Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,808

2 members and 2,806 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Feelin' the Blues!

After all of that talk on the boards a while ago about all of those pretty blues I went right out this last month and got two blue females of my own. I believe that they are Russian Blue hoodeds (feel free to correct me)...For now it is just the pair of them, I have to find the right male for them. They are fattening up as we speak, and getting a LOT friendlier....one being much more so than the other.

Right now they are housed in a 40Bdr tank, eventually I plan to build a rack setup for them. When I get the males he will be in a large tub similar to Jo's setup...just have to find two breeder worthy rats. I have an extra 30 breeder that I'll be using for growout.

Here are the lovely ladies! I wish I had shots from when I got them, they've grown considerably, especially since I've switched them to Becky's rat mix, and Mazuri lab blocks.

They are definitely goofy little characters, and absolutely love to shred kraft paper, and roll around in their Oatmeal tube hides. Any suggestions on names?

-Jason
    Jason

Thanks

Re: Feelin' the Blues!

Lucy and Ethel? They're awful cute...=)
    0.1 ball python (Cleo), 0.1 surinam bcc (Carmen)
    1.0 sunglow motley corn (Jenson), 1.0 albino burmese (Lourdes)
    1.0 cat (Nicky), some mooses and ratters, 1.0 hubby (Rick)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

They are adorable! Where did you get them?

Thanks

Very CUTE!!!! Blues are sooo pretty!
    Grey Scale is a good thing...

Thanks

Oh how cute! I'm so jealous! I can't fine an American or Russian Blue rat in the whole city of Toledo let alone any hooded blues! I think yours are Russian Blue Hoodeds as they seem too dark to be American Blues (at least going by that photo) but Becky is our resident color/pattern expert when it comes to the rattie world. I'd pair them with a really nice Black Hooded male personally. Look for one without a blaze face and a good hood and solid spinal stripe. Then breed back his best son to the two moms and you should get a bunch more nicely hooded Blues (blue being recessive as far as I can tell). Blues can carry genetics for megacolon to apparently it's best to avoid breeding them to rats with husky markings, blaze faces and other rats considered high white, just to be on the safe side.

Lucy and Ethel, Romy and Michele (or Lisa and Mira for the actresses from that movie), Thelma and Louise, Etta and Pearl (female blues singers Etta James and Pearl Bailey)...just a few female pairs I could think of off the top of my head.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Link for Russian Blue information....

http://www.afrma.org/russianblue.htm

Link to AFRMA Fancy Rats info on coat patterns and color types (links to dozens of pictures of all sorts of rats).....

http://www.afrma.org/fancyrm.htm
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rabernet
    They are adorable! Where did you get them?
    Thanks Robin! My local petsmart carries them occasionally, these were the two friendliest ones of the group that they had. Luckily I know the pet care manager that works there, I know that she takes really good care of their animals.

-Jason
    Jason

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by frankykeno
    Oh how cute! I'm so jealous! I can't fine an American or Russian Blue rat in the whole city of Toledo let alone any hooded blues! I think yours are Russian Blue Hoodeds as they seem too dark to be American Blues (at least going by that photo) but Becky is our resident color/pattern expert when it comes to the rattie world. I'd pair them with a really nice Black Hooded male personally. Look for one without a blaze face and a good hood and solid spinal stripe. Then breed back his best son to the two moms and you should get a bunch more nicely hooded Blues (blue being recessive as far as I can tell). Blues can carry genetics for megacolon to apparently it's best to avoid breeding them to rats with husky markings, blaze faces and other rats considered high white, just to be on the safe side.

Lucy and Ethel, Romy and Michele (or Lisa and Mira for the actresses from that movie), Thelma and Louise, Etta and Pearl (female blues singers Etta James and Pearl Bailey)...just a few female pairs I could think of off the top of my head.
    Thanks Jo! My best guess when I got them was Russian Blue Hoodeds, and semi confirmed it with the AFRMA link on blues when I got them: http://www.afrma.org/bluerat.htm. The page has pictures of blue hoodeds, but doesn't say if they are Russian blues or not...but like yourself I'd assume they are due to the lighter coloration.

As far as males I'm thinking I would like to find a black self, and a black hooded for studs. I plan on keeping back a male black hooded (het blue) from the first litter to produce blues of my own. And hopefully blue berks eventually by breeding the black self to the blue hooded girls and keeping a male from him to breed back.

They are definitely a lot of fun so far.

-Jason
    Jason

Thanks

very nice girls . i want to get some blues one of these days .
    Mark

reborn herper
    0.4 ball pythons
    1.1 pastel ball pythons
    1.0 het orange hypo ball pythons
    0.1 bci
    0.0.4 paulsoni
    0.1 coastal rosy boa
    1.1 mexican rosy boas
    1.0.1 kenyen sand boas
    0.0.4 house geckos

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JBallPython
    Thanks Robin! My local petsmart carries them occasionally, these were the two friendliest ones of the group that they had. Luckily I know the pet care manager that works there, I know that she takes really good care of their animals.

-Jason
    I got Scarlett, my Russian Blue self from Petsmart, but I never saw any hoodeds. I'll have to keep an eye out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast