Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,143

0 members and 3,143 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spotted Python

Thanks

Spotted Python

We're adding another snake to our collection - our local reptile centre where my daughter's doing her work experience has a couple of baby antaresia - a children's and a spotted - my daughter wants the spotted. I've been doing my research and some of the caresheets (what there are of them!) give some wildly different guidelines to temps and humidity. Most suggest a low humidity, while a couple have said they need a humidity of 60-70%. Recommended temps generally seem to run from 75-85, while some say up to 90 and one even said 100 :eek: . I assume a nice viv size (eventually) would be 3x2x2.

The snake is a baby at the moment and my daughter has been handling it while in the shop (and me too the other day) and it seems a calm and nice snake. I found an item somewhere on the net that said they were very nippy and totally evil

Anyone else with Spotteds who can give me any advice I'd be very grateful.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 888 Posts

Re: Spotted Python

Quote Originally Posted by Razaiel
    We're adding another snake to our collection - our local reptile centre where my daughter's doing her work experience has a couple of baby antaresia - a children's and a spotted - my daughter wants the spotted. I've been doing my research and some of the caresheets (what there are of them!) give some wildly different guidelines to temps and humidity. Most suggest a low humidity, while a couple have said they need a humidity of 60-70%. Recommended temps generally seem to run from 75-85, while some say up to 90 and one even said 100 :eek: . I assume a nice viv size (eventually) would be 3x2x2.

The snake is a baby at the moment and my daughter has been handling it while in the shop (and me too the other day) and it seems a calm and nice snake. I found an item somewhere on the net that said they were very nippy and totally evil

Anyone else with Spotteds who can give me any advice I'd be very grateful.
    While i do not have a spotted python but i do have a childrens python i will tell you what i was told.The childrens(spotted also) tend to need the same temps and such as the corn snakes do.I keep my temps at 80 to 85 range just like i do with my corn snakes.I wrote a updated care sheet for the corn snakes for ball-pythons.net and as soon as Judy(moving at this time) gets the time she is going to post it .Is there a chance you can get a pic of this snake? The reason i am asking this is sometimes people(pet stores) get snakes that are not really what they were told they are.Some babies are nippy some are not.My childrens python is as calm as evercan be,Steve(SPJ) has some that are EVIL the same goes for spotted pythons. If you have any questions let me know as i will be happy to help .
    Joe Haggard

Thanks

Thank you, Joe!! You know, BP.net was the first place I thought of looking for a caresheet and couldn't find one - great you've done one

I know what you mean about them getting confused as to what type they are (I read the other post). TBH it doesn't really matter to us, we like this snake anyway (is one to be more desired than the other?) I was going to ask (when I went in and only out of curiosity) if it was a cross at all, though it doesn't matter. I'll take a pic today with my phone - my camera has busted and I can't afford to get a new one - and I can't afford to get it repaired as it would cost more than a new one

Thank you for the help offer - I'm sure I shall take you up on that

Quote Originally Posted by joepythons
    While i do not have a spotted python but i do have a childrens python i will tell you what i was told.The childrens(spotted also) tend to need the same temps and such as the corn snakes do.I keep my temps at 80 to 85 range just like i do with my corn snakes.I wrote a updated care sheet for the corn snakes for ball-pythons.net and as soon as Judy(moving at this time) gets the time she is going to post it .Is there a chance you can get a pic of this snake? The reason i am asking this is sometimes people(pet stores) get snakes that are not really what they were told they are.Some babies are nippy some are not.My childrens python is as calm as evercan be,Steve(SPJ) has some that are EVIL the same goes for spotted pythons. If you have any questions let me know as i will be happy to help .

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Razaiel
    Thank you, Joe!! You know, BP.net was the first place I thought of looking for a caresheet and couldn't find one - great you've done one

I know what you mean about them getting confused as to what type they are (I read the other post). TBH it doesn't really matter to us, we like this snake anyway (is one to be more desired than the other?) I was going to ask (when I went in and only out of curiosity) if it was a cross at all, though it doesn't matter. I'll take a pic today with my phone - my camera has busted and I can't afford to get a new one - and I can't afford to get it repaired as it would cost more than a new one

Thank you for the help offer - I'm sure I shall take you up on that
    No problem thats why i am here .Well if you were wanting to breed down the line then it would matter(its genetics),since you want just a pet either one is great.Just remember EVERY baby snake veiws us as a predator thats going to eat them.So if you get a defense response just be gentle and if you need to buy a pair of gloves until he/she trusts you lol.I have a pic of my childrens python in a thread here(general i think) or i can post it here if you like.I will await your questions
    Joe Haggard

Thanks

Since i love sharing pic of my snakes here he/she is and he/she is pure childrens python.
    Joe Haggard

Thanks

Here's a book that was just recommended to me, since I'm trying to find info on them as well. http://www.beanfarm.com/cgi-bin/stor...ff&user4=Books
    Christie
    Reptile Geek

Cause when push comes to shove you taste what you're made of
    You might bend, till you break cause its all you can take
    On your knees you look up decide you've had enough
    You get mad you get strong wipe your hands shake it off
    Then you Stand

Thanks

Spotted are great snakes, I have a female Cape york and she has been nothing but a dream. My one tip though is to make sure that the spotted is eating on its own prior to you buying it as they can be very tough snakes to get to start eating mice. They can also take prey larger than most snakes there size.
    -Sean
    Mazdaspeed 3, yeah its silly fast!

Thanks

Lovely snake, Joe I saw her in the other thread and she's beautiful - so silky and smooth.

Sean, I asked my daughter today if the little guy was feeding and she said yes, he had fed but she didn't know how many feeds he'd taken. I shall ask the owner that next time I go in, it was a mad panic today to grab daughter from work experience to take her to her actual part-time work in our local supermarket.

That book looks good, Christie, I shall probably get that too

Thanks

Great they are tough starters but they never slow down once they start.
    -Sean
    Mazdaspeed 3, yeah its silly fast!

Thanks

I have a Spotted python pair, my temps are 82 degrees on the cool side and 92 degrees on the warm side, his humidity is around 60% and they are doing great and eating like pigs. They eat mice and baby rats. They have a hide spot on the cool and warm side so they can choose where to hide and feel secure and a water dish in the middle. Perfect sheds too. They are not evil or nippy at all, but mine are captive bred and that could be the difference.
    Thank you,

Mikey likes it!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast