Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,278

2 members and 2,276 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Query: One black snake vs. another

So, I currently have rather a lot of ball pythons, and not looking to get another snake anytime soon, but eventually would like to own one of the larger black species. I've been fascinated by Indigos since I read about them in Ranger Rick when I was six or seven. Also used to catch quite a lot of Black Rats, Eastern Kings, and Black Racers growing up in the Appalachian mountains.

From what I understand, Eastern Indigos require permits to keep due to their threatened status in the wild, whereas other species do not, and some get larger than others.

I'd like a big gorgeous shiny black snake that's easy to handle. The banded kings and stuff are pretty in their own right, but I really like the solid black.

So...what are the various species I should be researching? What can I expect for adult sizes, and what would be the approximate price ranges from a reputable breeder?
    ~Jess
    Balls: 2.10 normal, 1.0 pastel, 2.2 het albino, 1.0 50% het pied, 1.2 poss. axanthic, 1.0 pinstripe, 1.0 black pastel,
    Misc. snakes: 1.1 blood python, 1.0 Tarahumara Mountain kingsnake, 0.1 RTB
    0.0.1 Red-eyed casque-headed skink
    1.2 dogs (Lab, Catahoula, Papillon-X), 6.1 cats, 1.0 foster dog
    6.4.8 ASFs
    1.0 Very Patient Boyfriend

Thanks

Re: Query: One black snake vs. another

Black milk snakes are totaly awsome snakes if you are looking for a larger black snake. They avg 6-7' are real easy going animals also. only down side if its take about 1-2 years of there life to turn totaly black they start out banded.
    -Sean
    Mazdaspeed 3, yeah its silly fast!

Thanks

Three words: Mexican Black King. They're completely black and inexpensive. I believe they stay at 3-5 feet like most king snakes, so probably an adult cage size would be between a 32 and 41 quart tub, or between a 20long-30 gallon tank.
    flickr
    Reptiles: 0.1 Colombian BCI

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Python-77
    Black milk snakes are totaly awsome snakes if you are looking for a larger black snake. They avg 6-7' are real easy going animals also. only down side if its take about 1-2 years of there life to turn totaly black they start out banded.
    Ditto that. And the San Antonio Zoo stock animals tend to get bigger & blacker than the Bell line animals. But a FANTASTIC species to keep!!!
    Kara L. Norris
    The Blood Cell - BloodPythons.com
    Selectively-bred bloods & short-tailed pythons
    Quality is our only filter.

Thanks

Thanks for the input.

Mexican Blacks sound perfect, but of course that doesn't eliminate the romance of my long adoration of the Indigo, LOL.

Any experience with Indigos, as far as handleability/calmness? Do they make a decent pet?

Someday I think I'd like to have a big pretty well-lit decorated cage, and of course the balls are totally inappropriate for that. Would any of these species be more inclined to spend more time out of their hides and hanging about decoratively, while still being amenable to being held on a regular basis?
    ~Jess
    Balls: 2.10 normal, 1.0 pastel, 2.2 het albino, 1.0 50% het pied, 1.2 poss. axanthic, 1.0 pinstripe, 1.0 black pastel,
    Misc. snakes: 1.1 blood python, 1.0 Tarahumara Mountain kingsnake, 0.1 RTB
    0.0.1 Red-eyed casque-headed skink
    1.2 dogs (Lab, Catahoula, Papillon-X), 6.1 cats, 1.0 foster dog
    6.4.8 ASFs
    1.0 Very Patient Boyfriend

Thanks

From what I've heard of indigos.. they are quite intelligent as far as snakes go and make very good captive snakes.

I have a mex black king.. they don't get as big as some other kings (3-4' I think is average) but they are solid black and very beautiful. Mine has a face like a little dinosaur. lol

April
    My art gallery (herp related) http://cerulean-serpent.deviantart.com/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast
    Mexican Blacks sound perfect, but of course that doesn't eliminate the romance of my long adoration of the Indigo, LOL.

Any experience with Indigos, as far as handleability/calmness? Do they make a decent pet?
    I have a LOT of admiration for Indigos. They're very intelligent, could probably take on any other N. American snake, and are pretty docile. They shouldn't be kept in a glass cage as they will kill their prey by smacking it around and can break the glass. Also, they're notorious for having explosive, runny, messy, and frequent bowel movements. If it wasn't for that last one, I'd probably consider keeping them.

But speaking of black snakes, I have a pair of Black Milks and couldn't be happier. They're just over a year old and one is about 70% black and the other is about 85% black. Voracious eaters, but they've never so much as hissed at me.

-Lawrence

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

as a display snake my mexican black is awesome! she always sits out in the open or burrows under the aspen, sticking her head out to look around.

she started out as a nervous snake always trying to slither away and musking people but now she loves chilling in in my hand while i do anything around the house...

shes great!

Thanks

The Mexican Blacks are great snakes.

Another to consider is the Black Pine Snake. They are shiny as well, and very pretty.

I have a Black Rat and love her. She doesn't have the SHINE that the Kings and Milks have, but there is just something about her that I love.

Thanks

Oh, and most Kings and Milks max out at 5 ft, and this is not too common. They take several years to reach this length. I have only seen a few that actaully made it over 4 1/2 feet. Most people exagerate the length of their snake, or they are just over estimating.

Pines and Black Rats, however, routinely reach 5 feet or more. Legitimate 6 feet is not all that uncommon for these snakes.

Pines will hiss and puff, but this is generally just a show and usually calm down once outside thier enclosure. However, I would make a snake stick to take them out once they reach 4 feet just to be sure when taking them out.

Black Rats are a gamble. If you routinely handle them, they should grow up quite tame. I have come across a few that were down right nasty, though. Mine is tame as a kitten.

Hope this helps. Any of these will make beautiful pets, though the Black Rat is the least attractive of them (I still love em, though).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast