long! He sheds just about every month, and last time we measured a perfect shed of his it was a lot closer to 8ft.

The boy is still growin! I know sheds aren't the most accurate method of measuring, but it helps get an idea. Neptune is a big boy!
    ~Sheree~

Because Snakes are Beautiful!
    http://www.bluegorgon.com/

4.1 snakes so far (Gomez, Falkor, Ma-tsu, Neptune, Irwin)
    2.1 house rabbits (Daphne, Bowie, Unut)
    0.1 Jeweled Lacerta (Dana)
    In loving memory of Cleo
    1989-2007

Thanks

Re: Measured Neptune's last shed

Wow! 9 feet?! That's one hell of a long snake. Whats the max they grow?

Thanks

The biggest beauty I've heard of was around 11 to 12 feet, I think!
    ~Sheree~

In loving memory of Cleo
    1989-2007

Thanks

Sheds are going to measure longer than the actual snake (since the shed stretches, and the folds of the scales unfold)

but still.. 9' is big!

April
    My art gallery (herp related) http://cerulean-serpent.deviantart.com/

Thanks

Oh yeah, I know that it's a bit stretched and inaccurate, but yeah... still! And considering he sheds about every month, and comparing this shed to the last perfect shed I measured is almost a foot in difference... he's growing!

Plus he's being so calm and well behaved too. He just needed some of his own space and to feel safe. Still nervous about being touched, but very calm about my just being near him where he used to strike at everything, poor darling. I couldn't be more glad I got this pair, even though I was intimidated by him at first. The whole experience has been so rewarding... and he needed a different more gentle environment badly.
    ~Sheree~

In loving memory of Cleo
    1989-2007

Thanks

Awww he's coming along so well. Just like our BP Brannagh he just needed a home environment where he as cared for appropriately, handled with care and given the space and quiet he needed to calm down. Good for you two, you've done a wonderful job with all your snakes!
    ~~Joanna~~

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

there's a really nice program here on the site in the downloads section that you can use to measure them. All you have to do is take a picture of them with a ruler or some onbject of known length in the shot. Make sure the snake is flat on the floor and the picture is from directly above. the snake doesnt have to be straight though. You click on both ends of the ruler, then you click and "connect the dots" down the back of the snake. It's a really nice setup. If you decide to try it and need any help feel free to pm me.

Thanks

Thanks Jo! He's actually pretty mad again because I just put him back in with Ma-tsu for breeding last night and he was all cozy in his own pad. Then he went and pooed, and I had to take him in and out and this morning Ma-tsu pooed so AGAIN I had to take him in and out. The Neptune is displeased!

And I have downloaded that program for measuring before, but have never gotten around to trying to use it. Largely because at over 8ft and being very squirmy and curious, it's very very hard to get the pic needed for it. I should try it out with the little snakes for practice though, then try Ma-tsu and eventually try and get a shot of Neptune from above. If I can get the shots, and have trouble figuring it out, I'll be sure to ask you for a hand though, thank you!
    ~Sheree~

In loving memory of Cleo
    1989-2007

Thanks

I have actually handled a blue that was about 11.5 which was the biggest rat snake I have ever seen. He was about a big around as my forearm and gentle as a lamb.

I have seen a Taiwan male that was over 10 but he was hard to handle. I had to use a hook to handle him, real nasty dude but also very beautiful.

More typical is in the 9 foot range. MO's guy with a 9 foot shed is probally about 8 foot 4 to 8 foot 6 based on that shed. I would bet if well fed Neptune will hit 9 easy.

Over all they are long snakes but not big around. Most are about the girth of say a coke can at full maturity. What they are is fast and a 9 footer can raise up 3 feet to check stuff out. They are just one of the coolest of all sankes if I do say so.

I have a pair of Taiwan 05s that are 5 feet in length and growing well. But I have my super steriod popping new boy who was born in June this year. I am tied of thinking of snake names so I named him Tai and he is over 4 feet at only 6 months!

I think he may have the potential to be a 10 footer.

Congrats MO and don't give up and getting that boy of yours to be as nice to you as Matsu is. It takes patience when they are not handled as babies but in time they get petty easy to handle,
    Jack Spirko

Check out "the site" on the African House Snake - and get a free copy of "The Reptile Book", by Raymond L. Ditmars.

Find stuff you won't find ANYWHERE ELSE! Social Networking at HaterOrLoved

Spammers are scum! If I had my way they would all get reincarnated as feeder mice!

Thanks

Oh and MO best way to get a full body shot of a big Asian snake or any snake is get a clear wall, let the snake crawl against it, they tend to stretch out that way and give you a good chance for a full body shot that is easy to measure with the program.

Cept with Neptune it might really be a chore to pick him back up,
    Jack Spirko

Check out "the site" on the African House Snake - and get a free copy of "The Reptile Book", by Raymond L. Ditmars.

Find stuff you won't find ANYWHERE ELSE! Social Networking at HaterOrLoved

Spammers are scum! If I had my way they would all get reincarnated as feeder mice!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast