Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,804

1 members and 2,803 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Best buy on bedding?

What has everyone found for the cheapest source for bedding? I've just been getting it from walmart is there a better way?

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Best buy on bedding?

Newspaper is by far the least expensive and most efficient bedding you can get.

Other than that...it probably depends on exactly what kind of bedding you're talking about. You can probably get better deals at feed stores or gardening stores (again, depending on what you're looking for).
    -- Judy

Thanks

Its for my breeder rats. What do you shred the newspaper?

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by biggc1
    Its for my breeder rats. What do you shred the newspaper?
    I should learn to check the forum category before throwing out answers too quickly! Sheets of newspaper are great for snakes...but would probably not work nearly so well for rodents.

There's folks here who buy a LOT of bedding for their rodent colonies...so hopefully they'll step in here and let you know where the good deals are.
    -- Judy

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

In order of cost:
    Tractor Supply
    Petsmart
    Walmart
    All of the above are for shredded aspen. The Tractor Supply aspen is larger shred, but still works fine.
    I try to get either the Petsmart($11 per bag) or Tractor Supply($6 per bag)
    If you want to use pine I'm sure the price goes down even further, but same places still apply. In Petsmart they sell Stall bedding for horses(pine shred) and its cheaper. I just don't use pine.
    Wolfy(15 bins of rats to change every week)

Thanks

Does the aspen help with the smell more than pine? What is the advantage of aspen over pine?

Thanks

I'm using aspen for both snakes and rodents, I had been using pine for rodents but I don't like how dusty it can get. I don't have that issue at all with aspen. I've been getting it from tractor supply but its more than $6 for the bags I'm getting I think its more like 8 or 9. Now that I'm going through more I might have to shop around.
    www.ASFRats.info African soft-furred rats information and exchange.

www.WarrenReptiles.com
    Website Hosting available see site for details

Thanks

OK, yes, even though it was a mistake and said on the wrong forum, do not use newspaper for rodents (unless it is the non-printed stuff). Newspaper ink can be toxic is eaten and can rub off on the rats. The rubbing off of ink isnt too bad I suppose unless they get inked and then sent to the snake. I don't know about you but I don't want to feed my snake inky rats. PLus, newspaper does not help with smell and is not very absorbant. Now if you are talking a paper product like cell sorb or yesterdays news, they are pretty absorbant. I still would not use it for rodents though (I used to use it for my ferrets). I just worry that the rats would eat it and fill their tummies with paper. I use aspen, so far so good. I am going to have to check out my tractor supply because the pet store here is pricey....maybe walmart too. I have shopping to do.

Thanks

I use low dust pine. If you don't get the right kind of pine, it can be SUPER dusty and SUCK.

I use laboratory grade pine from Harlan Teklad and pay $5.30 per 3 cubic feet compressed (about a 2 to 1 compression ratio normally)

I also have a local supply of pine for $5.50 per 3 cubic feet, and it is compressed 3 to 1, unfortunately it can vary from month to month and my latest batch was dusty :-/

Uncompressed I only use about 18-24 cubic feet a week and I'm dealing with 100 rat tubs and a few big cages.

I would say just shop around, walmart near us always has a very very very low dust chipped pine that work fairly well, but they changed their composition on us a few times so I gave up. (went to weird chips, and weird smelling)

Pine vs Aspen, pine wins every time as far as smell since it has a natural odor.
    bryan

Thanks

I have used the pine made for pets at walmart for my guinea pigs (when I had them) I can say that most of the time the pine was not very soft and didn't look comfortable for my pigs. Then again, sometimes it was supersoft....hit and miss thing I guess.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast